Last Updated on
Kashmiri Pulao, a rich Pulao recipe from the beautiful state of Kashmir (India). A flavorful rice preparation where, cooked rice is tossed with nuts/dry fruits and fresh fruits.
The dish is also infused with saffron milk for the flavor and beautiful color.
Kashmir in India is known for its natural beauty. Kashmir not only has beautiful landscapes with some of the most beautiful gardens in world, but also has a rich traditional cuisine. Kashmiri Cuisine (food from Jammu and Kashmir) has some of the most flavorful and rich dishes. Rice is the staple dish of Kashmiris and it is consumed with various gravies or in the form of various biryanis and pulao.
Kashmiri Pulao is slightly different from our usual pulao recipes. The pulao has a slight sweeter and it is not at all spicy. Cooked rice is tossed with fried onions, dry fruits and fresh fruits like apples, pomegranate and grapes. Making Kashmiri Pulao may seem a time-consuming process but believe it is very simple and the delicious rich pulao is ready within 30 minutes.
What I need to make Kashmiri Pulao..
- A good quality basmati rice. Long grain rice with each grain separate.
- Saffron.. infused in milk or directly added to rice along with milk.
- Nuts of your choice like almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios and raisins or dried cranberries. Many people also add dates and dried apricots..
- Fresh fruits like apples, grapes and pomegranate.
- Pulao is cooked in desi ghee. It enhances the taste and makes rice more flavourful.
- Fried Onions.
To get perfectly cooked Pulao
There are many variations of Kashmiri Pulao and people have different way of making it. Many people first fry rice in desi ghee and whole spices. It is then cooked in milk and water with saffron added to it. Then it is mixed with fried onions, nuts and raisins. I cook rice first then toss it in whole spices, nuts and raisins.
You can cook steamed rice with whole spices or plain or you can even use jeera rice and then follow the procedure to toss it with fried nuts and raisins and infuse it with saffron milk. For making steamed rice follow the recipe.. Steamed Rice, for Jeera rice recipe click here.
This may not be the authentic way to make Kashmiri Pulao, but is somewhat close to what is served in restaurants. Years back I saw this recipe on a NDTV Show. I make it sometimes on special occasions and it is my hubby’s one of the favourite. Once I served it to our American guests and they just loved this rich Pulao recipe.
Let’s see how to make this flavorful rich Kashmiri Pulao.
- 1.5 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 8-10 Saffron Strands
- 1/2 Cup Thinly sliced Onions
- 8-10 Almonds
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts
- 10-12 Raisins and Cranberries
- 2 tbsp Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 2 Bay Leafs
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 3-4 Green Cardamoms
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 4-5 Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Sliced apples cubes
- 1 tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice -2-3 times. Soak in enough water for at least 30 min. Add saffron strands in milk to prepare infused saffron milk.
- In a pan fill enough water and cook rice till half done. Drain water from rice and keep aside.
- In a pan add ghee and fry cashew nuts and almonds till light brown and give aroma. Take out and keep aside.
- Add raisins and cranberries and fry for a minute. Take out and keep aside.
- Add thinly sliced onions, and fry till brown, Add sugar, it helps in quick caramelisation of onions.
- Once the onions are brown, take out. In remaining ghee add the whole spices and rice and salt.
- Add saffron infused rice, onions, fried nuts and dry fruits(raisins and cranberries).
- Mix rice with other ingredients with very light hands. Take care the rice should not get mushy.
- Add mint leaves roughly torn. Cover the pan with for few minutes and keep for 5 minutes on low flame. This will infuse all the flavours in rice,
- Before serving garnish pulao with pomegranate seeds and cubed apples.
I am sure you and your loved ones will love this. Make it on special occasions, festivals or get togethers.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
This is 10th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon April’19.
Day 11. K.. Kashmiri Pulao
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4. D..Dhaniya Pulao
Day 6. F.. Fresh Mint and Peas Pulao
Day 7. G.. Gatte Ka Pulao
Day 8. H.. Hari Moong Dal Khichdi
Day 9. I.. Iyengar Puliyogare(Instant)
Day 10. J.. Jeera Rice