An ultimate guide on Instant Pot Chickpeas or on How to cook dried Chickpeas in Instant Pot or Stove Top Pressure Cooker(Indian Style), with soak and no-soak method.
Cooking chickpeas at home is no longer a tedious and long task. Instant Pot Chickpeas recipe is a time saver, money saver recipe and much health friendly recipe then the store bought canned chickpeas.
Chickpeas or Garbanzo beans are one of the most popular legumes all over the world. These are widely used in many cuisines especially in Indian and Mediterranean cuisine. Garbanzo beans are budget friendly and loaded with health friendly ingredients. These are one of the richest sources of protein for vegetarians and vegans.
- Why should I Cook Chickpeas at home
- Why it is important to pre-soak Chickpeas
- Cooking Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
- Cooking Chickpeas in Stove top Pressure Cooker
- What if I forget to pre-soak Chickpeas or Quick Soak method
- Do I need to add Baking Soda while cooking Chickpeas
- Is it necessary to peel the boiled chickpeas
- How to use the liquid of boiled chickpeas
- Storing and Shelf life
- Recipe card for Instant Pot Chickpeas
Why should I Cook Chickpeas at home
Till few years back, in India we never got the canned chickpeas. People always pressure cooked( on Indian Style pressure Cooker) chickpeas before using them in the recipes. Now we do get the canned chickpeas here too but those are very costly.
If you always grab a can or a couple of cans from the store and you think that cooking/boiling chickpeas at home is a task?? Then here is this perfect post where I show you How you can cook Dried Chickpeas at home in Pressure Cooker!!
Cooking Chickpeas in Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- Saves time as compared to cooking in Open Pot
- Budget Friendly than the canned chickpeas,
- Free from preservatives and contains less salt/sodium. Canned Chickpeas are high on sodium and other preservatives.
Why it is important to pre-soak Chickpeas
Chickpeas need to be softened before we boil. Pre-soaking helps in reducing the cooking time. It also makes Chickpeas more gut friendly. Directly cooking chickpeas without presoaking leads to digestive and gastric issues. So it is always better to pre-soak overnight or quick soak at least for an hour. Always remember to discard the water in which the chickpeas are soaked.
I always prefer to soak chickpeas overnight as this is how I learnt from my mom and in the family.
1 cup of dried chickpeas is equivalent to 3 cups of cooked chickpeas.
Cooking Chickpeas in Instant Pot
And now with the introduction of Instant Pot even in Indian Kitchens it so much time saving and fuss free cooking.
Cooking Chickpeas in Stove top Pressure cooker do save time but one has to watch the whistles and then check if the water in spilling out of the lid.
With IP you can just set the time and then do other chores or work or even go out . You don't have to stand and watch over the cooking.
Cooking pre-soaked chickpeas takes about 20-25 mins, whereas it will take 40-50 mins to cook the dried chickpeas in IP.
Check the recipe card for detailed steps and timings.
Advantages of Cooking in Instant Pot
Instant Pot is a wonderful kitchen gadget which is of great use when it comes to fuss-free one pot cooking.
I love using my Instant Pot Ultra for making dal, soups, pasta, rice/pilaf, proofing pizza dough and many more ways..
Do you know you can ferment your Dosa/Idli batter in Instant Pot and also use it to make rich and creamy Yogurt.
Usually stove top cooking we need to keep a check on the no. of whistles. While cooking in IP simply set the timer and do your other work.
Then there is no spilling of dal water on counter, which is a common problem with pressure cooker.
We can cook two things together in with Pot in Pot(PIP) method, using stackable container for Instant pot. Will cover the PIP method of how I make Dal and Rice or Dal and subzi for the meal together.
Instant Pot Recipes from the blog that I love to make
and for many more Instant Pot recipes .. CLICK HERE
Cooking Chickpeas in Stove top Pressure Cooker
This is the traditional way of cooking chickpeas in Indian homes.
We soak chole/ chickpeas overnight and then pressure cook it. To pressure cook pre-soaked chickpeas, drain water in which the chickpeas were soaked. Then transfer the chickpeas to cooker, add water (3 times the amount of chickpeas used). Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles on high heat and then about 15 mins. on low heat.
Let the pressure release naturally then open and check the chickpeas.
