Makhana Namkeen(Fox Nut Trail Mix)
Makhana Namkeen, a healthy mix of roasted makhana(fox nut/lotus seeds ) with nuts like cashew nuts. raisins. Makhana Namkeen for fasting. Gluten-free and vegan Makhana snack recipe. Lotus Seeds/Fox Nuts recipe.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 2 Cups
- 1.5 Cup Makhana/Fox Nuts/Lotus Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds/Melon Seeds/Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Raisins and Cranberries
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala or Amchur Powder(Dry Mango Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Ghee/Oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
In a kadhai or heavy bottomed pan dry roast makhanas. Check by crushing Makhana between index finger and thumb. It should be crisp. Once done take out in a dry bowl and keep aside.
In the same pan, add ghee, add curry leaves, cashews, seeds with red chilli powder and roast till they give aroma.
Add makhana, raisins and cranberries and mix in the dry spices(chaat masala, salt and sugar).
Mix well till the spices coat the nuts and seeds. Keep the flame to medium and take care not to burn the nuts and seeds.
Take out in a bowl or plate and store in an airtight container once completely cool down.
- For fasting days add Sendha Namak. You can also avoid the dry masalas as per your dietary preferences.
- Add any nuts/seeds of your choice. You can Almonds and pistachios and peanuts also.
- If having nut allergies, add only seeds.
- If Chaat Masala is not available to you, mix 1 tsp of cumin powder and 1 tsp of amchur(dry mango) powder.
- Avoid Red chilli powder or add as required when making for kids.