Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao/Pilaf
One pot, gluten-free and easy to prepare meal, made with rice, mushrooms and broccoli. A simple yet flavourful meal that comes together in 15 minutes flat. Instant Pot recipe for Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao/Pilaf.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 2 people
- 3/4 Cup Basmati Rice
- 5-6 Button Mushrooms use any of your choice
- 5-6 Broccoli florets
- 1/2 Cup Roughly chopped onions
- 1/2 Cup Yogurt/Dahi/Curd
- Ginger small piece(around 1/2")
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 Green Chillies or as required
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil use any of your choice
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick (small)
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
Wash and soak rice for about 15-20 minutes. Also, wash Mushrooms and Broccoli and cut Mushroom in half.
Make paste of garlic ginger and green chilli.
Add the chopped mushrooms and broccoli florets in dahi/yogurt. Add some coriander powder and garam masala /powder. If you have some green chutney handy then add to a tbsp to it. It will enhance the flavour.
Switch on the Instant Pot. Set on Saute Mode and add oil to the inner pot. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
Add oil when the screen displays 'Hot' add the whole spices along with cumin.
Add Ginger-garlic and chilli paste and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Add onions and saute onions till light pink.
If garlic is sticking to the base of inner pot, add 1-2 tbsp of water else it masala will stick to the bottom and start to burn.
Add the yogurt mix to the the pot, mix.
Drain water from rice and add to the masala. Add salt, red chilli powder(optional) and salt as per taste.
Finally add water just enough to soak rice. Do not add too much water as mushrooms also leave some water while being cooked.
Finally, cancel the saute mode. seal the cover on top, and switch on the pressure cook mode on low. The pulao burns sometimes at the base of inner pot so I keep the pressure to low. Set the timer for 4-5 minutes depending the type of rice you use,
Once the timer goes of, release the pressure manually and check the pulao. Top it with some butter and serve hot with mint raita or yogurt. I love it with cilantro and green chutney also.
Stove-Top Pressure Cooker Method
To cook in pressure cooker, follow all the steps from soaking the rice, to cutting veggies, and making masala and adding rice and water. Cook Rice for 2 whistles after closing lid, and let the pressure release itself come down. Fluff the rice lightly with fork and serve hot. Keep the flame to medium, to avoid burning rice at the bottom.
- Take care, that masala doesn't stick to the base of inner pot, else instant pot will give burn indication and rice will not cook properly.
- It takes 5 minutes to cook the variety of Basmati Rice I cook.
- Do not cut the broccoli florets and mushroom to small pieces, these get very mushy and won't like the texture of Pulao.
- Vegan can substitute coconut milk, with yogurt. For this add the veggies directly after saute the onions. Add masala, rice and then coconut milk. Adjust the amount of milk as per the the rice used in the recipe. Do not add water.