Homemade Easy Strawberry Jam Recipe in Instant Pot and Open Pan)| Detailed Instructions +Video on How to make Strawberry Chia seeds Jam (Instant Pot + Stove top)
Easy Strawberry Chia Seed Jam recipe with dates and chia seeds in Instant Pot. The best ever homemade jam recipe and post that you will need when you have pints of strawberry lying in your refrigerator. No pectin, no artificial flavour, no cornstarch and no added color and no preservatives!
This recipe for homemade Instant Pot Strawberry jam has dates with some raw sugar which means more added health and nutritional benefits. Use it on toasts, fruit sandwiches, in desserts like cheesecakes, creams and smoothies or parfaits.
So what are you waiting for, make small or big batch and store it to enjoy for a couple of months or even a year if stored properly.
- About the Recipe
- Ingredients to make Strawberry Chia Jam
- How to make Instant Pot Strawberry Chia Jam with Dates
- How to make Strawberry Jam in a Pan/Stove-top
- Video link to cook Jam in pan(Stove-top)recipe
- How can I use Strawberry Jam
- Can I skip Sugar from the recipe
- Can I use Castor Sugar/ Jaggery powder or another sweetener in the recipe
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Looking for more Strawberry Recipes
- More Jams and Chutneys from the blog
- Recipe Card for Instant Pot Strawberry Chia Seeds Jam
About the Recipe
I love making homemade pickles, chutneys and jams/fruit preserves with fresh seasonal fruits. I believe that Homemade is so much better than the store bought which is laden with extra sugar/salt and preservatives.
This Strawberry Chia Jam in Instant is quick way to make homemade strawberry preserve within minutes.
In USA and other European countries summer is the time for fresh strawberry produce. In India we have short strawberry season which is from Dec- Feb. This is the time when we make full use and enjoy strawberries in different recipes.
Ingredients to make Strawberry Chia Jam
Strawberries- Fresh seasonal strawberries are best to make the preserve/jam. You can also use frozen strawberries when fresh produce is not available or you want to finish the extra batch of berries lying from in your freezer.
Dates- act not only as sweetener but also add on the nutritional benefits. Since we are not adding lot of dates, it will not overpower the taste of berries.
Sugar- Although dates are added in the recipe as natural sweetener we require some amount of sugar in making jam. Sugar not only acts as sweetener but also helps in the formation pectin and acts as preservative. I have used granulated raw can sugar here, as granulated sugar is best to use while making jams and jellies.
Fresh Lemon/Orange juice- To balance the taste, for some amount of pectin formation and natural preservative.
Chia Seeds- Thicken the jam which omits out the need to adding any pectin or cornstarch. Also add to the nutritional benefits.
How to make Instant Pot Strawberry Chia Jam with Dates
How make Strawberry Jam in Instant Pot Video in Recipe Card
Instant Pot makes jam making an easy and quick process. Chop dates.
Before using in the recipe wash the strawberries nicely. Hull and cut strawberries.
- Add cut strawberries, dates, juice(lemon/orange) and sugar in the inner pot.
- Mix and leave it covered for at least 30mins. This helps in releasing the water/juices which evaporates on cooking, this helps in the formation of pectin. Also, add orange juice/lemon juice.
- After 30 mins. Switch on the Instant Pot, cover the lid and set the Pressure Cook Mode on for 1 mins.
- After 1 min. wait for 10 mins and then do the QRP.
- Then set the SAUTE MOE ON and cook strawberries for 5 mins. There will be lot of liquid which will evaporate while we cook the jam.
- Keep on stirring the jam, it will get thickened as it cooks.
- Switch off the instant pot after 5 mins. Do Jam plate test/spoon text to see if the jam is cooked. (Check the FAQ's section below)
- When the jam is finally ready, add chia seeds, mix well and leave the jam to cool. Chia seeds will thicken the jam. Also, if you are skipping chia seeds from the recipe, jam eventually thickens on cooling.
Let it cool completely and then store in clean/sterilized jar/small bottles. Refrigerate and use as required.
How to make Strawberry Jam in a Pan/Stove-top
- Marinate the strawberries and dates in sugar for at least 30 mins.
- Then switch on the gas, start cooking strawberries. When the liquid starts boiling lower the flame and cover the pan. cook for about 5 mins. When liquid starts to evaporates, start stirring the jam and cook till it is done. It will take about 15-20 mins.
- Do Jam plate test/spoon text to see if the jam is cooked. (Check the FAQ's section below).
- Add Chia seeds, cool it completely and store it properly.
Video link to cook Jam in pan(Stove-top)recipe
How can I use Strawberry Jam
Simply have it on toast/bagels/English muffins. Add jam to parfaits, make strawberry cheesecake, or use it to make Strawberry Shake with milk(dairy or plant milk).
