Chocolate Mawa Thandai Muffins, delicious Chocolate Mawa Muffins flavoured with Thandai Masala..
Chocolate Mawa Thandai Muffins, made these yumm muffins with the leftover Gujiya Mawa filling that I made on Holi. There was a bowl of the mawa filling left after I made Holi gujiyas , was thinking of making some more gujiyas, but then decided to use it in making muffins. Made with whole wheat flour these are soft, melt in mouth and spongy. Thandai masala adds an extra flavour rich in aromatic spices.
You must be wondering it's not Holi time, why Thandai Muffins???
I made these muffins just after Holi with the left-over mawa filling for gujiyas as mentioned above, somehow I could not post the recipe. Preethi, from my Facebook group Foodie Monday Bloghop, who blogs at Preethi's Cuisine when suggested the theme #190 Foodie Monday Bloghop Mini Cakes where we fellow bloggers have to bake muffins, cupcakes or bundts as per our choice. I was glad that I could now post my recipe, that I was thinking of postponing it for some special event or day.
Do check out Preethi's blog where she has some amazing recipes from traditional Indian cuisine to fusion and International recipes.
It's almost summers in many parts of world. Here in Iowa also, spring has finally arrived, gloomy and chilly winters are over. The weather is pleasant now and another month, it will be hot summers. In summers the body should be treated with food and nutrients that keep the body cool and refreshing. Lots of fruits, light summer drinks etc. Thandai is one such drink that has spices that are good for digestion, keep the body cool and fresh. Use the thandai masala or syrup in your cakes and muffins and desserts like pudding and shakes. You can use the store-bought Thandi Masala/ Syrup or Homemade as per your choice.
I use Whole Wheat Flour or Almond Flour in baking and have limited the use of all-purpose flour. I have even baked with Sorghum flour(Sorghum Cake)and coconut flour. Coconut flour muffins I have to try again as the first trial came out very dry.. and next in my list is spelt flour and buckwheat flour. I bake regularly and make healthy breads, quick breads, cookies and muffins for kids lunch box for their snack time. I try to include the healthy ingredients in whatever I give them. There are a lot of recipes on the blog with fruits, veggies for muffins and cakes. Whole Wheat breads and buns.. few of these are .. Whole Wheat Apple Cake, Double Chocolate Banana Bread, Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders and many more.
Pls see notes in the recipe on how get the perfect muffins...
It's been several days since Holi and you must not be having the mawa filling, you can still bale these muffins with milk powder and nuts.
If you are baking at Holi time or any special occasion or festival time , then do make some extra gujiya filling and make these muffins to perk up your Holi menu. These are eggless and can be served to all your guests.
Let's see how I baked these super soft and flavourful Chocolate Thandai Muffins.
Chocolate Mawa Muffins with Thandai Masala
- 1 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Mawa/Milk Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Thandai Powder
- 1/2 Cup Oil/Melted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Castor Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Finely chopped Almonds/Cashews with Raisins
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Rose Essence(optional)
- Make buttermilk, add vinegar to milk and keep aside. Do not stir the milk.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C . Line the muffin tray with liners.
- In a bowl sieve together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda and thandai powder, crumbled mawa or milk powder.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together oil and sugar till sugar dissolves. Add essence if using, I skipped essence as the thandai powder has a nice aroma.
- Add flour and mix buttermilk. Fold the batter lightly. The batter will be lumpy, that's how we want our muffin batter to be.
- Add and fold finely chopped almonds and raisins.
- Transfer the batter to the muffin tray. Fill each muffin cavity to 3/4.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check the doneness of muffins with a toothpick. Also the the top will be a slightly cracked and the muffins will have a characteristic muffin top.
- Take out from the muffin tray , let it cool and enjoy the exotic chocolate thandai muffins with any shake, a cup of tea or coffee!!
- I have used Whole Wheat flour, you can use All purpose flour/Maida or a mix of both in the ratio you want.
- Whole Wheat muffins have a slight dense texture than the ones baked with maida or all-purpose.
- Do not overbeat the muffin batter as these can become hard due to gluten development in flour. Just fold lightly. The batter may seem lumpy but this is fine.
- Use unsweetened khoya/mawa for making muffins.
- Roasted mawa/khoya in pan, cool it and crumble it before mixing with flour. Add milk powder directly to flour.
- You can add a tbsp of cornflour in whole wheat flour if you do not like the dense texture of Whole Wheat Flour/Atta.
- Adjust the amount of milk/liquid to batter as whole wheat flour needs more liquid and also it depends on the quality of flour.
- The batter should be of flowing consistency as we need for baking cakes or cupcakes. It should be thick and lumpy.
- For plain muffins without chocolate, omit cocoa powder and add the same amount of flour.
I know the pics are not very clear. I was trying to make video of this so cudn't take all the pics. the video didn't came out well, so will redo again sometime later and will update the post.
I used leftover mawa filling for the muffins.You can add the same amount of mawa and finely chopped nuts of your choice. Substitute milk powder with mawa if you don't have mawa.. you can even skip mawa and milk powder, and add only thandai powder to the muffins. Mawa adds to the richness of muffins. You can frost these with White chocolate ganache and top with finely chopped dry fruits for special occasions.For White Chocolate Ganache refer to Thandai Flavoured Mawa Bundts.
The spices in Thandai keep the body cool and are also good for digestion. With the thandai masala/ syrup make Thandai Cake or Muffins. Do make these flavourful and aromatic muffins rich in Indian spices and treat your friends and family with some Indian flavours infused in muffins.
Enjoy these muffins with any shake/smoothie, a cup of tea or coffee. Make it on your tea party and impress your guest with these exotic muffins. with the delicious mawa, chocolate, aromatic Masala and nuts!!
Hope you will like these Chocolate Mawa Muffins with Thandai Masala. Do give me your feedback and you can get in touch with me anytime if you have any queries..
Say hello to me on my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest and Instagram. Whenever you make this,do post on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. Pin the recipes for later use.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back.
I've yet to try baking mawa cakes. Yours with chocolate and thandai must be a burst of flavors. Love the combination.
Thanks Mayuriji! Do try whenever you bake next!! Mawa Muffins taste awesome .. my kids loved these chocolate version..
Such a Innovative recipe Swati. Chocolate ,mawa and thandai powder is an amazing combo. Fabulous share for the theme.
The Girl Next Door
The cupcakes look so good! I can imagine just how delicious they would be, with the thandai flavour. Super healthy bake too! 🙂
Thanks Priya!! Glad you like these..
What is not to like about these healthy and flavorful muffins Swaty ? Healthy , wholesome and delectable !