Chickpeas And Sweet Potato Cutlets Recipe | Learn How To Make Vegan And Gluten-Free Chickpeas And Sweet Potato Cutlets In Air Fryer
Air Fryer, Low in oil, Protein rich, Gluten-free, Vegan Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Cutlets with Swiss Chards.
Delicious Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Cutlet with the goodness of leafy greens are a wonderful addition to your Vegan/Vegetarian recipe list.
Serve these for your meals, use as filling for burgers and sandwiches or serve as appetizers/starters when having get together with friends and family.
Protein rich and loaded with all the health friendly ingredients these are not only ideal for kids' lunchboxes or their anytime hunger pangs but also as evening snack with your evening tea. Serve with your favorite dip or even tomato ketchup!!
- Air Fryer Healthy Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties with Swiss Chard
- Ingredients to make Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties
- Steps to make Air Fryer Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties
- Storage and Shelf Life
- Serving Suggestions
- Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Cutlets (Vegan and Gluten-free)
Air Fryer Healthy Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties with Swiss Chard
Call these cutlets or patties or tikkis
Air Frying the Cutlets not only make it less oily but also a fuss free recipe where one doesn't have to watch over frying a big batch of cutlets.
Advantages of having Air Fryer at Home
Investing in an Air Fryer is one of the best decisions that we can make for our kitchen. This kitchen gadget is so handy and there are so many options available nowadays. It can be used for baking, as a substitute to frying (one of the best) and roasting the veggies, snacks.
- Air frying cuts down the amount of oil used for deep frying snacks.
- Deep frying certain food items may produce some cancer causing compounds. Air frying reduces the risk of formation of such compounds.
- No standing over the cooking dish and continuous monitoring.
- Use it to crisp the frozen food instead of deep frying which is more fuss, quick and more health friendly.
Air fryers are handy kitchen gadgets and do not occupy much counter space.
Use your Air Fryer in everyday cooking and you can even bake cakes and muffins as per the capacity of your Air Fryer.
Checkout the various Air Fryer Recipes form the blog here--> AIR FRYER RECIPES Vegetarian and Vegan
Ingredients to make Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties
Chickpeas- Also known as Garbanzo beans or Kabuli Chana are one of the best sources of protein and a a meat replacement for the vegetarians and vegans. These pair up so well with so many other food and ingredients. These are also loaded with good nutrients and offer numerous health benefits, such as weight management, blood sugar regulation and benefits digestion. And Chickpeas are budget friendly also.
I have used preboiled chickpeas. I made Chole Masala for the weekend and saved a cup to make these cutlets. You can use canned chickpeas or soak chickpeas overnight or 5-6 hrs, boil and use as required.
Sweet Potatoes- Another versatile ingredient which not only tastes good but is also is very good for health. In the recipe here these not only add to the nutrient value but also add texture and binds the cutlets.
Instead of Sweet potatoes you can add potatoes or Raw Banana.
For the recipe I roasted sweet potatoes in Air Fryer. You can also pressure cook Sweet Potatoes.
Swiss Chards- not only make it fibre rich but also add so much taste to these mini cutlet bites. I has a bunch of Swiss chard greens in my refrigerator after I made the SWISS CHARD AND POTATO SUZI, so thought of why not use it in the recipe. You can use any other leafy greens like spinach, methi/fenugreek, baby kale or even fresh cilantro.
Chickpea Flour- For binding the cutlets and gives additional texture to the patties. You can skip it too incase it is not available to you.
Herbs- Fresh Ginger, Garlic, Green Chillies add to the flavour. Add green chillies as per the heat tolerance. When making for kids you can skip chillies from the recipe.
Spices- Cumin Seeds, Coriander Powder, Smoked Paprika/Red Chilli Powder(add as required), Salt and oil.
When making air fryer cutlets I add 1-2 tbsp oil in the dough/mixture which makes the air fried cutlets soft and moist. You can skip if you are on oil free diet.
Steps to make Air Fryer Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Patties
- Air Fry or Boil Sweet Potatoes. Once done peel and mash finely.
- Wash nicely Swiss Chard and keep in the colander to drain extra water. You can use paper tissues to absorb the extra water.