Hardness of water can be one of the main factor that chickpeas remain al-dente. IF you want softer chickpeas then add about 3/4 cup water and pressure cook again for 10 mins.
What if I forget to pre-soak Chickpeas or Quick Soak method
You can wash and directly cook chickpeas/garbanzo beans without pre-soaking. But as mentioned above it is better if we pre-soak for a couple of hrs.
Wash chickpeas. Heat water till tiny bubbles start to come. Take about 3 cups water for 1 cup of Chickpeas.
Add 1/2 tsp salt to it and add chickpeas in boiling water. Switch off the gas and cover with a fitting lid. Leave it undisturbed for about 30 mins-1 hr.
When ready to make, drain and discard the water in which you soaked beans.
Do I need to add Baking Soda while cooking Chickpeas
You can add baking soda while cooking chickpeas as it fastens the cooking process.Also, it gives a creamy texture to cooked beans, which is great for recipes like Hummus. However I normally skip adding soda.
Add 1/4 tsp while boiling the chickpeas.
Is it necessary to peel the boiled chickpeas
I never peel off the skin. It is totally optional. Many people do peel off the skin especially when making hummus for a more creamy and smoother texture.
If you want to take off the peel, once the chickpeas cool completely rub off the skin/peel with your hands. Do it in small batches or the chickpeas may become mushy and it will take long time to take out the peels.
How to use the liquid of boiled chickpeas
Do not throw away the water, as it can be used in making curries or in hummus. While freezing the chickpeas you can keep some liquid.
Many people also use it in eggless baking. I still have to try using Aquafaba(remaining liquid after boiling chickpeas) for eggless cakes, brownies and macaroons.
Storing and Shelf life
Refrigeration-Completely cool the chickpeas and refrigerate in an airtight container. Stays good for a week.
Freezing-For longer storage you can freeze the chickpeas with some liquid in freezer friendly containers or ziplock bags. Stays good for 2-3 months. Freeze in small portions that you know will be needing or required after thawing.
Recipes from the blog with chickpeas
Boiled chickpeas can be used in salads,making falafel,hummus, vegan patties, curries and you can also use it as sandwich filling.
Chole/Chana Masala(Stove-top Pressure Cooker Recipe)
Pindi Chole(traditional rustic no onion garlic chickpea curry from the Indian cuisine)
Chickpea Sundal(South Indian style chickpeas with coconut)
Recipe card for Instant Pot Chickpeas
Instant Pot Chickpeas|How to cook Chickpeas in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- Stove Top Pressure Cooker
- Bowl to soak chickpeas
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 1.5 Cups Dried Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans /Kabuli Chane
- 4-5 Cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
- Sort the chickpeas and clean it from any dirt. Wash the chickpeas 2-3 times nicely in water.
- In a big bowl/mixing bowl transfer the washed chickpeas.
- Add about 3 cups water and leave it overnight or 6-7 hrs.
Quick Soaking Chickpeas before cooking
- If you forget to soak chickpeas overnight then soak the washed chickpeas in warm water.
- Heat water till tiny bubbles start to come. Take about 3 cups water for 1 cup of Chickpeas.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt to it and add chickpeas in boiling water. Switch off the gas and cover.
Cook Chickpeas in Instant Pot with pre-soaking
- When ready to cook, drain the water in which the chickpeas were soaked.
- Transfer the chickpeas to Instant Pot.
- Add about 4-5 cups water. Add salt.
- Close the lid and set the Pressure Cook Mode at high for 25 mins.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally. Then open the lid and check the chickpeas.
Cook Chickpeas in stove-top Pressure Cooker with pre-soaking
- Transfer the pre-soaked drained chickpeas to pressure cooker.
- Add about 3 cups water and salt.
- Close the lid and let it cook on high flame for 2-3 whistles and then on low for 12-15 mins.
- Once done, switch off the gas, let the pressure release naturally and check the chickpeas.
Cook Chickpeas without soaking in Instant Pot
- Cook chickpeas for about 40 mins. at Pressure Cook or Bean Mode (high)
Hope you will find this post useful and help you in cutting down your time to cook chickpeas and also help out in easy meal planning.
Do not forget to give your feedback if you find this post useful. And, if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!