Instant Pot Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao Recipe| Learn how to make Broccoli and Mushroom Rice in Instant Pot
One pot, gluten-free and easy to prepare meal, made with aromatic basmati rice, mushrooms and broccoli. A simple yet flavorful meal that comes together under 30 mins.
A perfect recipe for lunch box, quick dinner time or when you want something different to serve to your guests. If you are broccoli and mushroom lover like me then you will surely love this recipe!!
- About the Recipe
- Ingredients to make Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao
- Let's see how I made this Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao in Instant Pot!!
- How to make Instant Pot Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
- Tips on how to make perfect Broccoli and Mushroom Rice in Instant Pot
- How to make Pressure Cooker Broccoli Mushroom Rice/Pulao
- Recipe Card for Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao
- Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao/Pilaf
About the Recipe
Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao is a one pot, delicious healthy meal option for your family. Made with fresh broccoli, button mushrooms and basmati rice, this is a hearty meal for those who love broccoli and mushrooms.
You can make it in Instant Pot which is very convenient and fuss free, And, you can also make it in Indian Stove top Pressure Cooker. You can also cook in open pan but it takes a bit longer time.
Health benefits of Broccoli and Mushrooms
Broccoli is loaded with antioxidants, Vitamins and mineral. These are good for controlling the blood sugar levels, good for dental health and immune system as it is loaded with loads of Vit. C. It is a rich source of Vit A, Vit K and calcium that makes our bones strong. To know more about the health benefits of Broccoli, check out this link.
Mushrooms are the superfood, very low in calories and rich in calcium and proteins. Because of he meaty texture these are good substitute of meat for vegetarians and vegans.
Broccoli and Mushroom combination works so well together in grilled veggie platter, fried rice, stir-fry's or or korma/curries.
Recipes with Broccoli and Mushrooms
Try these Cheesy Quesadillas made with broccoli and cheese and loaded with flavours make a filling meal on it's own.
If you love mushroom then you will surely love to try these recipes
Ingredients to make Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao
Broccoli- I use fresh broccoli in the recipe but you can also use frozen broccoli and add directly without thawing. Just rinse in water 1-2 times before adding.
Mushrooms- Button mushrooms are used in the recipe as at my place I easily get these. You can also use Portobello, Baby Bella Shitake or Oyster. When using dried mushrooms hydrate before using.
Yogurt- It adds a biryani like flavour to pulao along with spices. Vegans can use plant yogurt in the recipe to make it vegan friendly.
Spices- Whole spices like bay leaf cinnamon stick, black pepper, cloves and cardamom add so much flavour and also aid in digestion.
Other- Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Oil (or ghee if there are no Vegan limitations).
You can cook it in an open pan, but it takes little longer than cooking in pressure cooker. Here I am giving the recipe for both Instant Pot and Pressure Cooker Method.
Let's see how I made this Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao in Instant Pot!!
Making Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao in Instant Pot is so easy, quick and fuss free.
I still love my traditonal Indian Cooker but making curries, pulao and biryani in Instant Pot is now such a breeze. I can even go out or do other chores while the food is being cooked after setting the time and don't have to watch over the whistles as in our traditonal pressure cooker..
Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
Instant Pot is a wonderful kitchen gadget which is of great use when it comes to fuss-free one pot cooking.
I love using my Instant Pot Ultra for making dal, soups, pasta, rice/pilaf, proofing pizza dough and many more ways..
Do you know you can ferment your Dosa/Idli batter in Instant Pot and also use it to make rich and creamy Yogurt
Usually stove top cooking we need to keep a check on the no. of whistles. While cooking in IP simply set the timer and do your other work.
Then there is no spilling of dal water on counter, which is a common problem with pressure cooker.
We can cook two things together in with Pot in Pot(PIP) method, using stackable container for Instant pot. Will cover the PIP method of how I make Dal and Rice or Dal and subzi for the meal together.
Instant Pot Recipes from the blog that I love to make
and for many more Instant Pot recipes .. CLICK HERE
How to make Instant Pot Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
- Wash rice 2-3 times and then soak it in enough water for at least 15 mins. before cooking.
- Chop mushroom, cut bigger ones in half and keep the small ones. Separate broccoli florets. If using frozen broccoli, rinse 1-2 times in water.
- Make coarse paste of ginger garlic and green chilli.
- In a bowl, add yogurt, red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp garam, masala. Add broccoli and mushrooms and nicely coat in yogurt mixture.
- Switch on the Instant Pot and set Sauté Mode for 10 mins.
- Heat oil and add whole spices. Then add cumin seeds, when seeds crackle, add ginger garlic and chilli paste.
- Sauté for a minute and then add onions. Sauté till onions turn light brown.
- Now add yogurt mix. and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Add rest of the spices(red chilli, coriander powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala).
- Drain water from rice and add to the masala.
- Add salt as per taste and water just above the level of rice.
- Turn off the SAUTE Mode and Switch on the PRESSURE COOK Mode and set for 5 mins.
- When the time is off, wait for 5 mins and then open the lid after doing the QPR.
- Lightly fluff the rice with the help of a fork.
- Serve hot.
Stepwise pics for the method
Tips on how to make perfect Broccoli and Mushroom Rice in Instant Pot
- Rice should be soaked at least 15-20 minutes before making the pulao. I use Basmati rice for every meals, you can you any variety of rice to make, but prefer long grain rice.
- Cooking time depends on the quality of the rice that you are using. Like Brown Rice takes more time to cook than white rice.
