Dhania Chole Masala recipe | Spicy Chole Masala with fresh Coriander and Mint leaves
Checkout the detailed Video Recipe for Dhania Chole Masala HERE
Dhania Chole Masala a flavorful change from our regular Chole/Chana Masala. Also, known as Hara Dhania Chole Masala is made in Northern States of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
Fresh Coriander and Mint gives an aromatic touch to the dish. It is Gluten-free, Vegan and can be made in very little oil.
I came across this recipe in one of Nita Mehta's book on Rajasthani Cuisine and adapted the recipe as is it . The only change I made on her original recipe is addition of fresh Mint leaves. There is no onion tomato masala and garlic used in recipe. I add onions in curry but you can skip it for No onion-No Garlic Version.
We all love Chickpeas and in Indian homes it is a very common pantry ingredient. Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber for vegetarians and vegans. Dried chickpeas can be stored for long time and do not go stale as these are dried beans or dormant seeds. Any special or festive occasion, guests coming over or quick and delicious weekend brunch, you will find Chole or Kabuli Chana in the menu.
There are two main variety of chickpea commonly available in India. Creamy White one the Garbanzo beans also known as Kabuli Chane or Chole. The other one is Black or Brown colored, slightly small in size known as Black Chickpeas or Kala Chana. Both are rich source of protein, fibers and minerals.
We all are aware of the numerous health benefits of Chickpeas like these benefit digestion, aid in weight loss, keep blood sugar in control and keeps the tummy full for long thus reducing the hunger pangs.
Not only in India Cuisine, these are also widely used in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and Egyptian Cuisine since ancient times.
#252ChanaTime is the theme for this week's Foodie Monday Blog hop group. The theme was suggested by Mayuri Patel ji . She suggested that we make dishes with either of the chickpea. Meanwhile do checkout her space Mayuri's Jikoni. A versatile blog with treasure of recipes traditional Gujarati dishes to fusion of various Indian and International Cuisines. Her recent Semolina bread is a must check on if you are thinking of baking bread with semolina at home..
Kabuli Chane or Chickpeas(Garbanzo beans) are very versatile ingredient and are used in preparation of a variety of dishes.Curries, Snacks and Starters, used in soups and salads, snacks, rice preparations and many more. These are also budget friendly and easily available in stores.
Checkout 3 different curries with Garbanzo beans from the blog..
Chole Masala/Chana Masala( our very own favourite and one of the most popular curries from Northern India)
Dilliwale Chole Bhature (a must try recipe take will take you to Delhi's street food culture),
Pindi Chole(no onion garlic) rustic Chole Curry where chickpeas are cooked in spices without any onion garlic and tomato masala.
Other chickpea recipes from the blog-- (Falafel, cutlets or kebabs)
In Northern India we make Mango pickle with Chane in it .. Aam aur Kabuli Chane ka Achaar
Coming back back to Dhania Chole Masala let's see what we need and how I make it.. .
Ingredients for Dhania Chole Masala
Main ingredient is boiled Chole/Kabuli Chana or Garbanzo beans. Soak for about 5-6 hrs. and boil chickpeas before preparing to make the curry. You can also use canned Garbanzo Beans(Chickpeas).
Use Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves, Mint leaves. Incase fresh coriander leaves are not available, you can use Green Chutney in recipe. But fresh leaves lend a very flavorful taste to the curry.
Ginger, Green Chillies and Tamarind paste are also added in the curry. I like adding Tamarind as it lends a hint of sweet taste to the curry that is very pleasant to palate. You can avoid it but then add lemon juice instead of tamarind paste.
Freshly Ground Masala with different whole spices is another flavour enhancer here. You can also use store bought Chana Masala, but I recommend using fresh;y ground spice mix. Please check the recipe card for Masala mix ingredients.
How to make Dhania Chole Masala
It is a very quick recipe if we have pre-boiled chickpeas. The whole recipe comes together in under 30 mins.
To boil chickpeas, soak about 1 cup or 3/4 cup of dried chickpeas.Soaked chickpeas when boiled will be about 11/2 or 2 cups boiled chickpeas, as these soak water and increase in size and weight.
Recipe Card and Detailed Video for Dhania Chole Masala
Dhania Chole Masala
- Pressure Cooker to boil chickpeas
- Kadhai or Heavy Bottomed Pan
- Measuring Spoons
- 1½ Cup Boiled Chickpeas 250 gm or 1 can (15.5 OZ)
- Salt to taste
For Chutney Mix
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro/ Coriander Leaves
- ¼ Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2-3 Green Chillies or use as required
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 1-2 tbsp Tamarind Paste/Chutney
For Spice Mix
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1" Cinnamon Stick(small piece)
- 4-5 Cloves
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1-2 Small Cardamom
- 1 tsp Anardana
- 1 tsp Dry Mango Powder/Amchur
- ½ Cup Finely chopped Onions skip for no onion garlic version
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- Red Chilli Powder as required
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- Asafeotida/Hing(optional) a pinch
- 2 tsp Mustard Oil or any Plant based oil
Boil Chickpeas(If not using canned Chickpeas)-Indian Pressure Cooker
- Wash dried chickpeas 2-3 times in tap water.
- Soak in enough water for about 6-7 hrs or overnight.
- When ready to boil, drain water form soaked chickpeas.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker and cook for about 3-4 whistles on medium flame.
- Once done switch off the flame and let the pressure release naturally.Check whether chickpeas are done or not.
Boil Chickpeas(If not using canned Chickpeas)-Instant Pot
- Add soaked chickpeas and salt to inner pot. Switch on Instant Pot.
- Set the timer to PRESSURE COOK for 20 mins.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally. Check whether chickpeas are done or not.
- Boiled chickpeas should be soft enough when pressed between thumb and index finger.
Make Spice Mix
- Dry roast whole dry spices on medium flame(optional). It enhances the aroma of spices.
- When spices cool down, add all the spices listed under spice mix section and grind to a fine powder. You can use Coffee grinder.
- Take out in a bowl and keep aside.
Make Chutney for Masala
- Wash nicely coriander and mint leaves.
- In a blender/grinder add washed leaves, half ginger piece, green chilies and tamarind paste/water.
- Add about ¼ Cup water and grind to a smooth paste/ mix. Keep aside.
Final Preparation and Cooking
- Heat oil in a kadhai or pan.
- Add cumin seeds and hing/asafeotida if using.
- Add onions and saute till light pink. Skip for no onion garlic version.
- Add coriander powder and roast for a few seconds.
- Add freshly ground masala mix or chana masala if using, red chilli powder. I skipped red chilli powder as I have added 2-3 green chilies.
- Add boiled chole/chickpeas. If using canned chickpeas drain the liquid before adding.
- Mix and now add freshly made chutney, mix well.
- I like to keep curry of thick consistency on the drier side, you can add more water. But do not make it of very thin consistency.
- Adjust salt.
- Cover and Cook for few mins. till the curry gets on the thicker side and chickpeas absorb the spices and flavors.
- Switch off the gas after 5 mins and keep the curry covered for atleast 10-15 mins before serving.
- Serve hot with poori/kulcha/chapati, You can garnish more coriander leaves.
How to Serve Dhania Chole Masala
Dhania Chole Masala pairs up very well with breads like poori, chapati, ajwain paratha or even naan and kulcha. You can serve it as a side dish with jeera rice or any pulao or turmeric rice.
You can make the curry in dry form and use it in sandwiches and wraps and enjoy with yogurt dip. Make Chole Chaat with it by topping it with chopped onions, tomatoes, sev and papdi and more chutneys. It is a wonderful snack to serve at get together and potlucks.
Whenever you make these, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!