Chocolate Mawa Muffins with Thandai Masala
Delicious Chocolate Mawa Cupcakes flavoured with Thandai Masala.. Make delicious chocolate mawa muffins rich in thandai flavours.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Mawa/Milk Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Thandai Powder
- 1/2 Cup Oil/Melted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Castor Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Finely chopped Almonds/Cashews with Raisins
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Rose Essence(optional)
Make buttermilk, add vinegar to milk and keep aside. Do not stir the milk.
Preheat oven to 350F or 180C . Line the muffin tray with liners.
In a bowl sieve together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda and thandai powder, crumbled mawa or milk powder.
In another mixing bowl, mix together oil and sugar till sugar dissolves. Add essence if using, I skipped essence as the thandai powder has a nice aroma.
Add flour and mix buttermilk. Fold the batter lightly. The batter will be lumpy, that's how we want our muffin batter to be.
Add and fold finely chopped almonds and raisins.
Transfer the batter to the muffin tray. Fill each muffin cavity to 3/4.
Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, check the doneness of muffins with a toothpick. Also the the top will be a slightly cracked and the muffins will have a characteristic muffin top.
Take out from the muffin tray , let it cool and enjoy the exotic chocolate thandai muffins with any shake, a cup of tea or coffee!!
- I have used Whole Wheat flour, you can use All purpose flour/Maida or a mix of both in the ratio you want.
- Whole Wheat muffins have a slight dense texture than the ones baked with maida or all-purpose.
- Do not overbeat the muffin batter as these can become hard due to gluten development in flour. Just fold lightly. The batter may seem lumpy but this is fine.
- Use unsweetened khoya/mawa for making muffins.
- Roasted mawa/khoya in pan, cool it and crumble it before mixing with flour. Add milk powder directly to flour.
- You can add a tbsp of cornflour in whole wheat flour if you do not like the dense texture of Whole Wheat Flour/Atta.
- Adjust the amount of milk/liquid to batter as whole wheat flour needs more liquid and also it depends on the quality of flour.
- The batter should be of flowing consistency as we need for baking cakes or cupcakes. It should be thick and lumpy.
- For plain muffins without chocolate, omit cocoa powder and add the same amount of flour.