Last Updated on
Aloo Tikki recipe with stuffed with Moong Lentils | How to make Crispy Air Fried Aloo Tikki stuffed with Lentils
Aloo Tikki is very popular street food in Northern Part of India. Aloo is Potatoes and Tikki is cutlets..
Aloo Tikki Chaat is shallow Fired Crispy Potato Cutlets, served with sweet plain yogurt/curd or Chana/Chole masala, sweet and spicy chutneys is a scrumptious delight.
In North India, Aloo Tikkis are also stuffed with peas or lentil mixture. Chana Dal(Split Chickpea Lentil) or Moong Lentils are used for stuffing in tikkis. Spicy Paneer filling can also used for filling. Kids love the paneer filled medium spicy version. But you can always make the no filling version that tastes as much delectable as the stuffed version.
The evening scene almost all the towns and cities in North India is cart vendors/street food shops lining up and selling hot pipping tikkis along with other Chaat items.
In Western India, a very similar version is served but it is less crispy, not stuffed with lentils and served with spicy curry of White Peas known as Ragda Pattice. Check out his recipe by Archana.
Chaats of India
When we talk about Indian Cuisine, a very important part of it Chaats!! Every state/region in India have there own popular local versions of Chaats!!
Chaats are the popular Indian Snacks, served at roadside stalls, shops and also made in homes for evening snacks. As I write about Chaat, I am salivating as even the mention of this word, tempts one to the core!! I have hardly come across someone who doesn’t like to gorge on Chaats.
The literal meaning of Chaat is to lick!! and trust me if you are getting introduced to this word for the first time, people literally lick off the plate clean.. be it any chaat variety!!
If you want to know more about chaats do checkout this article from The Hindu, that throws considerable light on history of Chaats.
What makes a Chaat so inviting and delectable is the medley of different flavors that come from the chutneys-sweet tamarind chutney and spicy green chutney and spices like jeera powder, chaat masala, red chilli powder. Checkout the recipe for Roasted Jeera Powder by Renu and Chaat Masala by Narmadha.
Related Chaats recipes
- Dahi Vade/Bhalla
- Matra Chaat from Dilli
- Aloo Shakarkandi Ki Chaat
- Vrat ki Papdi Chat( with Gluten-free Papdis)
- Matar ki Gughni from U. P and Bihar
- Fusion version– Aloo Chana Taco Chaat, aloo chana served in tacos with chutneys
- Deconstructed Bhalla Papdi Chaat– Dahi Balle Papdi chaat, served in papdi katrois
- Rajasthani Pyaaz ki Kachori from Rajasthan
- Dabeli– Spicy potato and peanut filling in pav with chutneys from Gujarat
Hopefully will soon update more in coming days..
Also, here is a list of few of different and regional Chaat recipes from my fellow blogger friends and you will see how each one is unique.
Paani Poori, Vatana ki Kachori Chaat by by Priya Iyer
Ghugni And Aloo Kabli or Chaat by Sujata Roy
Maharastrian Misal Pav by Poonam
Bengaluru’s famous Tomato Slice Chaat by Kalyani
It’s Chaat Time is the theme this Week for my Facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop. It was my turn to suggest the theme , and thought why not we all make Chaats. Firstly, it appeals to everyone.. and secondly, due to the current situation, people are missing their missing their favourite street foods and looking out for the recipes. so why not make share everyone’s favourite chaat recipes.
Do checkout what my fellow participants have cooked up for the theme.
Aloo Tikki in Air Fryer
Aloo Tikkis are traditionally shallow fried on large skillets in Desi Ghee, cooked till it gets a crispy texture, these are one calorie laden treat for some. .
A plate of Aloo Tikki Chaat is so filling that it makes a mini meal or can replace the dinner for many.
So if you want to avoid the shallow fried oily version for the fear or heavy fat and calorie intake, you can make now, these in your Air fryer, with less oil and still enjoy your favourite street food .
Air Fried Version of Aloo Tikki, is much more healthier than the shallow fried one and when we can have our favourite treats at home in a much healthy way,
Stuffed Aloo Tikki
Stuffed Aloo Tikki, is made with filling of lentils like Chana Dal(common) or Moong Dal. I like to use Moong Dal more and sometimes also make it with paneer filling. Today I am sharing the typical recipe from U.P where I have used spicy Moong Dal mix.
Dal or peas fillings in Aloo Tikkis adds on the protein factor.
To stuff tikkis with moong dal, we have to soak lentils for about 2-3 hrs, then cook with spices. Checkout recipe card for details.
For Chana Dal filling you can checkout my Chana Dal Parathas. Use the same filling for tikkis.
. For Peas and Paneer filling you don’t have to grind the peas.
Let’s see how to make Aloo Tikki for Chaats
Must have ingredients for assembling Aloo Tikki Chaat–
Sweet Yogurt or Chole Masala
Mint and Cilantro Chutney(Green Chutney)
Chaat Masala Powder
Red Chilli Powder
Roasted Cumin Powder or Jeera Powder
All the above ingredients are also availabe at Indian Grocery stores.
Tips for making Crispy Aloo Tikki(Shallow Fried and in Air Fryer)
Boil potatoes few hrs before making tikkis and preferably refrigerate for 1-2 hrs. Make sure there should not be any extra moisture in potatoes and filling, as tikkis won’t turn crisp.
Grate boiled potatoes instead of mashing, as to make sure no lumps or potato bits remain. Make smooth potato mix. and form patties or cutlets.
