Last Updated on
Tikadia, Rajasthani flatbread made with Whole Wheat flour.
Tikadia,also popular as Rajasthani Masala Roti or Moti Roti or Pyazz Tamatar Ki Roti or Parantha!!
Tikadia is made with or without onion tomato and cilantro/fresh coriander stuffing. When made without filling it is layered with red chilli powder and has a prominent cumin flavour. It is also known as Namak Mirch ki Roti.
Flatbreads in India, are an important part of meal. Each and every state or region has its own special bread. Like Missi Roti or Besani Roti from U.P, Makkai Ki Roti from Punjab, Bedmi Poori from Uttar Pradesh, Thepla from Gujarat. There are shallow fried, deep or non-fried breads. For many meals are incomplete without rotis and parathas.
The Theme and the Challenge– Rajasthani Cuisine and Two Secret Ingredients!!
I recently joined a facebook group Shh… Cooking secretly challenge group started by Priya of Priya’s Versatile Recipes, where every month food bloggers are paired up and give each other 2 secret ingredients to cook with according to the theme chosen.
I was added in the group by Mayuriji who blogs at Mayuri’s Jikoni. Do check out her blog that is very versatile from traditional Gujarati cuisine, baking and fusion dishes!! I love her writing style, how she connects each post with her day to day experiences and creates memories through her blog!!
This is my first post in the group and I am paired with Aparna Parinam who like me, has joined the group recently. She gave me two secret ingredients, Whole Wheat Flour and Red Chilli Powder. The first thought that came to my mind was Masala Parantha or Onion Tomato Parantha/Roti. I gave her Yogurt/curd as secret ingredient waiting to see what she with it!!
Do check out her wonderful blog Tangy Tales with lots of the traditional Indian recipes for everyone. She has recently won an International Gourmet Award for her cookbook on Indian Chutneys. Hop on to her blog to know more details!!
Rajasthan The Land of Royal with Rich Heritage and Culture
Rajasthan is a very colorful state. Simple and loving people with rich heritage and culture. Internationally it is one of the most visited tourist destination. I love Rajasthani Cuisine as I have spent my college years there in hostel and relished the delicacies that my college friends from the city, used to treat us. Be it Dal Baati Churma, Bajre ki Khichdi, Gatte Ki Subzi or Jodhpuri Kabuli Pulao, Missi Roti each and every dish is so rich in flavours.
Do check out some of the other Rajasthani dishes from the cuisine on my blog. Rajasthani Kachori, Gatte Ka Pulao, Jaisalmeri or Chatpate Kale Chane and many more . There are many simple and everyday meal dishes also that I will posting every now and then. Rajasthani food is very much similar to the food of western Uttar Pradesh where I come from!!
How to make Tikadia
Takida as mentioned above is made with Whole Wheat Flour. You can mix besan/Chickpea flour, Makaai Atta(Cornmeal) also if you like.
Tikadia is made with or without filling. Onion, Tomato and fresh Cilantro/Coriander leaves are used for filling. Red Chilli Powder, Cumin seeds are the other main ingredients.
Knead soft dough of whole wheat flour with salt and some ghee.
Add filling and roll out Tikadia.
Cook from both side with ghee(preferably) or oil from both sides. You can cook it like roti or chapati without ghee/oil, but smear in ghee before serving!!
Let’s see how to make Tikadia with and without filling..
- Mixing Bowl /Parath
- Spoons and Ladles
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour/Atta
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Finely chopped Onions
- 2 tbsp Finely Chopped Tomato
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- 1 tsp Finely chopped Fresh Cilantro/Coriander Leaves
- Ghee or Oil for Frying Paranthas
- In a mixing bowl, add whole wheat flour, salt ajwain/caraway seeds and ghee/oil.
- Knead soft dough with water.
- Divide the dough in equal portions .
For Plain Tikadia
- Take one portion,roll out a circular disc as shown in pic.
- Spread oil/ghee add on rolled roti. Spread ghee/oil. Sprinkle red chilli powder, cumin seeds.
- Roll it out just like a roulade or pinwheel biscuit, as shown in pic and roll into circular dics.
- Repeat the same with all the dough balls.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle and cook chapati on medium heat from both sides till brown and crispy.
For Stuffed Tikadia
- In a bowl add and mix onion and tomato with salt, red chilli powder, cilantro leaves and cumin seeds.
- Roll out on of the dough portions as shown in pic.
- Add some filling on the portion, gather the edges and seal the dough.
- Dust with flour and roll out circular chaptis /discs of around 6".
- Cook on medium flame on griddle from both sides with ghee/oil till light brown.
- Serve hot and fresh with yogurt or curry of your choice.
Knead Dough for Roti/Parantha
Plain Tikadia with Red Chilli Powder and Cumin Seeds
Tikadia with Onion and Tomato Filling
Pair up Masala Tikadia with any curry or lentils like Aloo Tamatar, Dals/Lentils(Dhuli Masoor Dal). Stuffed Tikadia pairs up best with any yogurt preparation like Raita or chaas and even plain yogurt.
Stuffed Tikadia is usually served for breakfast but you can serve it for main course also. Make this Masala Roti especially when guests arrive or to perk up your festive or special occasion Thalis.
Give me your feedback about the post and recipe whenever you make it.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button to subscribe to my blog to get notifications on new posts. Also do share the blog info with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!