Learn how to make Moong Dal Halwa with step by procedure|Halwai style Moong Dal Halwa Recipe
- About the Recipe
- More reasons to have Moong Dal Halwa
- Is Moong Dal Halwa healthy
- Serving Suggestions
- Can I make Moong Dal Halwa ahead
- More Halwa Recipes from the blog
- More traditional Indian Desserts that you may enjoy in winters
About the Recipe
Ghee and nuts laden piping hot Moong Dal Halwa is a comforting treat in North Indian winters. Not only for parties many people make it in batches and like to have it for dessert after dinner. Having small portions of desserts after dinner is tradition in many families and is also considered good for digestion. Desserts made during winter months are loaded with ghee and nuts and a must have for many to keep the body warm and nourished.
Moong Dal Halwa is prepared in North India (Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh) during festivals and celebrations like marriage parties and other functions. Kids and grown ups all love Moong Dal Halwa. A bowl of warm moong dal halwa during chilly winter evenings soothes the senses and is an ultimate comfort dish.
More reasons to have Moong Dal Halwa
The ingredients used in Moong Dal Halwa not only add warmth to body but are also highly nutritious. Apart from being protein rich, the ingredients(ghee, nuts, moong dal) used in this are good for skin, hair. Moong dal is rich in potassium and magnesium and may help in regulating the blood pressure.
My hubby loves Moong Dal Halwa and it's he who enjoys it more than anyone else in family!! He and kids have sweet-tooth, so they love to indulge in such desserts.This Halwa is definitely rich in calories and sugar, but once in a while we can indulge in this calorie laden sweet treat especially on special occasions. As I always say, z
What is Halwa
Halwa is basically a pudding or soft fudge like dessert made with wheat or other grains and lentils. Popular Indian Halwa recipes in India are Sooji Halwa, Besan Halwa, Atte Ka Halwa, nuts like Badam Halwa and vegetables and fruits like Pumpkin and Carrot(Gajar) Ka Halwa), Pineapple Halwa.
Nowadays, other versions like Beetroot Halwa, Ragi Halwa, Buckwheat Halwa(Kuttu Ka Halwa) are also getting popular.
Moong Dal Halwa is made with split and skinned Moong lentil(Dhuli Moong Dal), which is soaked for few hrs, ground in coarse paste and cooked in ghee, nuts, khoya and milk. Sugar is added as sweetener. Many people also like to make it with green moong dal(split moong lentils). Soak it overnight wash it thoroughly a couple of times to remove the skin or peel and then use it to make Halwa.
Is Moong Dal Halwa healthy
Moong Dal Halwa is definitely rich in calories. Having this winter dessert in limited amount is good but when consumed in large amount may cause heavy stomach in those with weak digestion.
Lot of ghee is used in making this treat so, those who are on restricted diets due to high cholesterol and sugar should avoid having it regularly though you may indulge in this treat once in a while!!
Factors that one should keep in mind while making Moong Dal Halwa.
Moong Dal Halwa is a perfect crowd pleaser treat that your can make make ahead 2-3 days before a party or occasion. Though it takes a lot of time to cook and need continues stirring but, the result is worth taking all that efforts!!
It took me quite a few trials, to get the right consistency and texture to make just like the Halwai style Moong Dal Halwa. One time got too chewy texture, another time it was too grainy. Also, the first time when I cooked, it tasted little raw as I didn't stir it for the proper time.
- Soak Dal for at least 4 hrs. This makes Dal/lentil soft.
- Drain all the water from dal before grinding. Also, you may dry moong dal on a clean cotton cloth /kitchen towel. This dries out all the extra water. Then dry roast moong dal for 2-3 mins. This way it will take less time to roast dal in ghee and it will take less time to cook halwa.
- Add the right amount of milk and cook till ghee separates.
- Use a or well seasoned heavy bottom pan/kadhai or non stick pan, to prevent the sticking of dal.
- Keep on stirring halwa and keep the flame from medium to low.
- Add sugar as per your taste.
If we keep in mind these factors, you will get perfect melt-in-mouth texture and loads of praises for the delicious dessert treat.
Ingredients to make Moong Dal Halwa
Skinned and Split Moong Dal(Dhuli Moong Dal), Desi Ghee, Mixed nuts(Almond, Cashew Nuts) , Milk, Khoya* see notes below.
