Last Updated on
Basil Pesto Bread, a flavorful bread made with homemade basil pesto. A simple bread that is perfect to go with pasta, soups or any side dishes. Toasted basil bread with butter takes the taste of the bread to another level. Make best vegetable sandwiches or bake some bread bake it with loads of cheese, onions and toppings of your choice to make a perfect bread pizza. I bake breads at home most of the time and love to add the flavors like basil pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto or make masala bread using fresh coriander leaves mixed with Indian spices. This basil pesto bread is a variation of the masala bread, where I have used my homemade basil pesto for flavoring the bread.
I am taking this flavorful bread for Bake-A-Thon Dec’18 for Day 11
To make this bread I have used 1:1 Wheat Flour and All-purpose flour, Instant yeast, Olive oil, and my home made basil pesto. First proofing for the bread takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the weather conditions. Second proofing takes half an hour or 45 minutes. It takes around an hour to bake the bread at 325°F or 170°C.
Let’s see the recipe of my homemade basil pesto bread..
Basil Pesto Bread
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1-2 Tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or use any flavorless oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Basil Pesto homemade/store-bought
- 120 ml Water
- Mix together the flours, salt,sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add instant yeast and add water. Water should be slightly warm enough to touch.
- Make a well in the center and add water, start mixing the flour. When the flour is just combined, leave it for 5 mins and then start kneading.
- Transfer the dough to the counter, dusted with flour, knead to as smooth and soft dough. Try to use very little flour, as the dough can become more dry.
- Keep the dough for first proofing in a lightly oiled bowl, covered with a damp towel.
- Once the dough is proofed, check the proofed dough with dimple test. Poke a finger in the dough and make a dimple, if the dough bounces back a little the dough is proofed.
- Take the proofed dough on the counter, spread a little add oil and pesto and knead into the flour till the pesto and oil incorporates into the dough.
- You can also roll the bread using a rolling pin in a rectangular shape, spread pesto on the dough and make a tight jelly roll, for the pin-wheel bread.
- Keep the dough for second proofing, this will take another 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325F or 170C, once the bread starts rising.
- When the bread is proofed, brush with milk and oil mix (milk wash), and bake for 45-50 minutes in pre-heated oven.
- After 45 minutes, check the bread, it should be brown, crusty. Check carefully using a kitchen towel, it should sound hollow when knocked at the bottom.
I am sure you and your family will also love this Basil Pesto bread. Do give me your feedback and when you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my FoodTrails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.