Rajasthani Kabuli or Jodhpuri Pulao from the Royal Kitchens of Jodhpur (Rajasthan).
Rajasthan( a state in western part of India and one of the most internationally popular state) is famous for its rich and traditional culture and cuisine.The people there, their cuisine and the architecture everything represents the rich history. People are now follow their traditional culture whether in their costumes or in food.
One preparation that is very popular among the people there is Jodhpuri Kabuli or Rajasthani Kabuli Pulao that is prepared with dry fruits, vegetables and fresh fruit. Garnishing of fried bread slices and pomegranate pearls sets Rajasthani Kabuli apart from other rich rice preparations.
Other Popular Rajasthani recipes from the blog..
What is Rajasthani( Jodhpuri) Kabuli
Kabuli Pulao is famous in the Jodhpur region, and not many people know about it. It is made in Pucci Dum (Vegetable) Biryani style, where rice and vegetables are cooked separately and then layered in a heavy bottomed vessel or handi and cooked in dum style for 20-30 minutes. The taste of Kabuli is very different from vegetable biryani as the vegetables and nuts are deep fried. Also, many people add fresh fruits like pomegranate or grapes. This pulao also has deep fried bread pieces layered on the top which impart a distinct taste to the whole pulao.
I came across this Pulao years back, while in college(in Ajmer Rajasthan). One of my friend's mom made this for us when she invited us for lunch. That was something new for us at that time, so out of curiosity we asked about it. I almost forgot about this Pulao, when in one of NDTV's show by Chef Aditya Bal I saw and remembered how lovingly aunty(friend's mom) made this for us.Since then made it once or twice after that just to try it out as the Pulao is very heavy on stomach due to deep-fried nuts and vegetables. But the flavour and taste of this Pulao is very different and unique and what I like in it is the deep fried bread pieces. I know too much oil or deep fried is not good for health but once in a while one should not shy away from this kind of food, if it excites your taste buds. You can always walk an extra mile or do some workout to balance the extra calories!!
This month since I am participating in Mega Blogging Marathon where we have to cook any Pulao/Khichdi or Biryani using at least one grain. I am going alphabet-wise. I wanted to make this Pulao for the letter "J" but I didn't any pomegranate at my nearby store, so postponed to the letter "R". But again this week, I didn't get any pomegranate and so I decided to make it without and pomegranate seeds.The seeds add a nice flavour and color to the Pulao. Do use the it when you make pulao.
Let's see how we make this delicious pulao..
The main ingredients of this Pulao are a good quality Basmati rice. Rice should be washed 2-3 times in water, then soaked at least for 30 mins. Rice is then cooked till 80% done and then layered with the curd based veggie gravy.
Potatoes, Cauliflower and peas(in winters) are mainly added to the pulao. A variety of Yam known as Ratallu is also added. I have used potatoes and carrots, along with nuts like cashew nuts, almonds. Since I didn't have any pomegranate I added some raisins for sweetness. The veggies, nuts and bread pieces are deep fried then add to the spicy curd gravy.
The curd based vegetable curry is then layered with rice and cooked on dum for around 30 minutes on very low heat .
Rajasthani Kabuli /Jodhpuri Pulao
- 2 Cups Basamati Rice
- 1 Potato(Big) cubed
- 1/2 Cup Carrots slices
- 2-3 Bread Slices
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Cup Finely Sliced Onions
- 1.5 Cup Yogurt/Dahi/Curd
- 7-8 Cashew Nuts
- 7-8 Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Ghee
- 8-10 Saffron Strands
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Wash rice 2-3 times and soak in enough water for at least 30 mins.
- Cook Rice in 7-8 cups of water, till 80% done. Rice grains should be grainy not very soft.
- Spread rice on a plate so that the grains d not stick together.
- In a pan heat ghee, fry cubed potatoes, till soft and tender. Take out the potatoes and fry carrots for 2-3 minutes.
- I same ghee, add onions and fry till dark brown and crispy.
- Cut bread in small pieces, fry till brown and crisp. Also fry cashew nuts and almonds.
- Take curd/yogurt in a bowl, add all the dry masala powder and mix well.
- Transfer curd to the pan with ghee , and cook till yogurt leaves oil. Add the vegetables, dry fruits, raisins and salt and mix well.
- In a big heavy bottomed vessel spread 1-2 tbsp of curd mixed with ghee. This way the bottomed rice layer will not burn or stick to the pan.
- Layer, 1/3 rice to bottom and then spread half of the vegetable curry to the rice layer.
- Again, from the remaining rice,layer half of the rice above the vegetable layer and then layer the remaining rice on the top.
- Layer the fried bread pieces on the rice layer and then add the nuts, fried onions and some mint leaves. Also add the saffron infused milk in the middle of the layered pulao.
- Cover with the aluminium foil, put the pan on tawa or griddle and then cook on low flame for 30 mins.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds and fresh mint leaves and serve hot with some raita of your choice or just like that with any chutney..
So do,try this Rajasthani Pulao. that is rich in vegetables, nuts fresh fruits and gets its characteristic taste from the deep fried bread pieces that are added to the pulao.
If you like the recipe or have any queries, pls give your feedback or ask in the comment section.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
This is 16th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April'19.
Day 18. R.. Rajasthani Kabuli(Jodhpuri Pulao)
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
Day 12. L.. Lucknowi Veg. Dum Biryani
Day 13. M..Mixed Veg Pulao
Day 14. N.. No-Onion No-Garlic Kadhai Paneer Pulao
Day 15. O.. Oats and Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 16. P.. Pearl Pulao
Day 17. Q..Quinoa Pulao