We like sugar on moderate side so I add 1/2 cup for 3/4 cup Moong Dal , if you like real sweet adjust as per your taste.
Notes: Use store-bought khoya or homemade. Check here how to make Homemade Khoya. Instructions for How to make Instant Khoya are in the recipe card.
How to make Halwai Style Moong Dal
- Wash lentil in water 2-3 times and soak in enough water for 4-5 hrs.
- Once ready to make, drain water and leave it on colander/sieve for sometime till the extra water drains out.You can also rub soaked dal in a clean kitchen towel to completely dry the remaining extra water.
- Dry roast dal in pan for few minutes.
- Grind dal coarsely.
- Dry roast chopped nuts
Take a non-stick pan or heavy bottomed pan, first roast nuts in 1 tbsp ghee till it gives aroma. Take out in a bowl and keep aside.
Next add remaining ghee, ground dal and roast till dal. Roast dal till it starts to leave ghee, becomes a bit grainy and starts to turn brown, keep stirring on low flame. You may add more 1-2 tbsp more ghee if required.
Now, add grated khoya and again cook for 10-15 minutes. Keep on stirring continuously and scrapping the sides and bottom.
Now, add milk along with saffron milk, cardamom powder and let it boil. Halwa at this stage will become a bit thick. Cook it for 1-2 mins. Then, next add sugar. Add half cup first, check with a tiny portion of halwa. Add more if required.
When sugar is added it melts so again cook halwa till it is thick and soft fudge like and starts leaving ghee.
Add roasted chopped nuts, mix well and serve hot.
Moong Dal halwa is served hot/warm and on it's own. But you may try it with some vanilla ice cream or rabri.
Can I make Moong Dal Halwa ahead
Moong Dal halwa is cooked in lots of ghee so it stays good for about a week. Since it has milk and khoya also so refrigerate it.
To serve stored Moong Dal halwa reheat it in microwave (1 min. High) or pan on stove top.
More Halwa Recipes from the blog
More traditional Indian Desserts that you may enjoy in winters
Moong Dal Halwa
- Kadhai/Heavy Bottomed pan
- Processor/Grinder to grind lentil.
- ¾ Cup Dhuli /Split Skinned Moong Lentil
- ½ Cup Khoya(homemade or store bought)
- ½ Cup Sugar/Jaggery adjust as per taste
- ½ Cup Mixed Nuts (Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Raisins, Pistachios)
- ½-¾ Cup Desi Ghee
- 2 Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
For Saffron Milk (optional)
- ¼ cup Milk
- 8-10 Saffron strands
- 1 Cup Milk Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Make Saffron Milk. Mix saffron strands in ¼ cup lukewarm milk.¼ cup Milk, 8-10 Saffron strands
- Wash lentil 2-3 times in running water and soak for at least 4-5 hrs.¾ Cup Dhuli /Split Skinned Moong Lentil
- Drain water and then leave it on colander/sieve to drain extra water.
- Rub dal in a clean cloth/kitchen towel for about so that water drains out completely.
- Grind dal coarsely. Chop nuts finely.
- Take a non-stick pan or heavy bottomed pan, add 1 tbsp ghee and first roast nuts till it gives aroma. Take out in a bowl and keep aside.½-¾ Cup Desi Ghee, ½ Cup Mixed Nuts (Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Raisins, Pistachios)
- Next add remaining ghee, ground dal and roast till dal starts to turn light brown. Keep stirring on low flame.½ Cup Sugar/Jaggery
- Add khoya and again cook for 10-15 minutes.½ Cup Khoya(homemade or store bought)
- Now, add milk, saffron milk, cardamom powder and let it boil. The mixture will start getting thick.2 Cup Milk, 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Next, add sugar/jaggery, half cup first, check with a tiny portion of halwa. Add more if required. Sugar melts on adding so cook again for few mins. till halwa starts getting thick.½ Cup Sugar/Jaggery
- Cook till it leaves ghee and starts becoming grainy.
Make Instant Khoya(optional)
- Take a cup of milk powder, add 2 tbsp of ghee, 2 tbsp of milk and microwave or cook till it thickens.2 tbsp Ghee, 2 tbsp Milk, 1 Cup Milk Powder
- Transfer to another bowl or plate, let it cool, knead it and then crumble to add in halwa.
Make this Royal rich Moong Dal Halwa and celebrate the auspicious festival with lights, crackers , food and fun!!
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!