- In food processor, add chard greens and pulse it 2-3 times to finely chop it. I had already chopped Swiss chard.
- Dry roast chickpea flour in a pan on low heat.
- Now add chickpeas, ginger, garlic and green chillies, mashed sweet potato along with chopped greens and again pulse till you get coarse mixture.
- Transfer the coarse mixture in a plate or mixing bowl.
- Add oil and mix nicely.
- Form small bite sized cutlets . You can form patties for burgers or sandwiches too.
- Refrigerate for about 20-30 mins.
- Preheat Air fryer at 180C or 350 C.
- Air Fry for 15 mins. Lightly brush with oil from both the sides.
- Once done serve hot with chutney or dip of your choice.
Instead of using the food processor, you can mash the chickpeas and sweet potato mixture manually using a potato masher. Coarsely crush ginger garlic and green chillies and add along with other spices and oil. Mix everything and make the mixture.
The mixture need not to be very smooth.
Storage and Shelf Life
Freshly made cutlets taste best, but you can always make it a day ahead for your parties. Stays good for 2-3 days when refrigerated.
Freeze in Zip lock bags or freezer friendly container. Stays good for over a month.
Serve with dip or chutney of your choice. You can use it as sandwich or burger patty or even make rolls in tortilla or chapatis with salads greens like lettuce.
Checkout more Cutlet or Patties Recipes from the blog
Rajma and Spinach Cutlets, Chana Dal and Yam Kebabs, Aloo Poha cutlets, Hara Bhara Kebab, Raw Banana Cutlets, Raw Papaya Kebabs, Aloo Makhana aur Kaju cutlets, Cheesy Semolina Bites, Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms, Tandoori Gobhi/Cauliflower Tikka and many more.
Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Cutlets (Vegan and Gluten-free)
- Air Fryer
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons
- 1½ Cup Boiled Chickpeas 1, 15 ounce can drained
- 2 Sweet Potatoes Roasted/Boiled
- 1 Cup Swiss Chard(chopped) or any leafy greens
- 2 tbsp Chickpea flour
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- ½" Fresh Ginger Piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Salt as required
Preparations for the Cutlets
- Wash nicely Swiss Chard and leave it on colander for few minutes till the water drains completely. Use a paper napkin/tissue to absorb extra water.
- When using canned chickpeas, drain the liquid and rinse the chickpeas once in water.
- Take roasted or boiled sweet potatoes. I roasted sweet potatoes in Air Fryer before starting the preparations. It took around 15 mins.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and mash the flesh.
- Take ginger, garlic and green chillies. You can coarsely crush it.
- Lightly roast chickpea flour in a non stick pan.
Making the Cutlet Mixture
- In a food processor, add chard greens and pulse it 2-3 times to finely chop it.
- Add chickpeas, mashed sweet potatoes, green chillies, ginger, garlic and spices.
- Pulse again to make a coarse mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a dish or plate/mixing bowl.
- Add oil and 2 tbsp of chickpea flour(besan). Add a bit more if the mixture is a bit wet.
- Mix nicely and form a cookie kind of dough.
- Now lightly oil/wet your palms and make small bite sixed cutlets. You can make bigger patties for burgers or sandwiches also.
- Refrigerate for about 20-30 mins.
- Preheat the air fryer at 180°C or 350°F.
- Arrange cutlets in the Air Fryer basket and air fry for 15 mins.
- You can turn half way or when the indicator shows TURN FOOD.
- Once done, take out of air fryer and serve hot.
Storage and Reheating
- Refrigerate for 2-3 days in an air tight container.
- For longer storage, freeze in freezer friendly container or zip lock bag. Stays good for a month.
- Re-heat Air fryer for 10 mins.
To bake in Oven
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C or 350°F.
- Line the cutlets on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-30 mins, from both sides turning half way of the total set timing.
- Reheat cutlets at the preheating mode.
Do try these delicious Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Cutlets. These are Low in Oil, Gluten-free and perfect for Vegans/Vegetarians. Make for your Diwali/Holi/Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner or parties, these will be a a hit among all the age groups. If you have recently given up mead/non veg. then these are perfect for your on. veg food cravings.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!