Grind dal coarsely, cool it completely and use as filling.
For the typical Thelewala feel(just like served by your favourite vendor), fry tikkis twice. After first frying, flatten tikkis a bit and then shallow /air fry again. But this is completely optional. Usually, I make tikkis few hrs before serving and then fry second time before serving. These make ideal to serve at potlucks and parties.
Can we Freeze Aloo Tikki
You can freeze tikkis for about 10-15 days. To freeze, fry only once. keep in a in freezer safe container or zip lock, line each Tikki with parchment paper or dust with cornstarch(in US)/cornflour. Thaw and shallow/air fry before serving.
How serve Aloo Tikki
For Aloo Tikki Chaat with Yogurt/Dahi- keep tikkis one serving dish/plate. Top with curd, sprinkle chaat masala, red chilli powder then with chutneys. Optional-add finely chopped onions, fresh cilantro/coriander leaves. crushed papadi(Crispy Masala Papadi) and sev.
These can well be served with yogurt or chole masala, simply with chutneys. Enjoy whichever way you prefer.
For Chole Tikki Chaat–Serve tikkis topped with Chole Masala instead of curd/yogurt. Top with chutneys, spices, onions and coriander leaves.
You can also serve these sandwiches in bread or buns, with mayonnaise and ketchup. Kids love this this simple Aloo Tikki Burgers. In Amritsar and may cities in Northern India, Aloo Tikki Burger Chaat is a famous street food. Aloo Tikkis are served in burger buns topped with tamarind and green spicy chutney.
For detailed method and stepwise process pls refer the recipe card.. will be soon updating the video.
Aloo Tikki(with Moong Dal)
For Aloo Tikki
- 5-6 Boiled Potatoes(Medium Sized)
- ½-¾ Cup Poha or Rice Flakes Cornstarch or Cornflour/Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro/Coriander
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Chilli flakes optional
- 1-2 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Salt or as required
For Moong Dal Filling
- 1 tsp Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- ½ Cup Soaked Moong Dal
- 1 tsp Ginger small ½" piece optional
- 1 tsp Amchur Powder or Chaat Masala
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Finely Chopped Green Chilies or as required skip when making for kids
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp Oil
For Sweet Yogurt
- 1 Cup Fresh Yogurt/Dahi
- 1 tsp Any sweetener(honey, raw sugars)
- Kala Namak(Black Salt) or Table Salt as required
Assembling Tikki Chaat
- 1 Cup Sweet Yogurt/Dahi
- Chaat Masala as required
- Red Chilli Powder as required
- Jeera Powder as required
- Finely Chopped Onions as required
- Finely Chopped Cilantro/Coriander Leaves as required for garnish as required
- Spicy Green or Cilantro Mint Chutney as required for topping
- Sweet Tamarind Chutney/Imli ki Chutney as required for topping
- Wash and soak Moong Dal in water for about 2-3 hrs.
- Boil potatoes and cool completely. Refrigerate for about 1-2 hrs.
- Sauté for about a minute.
Make Moong Dal Stuffing
- Coarsely grind moong dal.
- Before making filling drain the water completely.
- In a pan, heat oil, add jeera/cumin seeds. Once seeds crackle, add ginger and chilli(optional) paste , sauté for a minute and then add moong dal.
- Add spices(coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder and salt) and mix.
- Take off the flame.
- Cool completely and mix chopped coriander(optional).
For Aloo Tikki
- Grate all the potatoes. Take care potatoes should not have extra moisture.
- Add red chilli powder, salt and finely chopped coriander,
- Add cornflour. You can also use breadcrumbs or soaked poha for binding. Mash nicely and mix well with potatoes.
- Now divide potato mixture in equal portions, size of big lemon.
- Lightly oil your hands, flatten each portion, add a 1-2 tsp of filling and seal the edges carefully.
- Flatten tikkis lightly.
- Repeat the process for all tikkis.
Shallow Frying Tikkis
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan add oil/ghee to shallow fry tikkis. Or heat a a griddle, arrange tikkis on it, and add sufficient oil/ghee.
- Once oil is hot, add tikkis one by one and fry on medium high heat till it starts to turn light brown.
- Now here, if you want to make ahead and use later, you can take out on a kitchen towel, cool completely and store accordingly.
- Before serving, again heat oil in a pan or use same oil, and fry once again till golden brown in color.
- Take out on a kitchen Towel and assemble for chaat.
Air Fryer Aloo Tikki Method
- To Air Fry, switch on the Air fryer, set the Air Fryer Mode on for about 22-25 mins. Or, preheat air fryer at 350F or 180C.
- When it indicates, add food, arrange tikkis on the tray, lightly spray or brush with oil.
- Air Fryer till done. Turn tikkis in between and brush lightly with oil after 10-12 mins.
- Take out and server as required.
Make Sweet Yogurt/Curd
- Mix all the ingredients listed under Sweet Yogurt/Curd
Assemble Tikkis for Chaat
- In serving bowl arrange 2-3 tikkis, top with sweet yogurt/chole masala, sprinkle chaat masala, jeera powder, red chilli powder as preferred, add chutneys-mint and cilantro chutney and tamarind chutney.
- (Optional)Top with finely chopped onions, crushed Papadis and Sev.
Do Aloo Tikki my way, and trust me you will want to make it again and again. Make it for weekend brunch or in evening. Serve it for your parties and get together. Or make tikkis and serve with burgers or mini sliders(Whole wheat Beetroot Burgers)
Whenever you make this do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!