Protein rich, Creamy Roasted Pepper Hummus made with roasted bell peppers, tahini, garlic and spices. Learn how to make healthy, delicious Hummus with Roasted Bell Pepper.
Vegan, Gluten-free and healthy Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus is used as a dip/sauce/or spread. It is high in protein, minerals and vitamins.
- About the Recipe
- What is Hummus
- Ingredients to make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- How to make Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus
- Homemade Tahini
- Hummus Variations
- Serving Suggestions
- Frequently asked Questions
- More Dips /Sauces / Spreads from the blog
- Recipe Card For Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
About the Recipe
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is a variation of Hummus with roasted bell pepper, which lends it a smoky, a bit sweet taste.
Now, forget your regular store bought hummus, make your own hummus within minutes for any time snacking. And the best part is that no need to buy a separate jar of Tahini. We make this Hummus with homemade Tahini, that you can make fresh as per your requirement.
Here I am giving you the Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus recipe. I also make Carrot Hummus, Beetroot Hummus or simple Hummus just by adding Cilantro or Parsley.
What is Hummus
Hummus, a Middle Eastern dip/appetizer that is just irresistible. Used as a dip with chips, crackers, pita or as an accomplishment to many Middle Eastern dishes. In recent years it's popularity has increased worldwide. You can see Hummus jars or boxes in aisle of stores in most of the parts of the world.
For those who are not familiar with Hummus, it is a condiment made with boiled chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, and tahini. It is used as a dip, sauce or spread.
Tahini, is a middle eastern sauce made with roasted sesame seeds and olive oil, that is used in many dishes in Middle Eastern Cuisine. You can make it at home or use store bought.
Ingredients to make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Making Hummus is very easy at home. You need few basic ingredients, throw everything in chopper/food processor and a creamy healthy dip is ready in minutes.
Boiled Chickpeas- These are the major ingredients of Hummus. Chickpeas are rich source of protein and fibre and also budget friendly. You can boil chickpeas at home or use canned.
How to cook Dried Chickpeas at Home(Instant Pot)
Roasted Bell Pepper- Adds smoky flavour to hummus and light red hue. It is optional. You can roast bell pepper in air fryer/oven or on stove top. check the section below.
Tahini- Use store bought or make it at home. To make at home pls see the recipe card.
Garlic- You can roast garlic along with bell pepper or use it raw.
Others- EVOO, Lemon Juice, Cayenne Pepper and Salt.
How to make Roasted Bell Pepper Hummus
Gather the ingredients.
Roast peppers, take off the charred skin. Chop into pieces.
- When using canned chickpeas, take out from can, rinse in water before using in the recipe.
- Blend tahini and lemon juice till it is creamy.Then add olive oil and garlic. And blend again for few seconds.
- Add half of chickpeas and roasted red pepper. Blend to smooth creamy mixture.
- Now add rest of the chickpeas and blend till smooth and creamy.
How to Roast Red Bell Pepper
To roast Red Bell Pepper, cut it into slices and grill till the skin is charred. Cool it, scrape the skin and keep aside the flesh. I used 1/2 of the red bell pepper, you can use full one.
To Red Bell Pepper in Air Fryer, preheat the air fryer. Cut red bell pepper in vertical slices. Line in air fryer basket and air for 10-12 mins at 180C.
To Roast Bell Pepper in Oven, preheat oven, line the slices of bell pepper on baking tray.
Ingredient details in recipe card.
To make Tahini, dry roast sesame seeds in a pan. When you get the aroma of roasted seeds immediately take off seeds from the pan and let it cool in a separate bowl.
Grind it first till it is crumbly mixture. then add oil and grind again till all the sesame seeds are grinded and it makes sauce like mixture.
Other than roasted bell peppers we can add carrots, beetroot, spinach or fruits like mango, strawberries or even chocolate for a fun variations. These vegetables and fruits not only add different colors but also add so much of flavour variation to simple hummus!!
Related--Sweet and Spicy Carrot Hummus
Try this Hummus you will never go back to your favourite store bought brand.
Make ahead Hummus before your parties and serve with different kinds of chips and crackers or even kebabs. We enjoy hummus just the way it is with chips and crackers. Spread it on Paratha(Indian Flatbread) for a quick and healthy after-school snack or lunch/dinner option for kids.