- To make this pulao, I marinated mushrooms and broccoli in yogurt with Indian spices. Vegans can use any plant based yogurt in place of dairy yogurt.
- I have used Button Mushrooms in pulao you can add any variety like Portobello/baby bella or oyster.
- When making in Instant Pot, keep the temp. to medium while sautéing and making pulao masala, as the spices and yogurt might stick to bottom and rice may get burned.
- Fluff rice lightly after opening the lid, as pulao may get mushy.
How to make Pressure Cooker Broccoli Mushroom Rice/Pulao
Check the recipe card for details
Yes we can make ahead this pulao and keep it for weekly meal preps. In refrigerator it stays good for 2-3 days. Freeze it in small freezer friendly zip locks or containers as per the portions required for each day. Thaw before reheating and do not refreeze the thawed rice. Finish it on the same day.
Yes you can use brown rice in the recipe. Water content and cooking time will increase accordingly as per the brand of rice you are using.
You can use any other veggies of your choice like carrots, cauliflower, beans brinjal etc.
You can replace mushrooms with tofu and paneer cubes. Cut into small cubes and marinate along with broccoli or other vegetables.
Recipe Card for Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao
Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao/Pilaf
- Instant Pot
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 7-8 Button Mushrooms
- ½ cup Broccoli florets or 8-10 florets
- ½ Cup Roughly chopped onions
- ½ Cup Yogurt/Dahi/Curd use plant based for vegan friendly
- Ginger small piece(around 1/2")
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 Green Chillies or as required optional
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil use any of your choice
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Star Anise
- 4-5 Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon stick (small)
- 2 tsp Garam Masala adjust as per your taste
- 1½ tsp Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice for about 15-20 minutes. Also, wash Mushrooms and Broccoli and cut Mushroom in half or as per the size. No need to cut small mushrooms.1 Cup Basmati Rice, 7-8 Button Mushrooms, ½ cup Broccoli florets
- Make paste of garlic ginger and green chilli.Ginger small piece(around 1/2"), 2-3 Garlic Cloves, 1-2 Green Chillies or as required
- In a bowl add yogurt, coriander powder, garam masala, red chilli powder.½ Cup Yogurt/Dahi/Curd, 1½ tsp Coriander Powder, 2 tsp Garam Masala
- Add the chopped mushrooms and broccoli florets in dahi/yogurt. If you have some green chutney handy then add a tbsp to it. It will enhance the flavour.
- Switch on the Instant Pot. Set on Sauté Mode and add oil to the inner pot. Set the timer for 10 minutes.2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Add oil when the screen displays 'Hot' add the whole spices along with cumin.½ tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Star Anise, 4-5 Peppercorns, 4-5 Cloves, 1 Cinnamon stick (small)
- Add Ginger-garlic and chilli paste and saute till the raw smell of garlic goes away. Add onions and sauté onions till light pink. You can keep the heat to medium.½ Cup Roughly chopped onions
- If garlic is sticking to the base of inner pot, add 1-2 tbsp of water else masala will stick to the bottom and start to burn.
- Now add marinade.
- Add the rest of coriander powder, garam masala , red chilli powder(as per your taste). You can skip red chilli powder if adding green chiilies in ginger garlic paste.
- Cook for 1 min.
- Drain water from rice and add to masala.
- Finally add salt and water just enough to soak rice. Do not add too much water as mushrooms also leave some water while being cooked.Salt to taste
- Finally, cancel the Sauté mode. seal the cover on top, and switch on the PRESSURE COOK mode on low. The pulao burns sometimes at the base of inner pot so I keep the pressure to low. Set the timer for 4-5 minutes depending the type of rice you use,
- Once the timer goes of wait for 5 mins and then release the pressure manually and check the pulao.
- Top it with some butter and serve hot with mint raita or yogurt. I love it with cilantro and green chutney also.
Stove-Top Pressure Cooker Method
- To cook in pressure cooker, follow all the steps from soaking the rice, to cutting veggies, and making masala and adding rice and water.
- Cook Rice for 2 whistles after closing lid, and let the pressure release itself come down.
- Fluff the rice lightly with fork and serve hot. Keep the flame to medium, to avoid burning rice at the bottom.
To cook Broccoli and Mushroom Rice in a pan
- Follow all the steps from making masala for pulao till adding rice and salt.
- Add about 1½ cup water as rice soak more water when cooked in open pan.
- Cook on high flame for 2-3 mins. or till a boil comes, and then lower the flame and cook till all the water dries.
- Check rice and see if the grains are cooked.
- If required you can add little more water, and then cook rice covered on low flame for another 5 mins.
- Lightly fluff rice when checking and serve hot.
- Take care, that masala doesn't stick to the base of inner pot, else instant pot will give burn indication and rice will not cook properly.
- It takes 8 minutes to cook the variety of Basmati Rice I cook. This is minus the time IP takes to come to pressure.
- Do not cut the broccoli florets and mushroom to small pieces, these get very mushy and won't like the texture of Pulao.
- Vegans can substitute vegan yogurt with dairy yogurt to marinate broccoli and mushrooms.
- The method to make Broccoli and Mushroom Pulao is same for any brand of Electric Pressure Cooker.
So do make this easy peasy pulao recipe for quick and light meal. Serve it to your guests who like mushroom and broccoli, they will definitely love this rice preparation. Goes well with mint cucumber raita or try it with spinach and pomegranate raita. Plain yogurt is also goes well with it.
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!
Linking it to Day 2 for the April '19 Mega Marathon for the theme... A-Z of Biryanis/Pulao/Khichdi.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!