One of the easiest snack or appetizer with the goodness of ripe tomatoes, extra-virgin olive oil herbs like basil, topped on a grilled bread.
Prep Time10 mins
Resting time30 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 1 loaf Crusty bread like Ciabatta, any good sourdough bread or baguette
- 3-4 Ripe Tomatoes
- 4-5 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 1-2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Black Pepper(Crushed)
- Salt to taste
Cut the loaf into slices around 2-3" thick.
Cut tomatoes in half, deseed and cut into small pieces.
Add olive oil, finely chopped basil,black pepper. Add salt. If preparing the tomato beforehand then add salt at the time of serving.
Grill the bread slices till light golden brown. Rub garlic on one of the sides. Or add a tsp of garlic powder to oil and brush on one side.
Add topping and serve immediately. I also added some fresh herbed goat cheese. You can add cheese of your choice or add only tomatoes.
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese is most popular topping for Bruschetta. Goat Cheese, fresh Ricotta or Mascarpone can also be used for the toppings.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers, olives, avocado .
- Herbs like Thyme, Oregano, Cilantro. Yee, I use Cilantro/fresh coriander leaves many times and we love the fresh taste that imparts to tomato topping.
- Many like to add finely chopped onions. Add sweet red onions, else it can spoil your bruschetta.
- Add some fruit flavoured Balsamic Vinegar for the fruity kick!!
- Top it with cheese grill till the cheese melts. Kids love this pizza version of bruschetta.