One pot, gluten-free and easy to prepare meal, made with rice, mushrooms and broccoli. A simple yet flavorful meal that comes together in just 15 minutes.
A perfect recipe for lunch box, quick dinner time or when you want something different to serve to your guests. If you are broccoli and mushroom lover like me then you will surely love this recipe!!
I love Broccoli more than cauliflower, though both belong to the same group of veggies but still for me Broccoli is much more rich in flavours. I like to have broccoli in my grilled veggie platter with different dips(Grilled Veggies with creamy avocado dip) or in stir fry’s in Indo-Chinese flavours(Broccoli and Mushroom stir fry)
One thing I struggle is feeding Broccoli to my kids. Don’t know why both of them just don’t like this veggie.. I have to sneak it into their sandwiches. I make these Cheesy Quesadillas where I sneak in broccoli with cheese and ketchup. Sometime they will have the Chinese stir-fry version but not very happily. They are not very fussy kids but then when it comes to broccoli then they will just make faces :).
Health benefits of Broccoli and Mushrooms..
Broccoli is loaded with antioxidants, Vitamins and mineral. These are good for controlling the blood sugar levels, good for dental health and immune system as it is loaded with loads of Vit. C. It is a rich source of VitA, Vit K and calcium that makes our bones strong. To know more about the health benefits of Broccoli, check out this link..
I also love Mushrooms and relish it especially in stir frys in with Chinese sauces. Broccoli and Mushroom combination works so well in grilled veggie platter or stir frys or kroma. Mushrooms are the superfood, very low in calories and rich in calcium and proteins. Because of he meaty texture these are good substitute of meat for vegetarians and vegans.
This can be prepared in Instant Pot and Stovetop Pressure cooker as well.
You can cook it in an open pan, but it takes little longer than cooking in pressure cooker. Here I am giving the recipe for both Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker Method.
Let’s see how I made this Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao!!
To make this pulao, I marinated mushrooms and broccoli in yogurt with Indian spices. Vegans can use any plant based yogurt in place of dairy yogurt.
Rice should be soaked at least 15-20 minutes before making the pulao. I use Basmati rice for every meals, you can you any variety of rice to make.
Cooking time will depend on the quality of the rice that you are using. Like Brown Rice takes more time to cook than white rice.
Also, I have used Button Mushrooms in pulao you can add any variety like Portobello..
Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao/Pilaf
- 3/4 Cup Basmati Rice
- 5-6 Button Mushrooms use any of your choice
- 5-6 Broccoli florets
- 1/2 Cup Roughly chopped onions
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt/Dahi/Curd use plant based for vegan friendly
- Ginger small piece(around 1/2")
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 Green Chillies or as required
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil use any of your choice
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick (small)
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for about 15-20 minutes. Also, wash Mushrooms and Broccoli and cut Mushroom in half.
- Make paste of garlic ginger and green chilli.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and broccoli florets in dahi/yogurt. Add some coriander powder and garam masala /powder. If you have some green chutney handy then add to a tbsp to it. It will enhance the flavour.
- Switch on the Instant Pot. Set on Saute Mode and add oil to the inner pot. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Add oil when the screen displays 'Hot' add the whole spices along with cumin.
- Add Ginger-garlic and chilli paste and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Add onions and saute onions till light pink.
- If garlic is sticking to the base of inner pot, add 1-2 tbsp of water else it masala will stick to the bottom and start to burn.
- Add the yogurt mix to the the pot, mix.
- Drain water from rice and add to the masala. Add salt, red chilli powder(optional) and salt as per taste.
- Finally add water just enough to soak rice. Do not add too much water as mushrooms also leave some water while being cooked.
- Finally, cancel the saute mode. seal the cover on top, and switch on the pressure cook mode on low. The pulao burns sometimes at the base of inner pot so I keep the pressure to low. Set the timer for 4-5 minutes depending the type of rice you use,
- Once the timer goes of, release the pressure manually and check the pulao. Top it with some butter and serve hot with mint raita or yogurt. I love it with cilantro and green chutney also.
Stove-Top Pressure Cooker Method
- To cook in pressure cooker, follow all the steps from soaking the rice, to cutting veggies, and making masala and adding rice and water. Cook Rice for 2 whistles after closing lid, and let the pressure release itself come down. Fluff the rice lightly with fork and serve hot. Keep the flame to medium, to avoid burning rice at the bottom.
- Take care, that masala doesn't stick to the base of inner pot, else instant pot will give burn indication and rice will not cook properly.
- It takes 5 minutes to cook the variety of Basmati Rice I cook.
- Do not cut the broccoli florets and mushroom to small pieces, these get very mushy and won't like the texture of Pulao.
- Vegan can substitute coconut milk, with yogurt. For this add the veggies directly after saute the onions. Add masala, rice and then coconut milk. Adjust the amount of milk as per the the rice used in the recipe. Do not add water.
- Or, use Plant based yogurt like cashew yogurt to marinate broccoli and mushrooms.
So do make this easy peasy pulao recipe for quick and light meal. Serve it to your guests who like mushroom and broccoli, they will definitely love this rice preparation. Goes well with mint cucumber raita or try it with spinach and pomegranate raita. Plain yogurt is also goes well with it.
Don’t forget to give me your feedback.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Linking it to Day 2 for the April ’19 Mega Marathon for the theme… A-Z of Biryanis/Pulao/Khichdi.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!