Fresh Mint Leaves and Peas Pulao is rice cooked in fresh mint leaves, aromatic Indian whole spices, with or without vegetables and nuts like cashews or almonds. A one pot meal that is ready under 30 minutes.
It is a very popular rice preparation that is usually made during festivals or special occasions. One of the easiest rice preparation that can be relished with curries like Chole Masala, Dum Aloo, Aloo Tamatar, Matar Paneer or Mix. Vegetable curry. You can also make it for quick-lunch or dinner option and relish with plain yogurt or raita. A perfect refreshing meal for summers. A quick wholesome meal that can also be packed in kiddos lunchbox.
The best thing about this rice preparation is that you don’t have to grind any masala, pastes or need lot of veggies to make this. Make it with whatever veggies are available at home.
I have added freshly chopped mint leaves, onions and peas. Omit onions and make it no-onion no garlic dish. Add veggies of your choice like carrots, potatoes or even boiled chickpeas to add nutritious value to pulao.
Mint or Pudina herb not only enhances the flavour of food but also has a cooling effect on body. It is has nutrients that provide immunity to body from cold and cough, good for digestion and
How to cook Fresh Mint and Peas Rice Pulao
Mint rice can be cooked in pressure cooker, Instant Pot or an open pan on the stove-top. While cooking in open pan on stove-top, increase the amount of water added to cook rice. In Instant pot it takes just 5 minutes to cook(minus the time Instant pot takes to come to pressure). In pressure cooker, cook pulao till 2 whistles and let the pressure release naturally. The timings are as per the Basmati Rice I use( Royal Basmati Rice). Adjust the timing as per the variety of rice you use.
Many people make a paste of mint leaves and add to rice. But here in the recipe I have added finely chopped fresh mint leaves. the flavour remains the same whether you add chopped leaves or paste.
Also adding onions is optional. I do not add ginger garlic paste in this. Feel free to add it if you want.
Let’s see how I make this aromatic Fresh Mint Rice Pulao
Fresh Mint leaves and Peas Pulao
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup Peas(Fresh or Frozen)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mint leaves
- 1 Onion (small)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Pepeprcorns
- 1-2 Black Cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon stick(small)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/Jeera
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil(or any flavourless vegetable oil)/Desi Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice and soak for at least 15-20 minutes.
- In pressure cooker, add oil/ghee, once it is hot, add the whole spices and cumin seeds.
- When the flavour from the spices starts to come, add thinly sliced onions and saute till light brown. Add finely chopped green chillies if your want.
- Add peas and garam masala and mix well. Add red chilli powder if you want spicy pulao.
- Drain water from soaked rice , add to onion pea masala. Add finely chopped mint leaves,mix and add water just enough to soak rice.
- Cook for 2 whistles after that take off the gas and wait till the pressure releases on its own.
- Check for the doneness of rice and serve hot with the curry or yogurt preparation of your choice.
Do give me your feedback and you can get in touch with me anytime if you have any queries..
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
This is 6th in my series of A-Z Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes, that I am taking to Mega Blogging Marathon.
Day 6. F..Fresh Mint Leaves and Peas Rice Pulao
This is an event where I along with a group of fellow bloggers are blogging everyday about Biryani/Pulao/Khichdi dishes this whole April, with Sundays off.
My earlier posts for the event..
Day 1. A.. Aloo Matar Ki Tehri
Day 2. B..Broccoli Mushroom Pulao
Day 3 . C..Chana Dal Khichdi
Day 4.. D.. Dhaniya Pulao