Sooji Halwa Recipe | How to make Sooji Halwa | Rava Sheera Recipe
Sooji Halwa or Rava Sheera , most popular Indian dessert made with Semolina, Sugar, Ghee and Mixed Nuts
Sooji Ka Halwa is a delicious dessert made on festive and auspicious occasions as offering to God or celebrating big and small achievements of your loved ones. It is one of the simplest and quick recipes that come to your rescue when there are sweet cravings or some surprise guests show up or whenever there is a happy news in the family.
Sooji is also known as Rava and in many states of India Sooji Halwa is also known as RAVA SHEERA.
I loved Sooji ka Halwa when I was a kid(and still love it!!) and mom made it quite often for Prasad( offering to God) for neighborhood temple. Everyone in my family loves Sooji ka halwa and they can have it any time of the day. This warm and soft dessert is a great comfort food for cold or rainy days, and the heavenly aroma of roasted Sooji/Semolina and ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) soothes your senses and elevates the mood.
Sooji Halwa for special occasions and Navaratri
It is a must make dessert and Prasad during NAVARATRI in Northern India for KANYA POOJAN. Navaratri's are nine days period of fasting and prayers dedicated to Hindu Goddess Durga. It is celebrated all over India. In Northern India, Kanya Poojan is celebrated on the eighth day/ninth day. On this day, young girls are worshipped as the form of Goddess Durga. Prasad of Kala Chana(Black Chickpeas) and Halwa along with Poori (fried Indian flatbread) is offered and girls are also showered with small gifts.
Checkout more festive recipes here--
Ingredients to make Sooji Halwa
Three basic ingredients are required to make this dessert and it takes only 15 mins. from start to finish.
Sooji/Semolina- Use fine Sooji or Rava or cream of wheat (Farina).
Ghee- without it halwa is incomplete.
Sugar- Raw Cane Sugar or Castor Sugar. You can also add jaggery powder, but the taste will be a bit different than the one made with sugar.
Mixed Nuts and Raisins- Finely chopped almonds or cashew nuts, along with raisins. You can also add Chironji/Chiroli.
Tips to make perfect Rava Sheera
- Roast Sooji nicely, till it starts giving the roasted aroma. Else, halwa tastes raw.
- Take equal proportions of Sooji/Semolina, Sugar i.e ratio of sooji to sugar is 1:1.But, I keep it a bit less(minus 2 tbsp.), as we like moderately sweet desserts.
- Ratio of water to sooji is 4:1. This means if you are using 1/2 cup Sooji, measure 2 cups of water from the same measuring cup, as the adding less water can make the halwa dry or more water can make it too syrupy and can take longer to cook. Many people keep the ratio of water to sooji as 3:1, but I think the halwa gets a dry texture after keeping it for sometime. with 4:1 ratio, it stays melt in mouth for a long time.
- Cook halwa till it starts getting thick, of flowing consistency. If you cook it more, it starts getting dry once you keep it for sometime.
Many people use milk instead of water or a combination of both. But I prefer using water as cooking with milk makes it quite heavy on the stomach and also decreases the shelf life of halwa. And moreover mom made it this way and I am making this way ever since I remember.
Steps to make Sooji Halwa
- Take a non-stick or heavy bottomed steel kadhai or pan.
- Roast sooji till it starts giving a nice roasted aroma. Keep the flame on low as sooji can burn on high flame.
- Add ghee to it and roast till sooji starts turning light brown. Keep a check on the color, it should not turn to brown or dark brown.
- Also add finely chopped nuts while roasting sooji and ghee.
- Now add water in batches and keep on stirring.
- Add raisins(if you are using in recipe ) when you add water.
- Keep on stirring the halwa till it starts getting thick.
- Garnish it with more finely chopped nuts and serve hot.
Let's see the quick and simple way of making this yumm halwa my way!!
Sooji Halwa Recipe
- Non-Stick Pan/Heavy Bottom Stainless Steel Kadhai or Pan
- ½ Cup Sooji/Semolina Cream of Wheat
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Ghee
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder optional
- Mixed Nuts(Almonds and Cashews)
- 8-10 Raisins
- In a heavy bottom pan/kadhai or non stick pan, add sooji and start dry roasting it.
- When light aroma starts to come, add ghee and roast sooji till it is light brown in color.
- Also add finely chopped nuts.
- Once sooji is light brown on color, add sugar and sauté for a min.
- Next 3-4 cups water in batches. Keep on stirring the mixture.
- Cook till the mixture starts to thicken up and is of dropping consistency.
- Keep it for 1-2 mins and then serve hot.
- After keeping for sometime, halwa starts to get grainy.
Make it during any of your auspicious occasions or any kind celebrations. I always make this dessert during Ganapati and Navratri festivals or whenever my kids or hubby want!!
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!