Storage and Shelf Life
This jam stays good for about a month in refrigerator and upto a year in freezer when stored properly(if you store it through canning).
Freeze jam in small batches, so that you don't have to thaw a big batch. Thaw the jam in refrigerator before using. Do not freeze the thawed jam.
Can I skip Sugar from the recipe
I suggest not to skip sugar from the recipe as we are not using any pectin or cornstarch. Sugar draws out water from strawberries and helps in the formation of pectin. It is also a preservative. Add 1-2 spoons sugar and then add any other sweetener of your choice.
Can I use Castor Sugar/ Jaggery powder or another sweetener in the recipe
Granulated sugar is the best to use in making jams and jellies. But yes, you can use any kind of sugar in the recipe. Organic sugars like jaggery powder/coconut palm sugar will give a darker shade to jam and also their flavour will over power the berry flavour. Avoid artificial sweeteners as sugar is required for gel/pectin formation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can skip dates and substitute it with 1/4 cup sugar.
Check it with a spoon for do the Jam Plate test. For that keep 1-2 spoons or a plate/saucer in freezer for a couple of minutes. When the jam starts getting thick and the water/juices evaporate, put some jam on the plate and keep it back in the freezer. After 3 mins. take out the plate and run your finger across the jam. It will wrinkle and not leave any mark on the plate. Jam is ready.
Or, you can simply dip a chilled spoon in hot jam, it will hold onto the spoon. Jam will drip or will be runny if it is still not cooked.
Jam gets hard on cooling if it is overcooked. You can add some warm water/juice(strawberry/orange) to thin it.
You can use frozen strawberries to make jam.
Add frozen strawberries directly to inner pot, add sugar and leave for about 1-2 hrs till it starts to give out juice. You can break/mash strawberries with a masher. Then cook strawberries as mentioned in the above steps.
Looking for more Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry Cream, Strawberry Crush/Concentrate, Eggless Strawberry Cake, Strawberry Feta Salad, Pasta Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette, Strawberry Milkshake, Mango Strawberry Salsa
More Jams and Chutneys from the blog
Raspberry Jam, Orange Marmalade with Jaggery Powder Tomato Dates Chutney, Cape of Gooseberries Relish/Rasbhari Chutney , Raw Mango and Cranberries Chutney in Vinegar
Recipe Card for Instant Pot Strawberry Chia Seeds Jam
Strawberry Chia Jam
- Instant Pot
- Pan for preparing in pan
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 4 cups Strawberries(quartered)
- ¼ cup Chopped dates seedless
- 2-3 tbsp Raw Cane Sugar or any granulated castor sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice/Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- Nicely wash strawberries.4 cups Strawberries(quartered)
- Cut the green part/hull strawberries and then cut in quarters or roughly chop it.
Instant Pot Method to make Strawberry Jam
- Add chopped strawberries in the inner pot.
- Add chopped dates juice, and sugar, mix well.¼ cup Chopped dates, 2-3 tbsp Raw Cane Sugar, 2 tbsp Lemon Juice/Orange Juice
- Cover and leave it for about 30 mins.
- After 30 mins. switch on the Instant Pot and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode for 1 min.
- After 1 min. cancel the cook time and leave let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid, switch on the Instant Pot, se the SAUTE Mode on for 5-10 mins.
- Cook the jam for till it starts getting thick. You can mash the strawberry pieces using a masher while cooking jam or keep on pressing with the ladle.
- Do the Jam plate test or spoon test. Check notes.
- Once the jam is ready, switch off the Instant Pot.
- Add Chia seeds (before the jam cools completely).2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- Leave it covered it jam cools completely.
- Transfer jam in a clean dry jar.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
Stove-Top Pan Method to make Strawberry Chia Jam
- In a heavy bottom pan, add chopped strawberries.4 cups Strawberries(quartered)
- Add chopped dates, sugar and juice. Mix well and keep it for about 30 mins.¼ cup Chopped dates, 2-3 tbsp Raw Cane Sugar, 2 tbsp Lemon Juice/Orange Juice
- After 30 mins. switch on the stove/gas, start cooking the jam on low heat.
- Cook on low heat till all the sugar dissolves. Now turn up the heat/flame, cook strawberries.
- The liquid/juices will start to bubble up, keep the flame now to medium and keep in stirring the berries, cook till it starts to thicken.
- You can mash the strawberry pieces using a masher while cooking jam or keep on pressing with the ladle.
- Do the Jam plate test or spoon test.
- When the jam is ready, add chia seeds and mix well.2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- When the jam completely cools, transfer to a clean and dry jar.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
So, whenever you have lots of strawberries, do make this Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds and Dates and use it on toasts/your favorite bread. desserts, breakfast bowls, puddings, cheesecakes
Please do share your feedback if you find this post useful. And, if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
Leave a Reply