Crispy Masala Peanuts Recipe|Masala Moongphali recipe
Crispy Masala Peanuts recipe coated in Indian spices chickpea flour, frying and baking method included.
Gluten-free, vegan snack recipe for anytime munching, get togethers and festivals. Now make your favourite tea time snack at home, just like the one from your favourite brand!!
Protein rich peanuts make a filling snack for kids and grown ups alike. If one is not allergic to peanuts and these are one of the best snack for anytime hunger.
Loaded with fibre and rich in minerals like potassium, calcium and Vit. Bs. Though these are calories these are nutrient loaded and lower in carbohydrates.
Chai Time and Snacks
Evening tea time in India is one of the favorite time among masses when Chai lovers all over India takes a break from work to enjoy few sips of refreshing hot tea. Be it hot summers, rainy days or chilly winters a cup of tea a chai person will never miss. it. Whenever friends or relatives visit tea is always served to welcome them. So much bonding take space over a cup of tea!!
Chai is always accompanied with snacks that can be light or filling as per one’s preference.Light snacks like Biscuits(Cookies known in India)- like Nan Khatai, Almond Coconut Cookies,Chocolate Garam Masala Cookies. Or, namkeen(dry snacks like aloo bhujiya-potato and chickpea flour noodles) mathari(khasta methi mathri), Chivda, Murmura, Makhana Namkeen ,or heavy and filing snacks like Samosa, Bread Pakora, Dal ke Pakora, Dabeli, Vada Pav.
Crispy Masala Peanuts is one such snack that is quite popular to serve with tea especially when guests come over or at get togethers. It is also served popularly served at cocktail parties. Crispy, spicy and tangy peanuts are liked by kids and grown ups alike.
Have you tried these crunchy baked Chickpeas??
You can use these Masala Peanuts for making Peanut Chaat, where you can mix these crunchy peanuts with finely chopped onion and tomato, cilantro and chutneys or lemon juice and top with finely chopped cilantro.Serve it immediately as peanuts covering can turn soggy due to moisture of chutneys and lemon juice.
Let’s see how I make these Crispy Masala Peanuts
Chickpea flour along with rice flour and cornstarch/cornflour(known in India) are used to make the crunchy coating.
To get crunchy crispy peanuts we need to coat peanuts batter that is thick enough to form a coating on peanut.
Spices like Indian Chaat masala, dry mango powder, red chilli powder are used to give tangy and spicy taste. These spices are available at your nearest Indian grocery stores. In case you don’t have these spices , try and play around with flavors like Italian or lemon and pepper seasoning to flavour the peanuts.
Since for some people peanuts are heavy on stomach and cause flatulence, spices used in the recipe like caraway seeds(ajawian seeds, amchur-dry mango powder) help in easy digestion.
You can also use ginger and garlic paste in batter, I skipped that.
Traditionally, these batter coated peanuts are fried, but we can always bake these masala peanuts in oven. You can choose whatever method you like.
Method with tips to get crunchy and crispy masala peanuts
Make batter with all the flour and spices. The batter should be of thick cake like batter consistency. Test with a spoon, if it coated the spoon you are good to go ahead.
Frying batter coated peanuts
Oil for frying should not be too hot, else, the peanuts will be cooked from out side but will remain raw from inside. Heat oil on medium flame, once we drop peanuts, lower the flame and fry on low heat till light brown in color.
When making a big batch, fry peanuts in small batches.
Baking batter coated peanuts
To bake masala peanuts, coated with batter, preheat oven at 350ºF or 180ºC.
Spread batter coated peanuts on a baking tray, lined with silicone sheet (preferably) .
Set the timer for 20 mins and bake peanuts at 350ºF or 180ºC. After 10 mins, take out the tray and shuffle the peanuts and again bake for another 10 minutes.
Baking time also depends on how quickly your oven is heats, so adjust the time and check accordingly.
Once done, take out the tray and cool masala peanuts.
Coat peanuts in some more chaat masala and red chilli powder(optional) on hot peanuts immediately after taking out of frying/baking, so that it sticks nicely to peanuts.
Store in an air tight container once peanuts cool completely. These stay crispy and crunchy for a longer time.
Crispy Masala Peanuts
- Mixing Bowl
- Kadhai/Thick bottomed Pan for frying peanuts
- Oven for Baking Peanuts
- 2 Cups Peanuts(with skin)
- 1/2 Cup Besan(Chickpea Flour)
- 1/4 Cup Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch/Cornflour(as known in India)
- 1 tsp Ajwain/Caraway Seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Chaat Masala
- 1-2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Amchur optional
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste optional
- Baking Powder(a pinch) optional
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for Frying
- 2-3 tsp Oil (when baking)
- 1 tsp Kali Mirch/Black Pepper Powder
- In a bowl mix all the flours and spices together. Use 1 tbsp of chaat masala, keep the rest 1 tbsp for later use.
- Add water to the flour mix. Add water slowly mixing, take care no lumps are formed.
- About half cup of water is used for making batter. Use as required.
- Add peanuts, mix nicely and coat with batter.
- Heat oil in pan/kadhai on medium flame. Drop 1-2 peanuts, when it sizzles and comes up lower the flame and drop a batch of peanuts.
- Fry on low lame til light brown.
- Take out drain on a paper and sprinkle and mix some chaat masala from remaining 1 tbsp and red chilli powder(if using) .
- Like wise fry rest of the peanuts in batches and sprinkle chaat masala and red chilli powder.
- Once peanuts cool completely, store in an air-tight container
Baking Masala Peanuts
- Add 2-3 tsp of oil while making batter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Spread the batter coated peanuts on baking tray, line with silicone sheet(preferably).
- Set the timer for 20 minutes. Check after 10 minutes, shuffle the peanuts and bake for another 10 minutes.
Do try this easy snack that tastes so delicious and takes so less time in preparation. A crowd pleaser and can be made days ahead and serve at get-togethers. Good for munching time for kids while studying for just like that.
Whenever you make this do give me your feedback.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!