Besan Ka Halwa..is a rich Indian traditional dessert made with besan(chickpea flour) in ghee with mixed nuts like almonds and cashew nuts.
This is a no fuss dessert recipe for festivals or special gatherings that gets ready within minutes. Besan or Chickpea(Garbanzo) flour is a gluten-free flour and is rich source of fibres, vitamins or minerals. Chickpeas promote weight loss, lower blood sugar level and improves immune function.
Chickpea flour or Besan is very good for cold and cough related infections..Besan Milk preparation is given to kids especially in winters for curing the cold and cough related infections. Click here for Besan Badam Doodh recipe. Not only for winters, chickpea flour preparations can be given during summers too. Besan Halwa, a delicious dessert can be consumed both in winters and summers,you can adjust the amount of nuts used during summers.
How to make and Ingredients of Besan Halwa…
For Besan Halwa all we need is Besan(Chickpea Flour), Desi Ghee,Sugar, Green Cardamom powder and Chopped Mixed Nuts. It is very important to roast besan well, else it gives a raw taste to palate.
We cook roasted besan with sugar and milk or water. I use mix of water and milk. Warm the liquid before adding to besan. Also, continuously stir the mix after adding liquid to avoid any lump formation. A little muscle work is needed for perfect texture.
Dry roasting the besan gives the nutty aroma.. believe me the house smells heaven with aroma of roasted besan.
Let’s see how I make this delicious dessert.. Besan ka Halwa
Besan Ka Halwa
- 1/2 Cup Besan/Chickpea Flour
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 1/3 Cup Sugar or as required(1/2 Cup)
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Mixed Nuts(Almonds, Cashew Nuts, Pistachios and Raisins)
- 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- Add ghee in a kadhai or a heavy bottomed pan. Add besan or chickpea flour.
- Roast besan in ghee till it gives aroma and gives a nutty aroma.
- Roasted chickpea flour will start bubbling, that is an indication that besan is done.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Add warm milk+water and start mixing. Continuously stir the mixture, till it is of creamy consistency.Do not cook til it gets too thick as the cooked hawa dries out after taking out off the flame.
- Garnish with nuts and serve hot.
Do make Besan Ka Halwa for any festive occasion as it is an easy and you don’t have to spend long hrs in kitchen. Make it as Prasad for Bhog(offering to God) and it tastes heaven. Give it your kids or anyone in the family whenever they suffer from cold and cough related infections.
I shall be happy to see your feedback whenever you make these. I will be glad to see the pics on any of my social media handles. FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) . You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Explore, Cook, Eat and Celebrate!!
Thanks for stopping by!!