Make smashed chickpeas sandwich or pita falafel wraps for a filling meal.
Frequently asked Questions
Homemade hummus stays good for a week when refrigerated properly in an airtight container or jar.
Yes you can freeze Hummus in small containers/potions and use it as and when required. But, I will advise to finish it within a week and not freeze for long. As, freezing affects the taste and texture of hummus.
Yes Hummus is a very healthy condiment. It is protein rich with chickpeas. has limited amount of oil(olive oil or EVOO). You can can give it to your kids a dip or spread on sandwiches and wraps.
More Dips /Sauces / Spreads from the blog
Cheesy Herb Dip, Honey Labneh Dip, Guacamole, Roasted Bell Pepper and Garlic Chutney, Spinach and Mint dip, Thai Peanut Sauce, Tzatziki Recipe, Strawberry Jam, Mango Chilli Jam, Cilantro and Mint Chutney
Some healthy and delicious recipe with chickpeas from the blog
Instant Pot Chole Masala, Chole/Chana Masala(Stove-top Pressure Cooker Recipe), Dhaniya Chole(Chickpeas cooked in Cilantro based gravy), Pindi Chole(traditional rustic no onion garlic chickpea curry from the Indian cuisine), Hummus, Sweet and Spicy, Carrot Hummus, Falafels, Chickpea and Sweet Potato patties, Vegan Chickpea Salad,, Baked Chickpeas, Chickpea Sundal(South Indian style chickpeas with coconut)
Recipe Card For Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Air Fryer to roast Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Cup Cooked Chickpeas 15 Oz /250gm
- 2 tbsp Tahini (can be store bought or homemade)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice or from 1 lemon
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper(small) as required
- Salt to taste
- Cayenne Pepper as required
- ½ Cup Sesame Seeds
- 2-4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In a food processor, add tahini and lemon juice. Pulse till it is creamy.2 tbsp Tahini (can be store bought or homemade), 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Add oil and garlic cloves. Pulse it for few more seconds.2-3 Cloves Garlic, 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- Add half of chickpeas and roasted bell pepper. Pulse it for a min.1 Cup Cooked Chickpeas, 1 Red Bell Pepper(small), Salt to taste
- Add rest of the chickpeas and salt and blend till the mixture is creamy.
- Take out in a plate/dish and spread it. Add some more EVOO and sprinkle cayenne pepper as preferred.Cayenne Pepper
For Roasted Bell Pepper
- Cut it into slices and grill till the skin is charred. Cool it, scrape the skin and keep aside the flesh. I used 1/2 of the red bell pepper, you can use full one.1 Red Bell Pepper(small)
- Dry roast sesame seeds in a pan over medium heat for one-two minutes until you can smell the aroma roasted sesame seeds. Don't let the seeds turn brown.½ Cup Sesame Seeds
- Cool the seeds and grind with Extra Virgin Olive oil, until smooth and creamy.2-4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil, ¼ tsp Salt
- Transfer to a glass bottle or an air-tight container.
- Store in refrigerator. Stays good for about a month.
Do try this creamy homemade Hummus with roasted red pepper, for snacking with your favourite crackers or chips. I am sure you will love as much as we love to have it.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
I love this delicious looking hummus, especially as it has grilled red peppers added to it. The sweet, tangy taste of red peppers looked blended so well with the smooth texture of classic chickpeas. Would love this as a sandwich spread.
Thanks Minaji!! yes perfect as sandwhich spread.. I too love it that way.
I am yet to try making roasted pepper hummus but wow the taste will be so very delicious. Absolutely love this yum hummus when I next buy my veggies will get some bell pepper.
Thanks Archana! Do try it
Loved the colour of the hummus Swaty. Roasted bell pepper hummus sounds superbly delicious and flavorful. I have used roasted capsicum and roasted on open fire not oven. Not I will try your recipe with red bell pepper.
Wow.. with green capsicum!! sounds delicious.. I will check your version and try it out.
Hummus is such a versatile dip. Can be made with so many variations and served with many things. I also love to add lots of chilli flakes in it.
Love the colour of the hummus. I've yet to try making roasted pepper hummus at home. However, have enjoyed the ready made one with pita chips. Will try it out at home using your recipe.
Thank you Mayuriji.. do try it. You will love it