Thandai Syrup and Concentrate Recipe for Festivals and Summers | Learn how to make Thandai
One of the most refreshing Cold Drinks from India, Thandai is served especially on Holi festival and also consumed in summers to keep the body cool and nourished. It is a very popular drink in North Indian states of Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana.
Thandai is made with nuts like Almonds, Cashew nuts, Pistachios and fragrant spices like fennel seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, and saffron. It elevates the senses and rejuvenates the body during harsh Indian summer.
A perfect drink to serve on your special days and festive occasions. It is popularly associated with two Indian festivals…Mahashivratri and Holi. It has a very unique flavor, due to spices used in it. No other drink can match the taste of refreshing Thandai.
In my family we all love Thandai. Once in a while I make Thandai Syrup in summers. Kids love too love to have chilled glass of Thandai. One glass of is enough to take away all day’s stress and tiredness.
Provide Energy-Melon seeds, Almonds, Pistachios
Boosts the immunity and fights infections–Black peppercorns, Cardamom
Cools down the body- Gulkand, Rose Petals,
Aid in digestion-Poppy Seeds,Cardamom
Masala Powder or Syrup
Thandai mix is made in two ways.. Thandai Masala Powder, made by grinding all the ingredients together. We add Thandai powder to boiling milk, cook for few minutes and chill for few hrs. before serving it. Other form in which Thandai is consumed is concentrated sugar syrup form where you add it directly to your chilled milk. For concentrate, spices are cooked in sugar and water mixed.
Making concentrate needs a bit of preparation. Nuts and spices should be soaked for few hrs,before grinding to smooth paste.
All the ingredients used here are very nutritious and cool down the body and mind especially in summers.
Spices like fennel seeds, cardamom, melon seeds, poppy seeds aid in digestion and help to keep the body cool.
Let’s see how to make Thandai Concentrate and Masala Powder!!
- ½ Cup Almonds
- ½ Cup Cashew Nuts/Pistachios
- ¼ tbsp Melon Seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- ¼ Cup Saffron Strands
- 2-3 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1½-2 tbsp Black Peppercorns
- 10-15 Green Cardamoms
- 2 tbsp Dried Rose Petals(Edible) (optional) or Fresh Petals(Edible)
- 2 tbsp Gulkand/Rose Petal Jam(optional)
For Thandai Concentrate
- 2-3 Cups Jaggery Powder/Raw Cane Sugar or any Sugar
To make Thandai Concentrate
- Soak Almonds 3-4 hrs before making Thandai and then peel.
- Or you can soak almonds in warm water or microwave, this softens the peel and it comes out easily.
- Soak cashews, poppy seeds, green cardamom seeds, melon seeds in water 2-3 hrs before making Thandai.
- Drain water from the spices .
- Transfer all the ingredients to a grinder. Add about ½ Cup water.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- In a pan add water and jaggery and keep it for boiling. Once the water starts boiling, add paste. Mix well and cook the mixture on low heat.
- Cook till the mixture starts getting thick. If you want to store thandai for about a month, cook it till one thread consistency.
- Also, add a pinch of citric acid/sodium benzoate for longer shelf life.
- Once done, cool completely , transfer in glass bottle, close the cap tightly and refrigerate.
- I like to store the concentrate without sieving. You can filter Thandai concentrate using a muslin cloth and strainer.
To make Thandai Masala Powder
- Add all the nuts, spices and saffron strand in a mixer/grinder. Grind to a fine powder. You can grind nuts first then spices.
- Store in a air tight jar.
Make Chilled Thandai Drink from Thandai Concentrate(one glass)
- Take about ¾ glass of Chilled milk.
- Add about ¼ or 2 tbsp of Thandai Concentrate and mix well.
Make Chilled Thandai Drink from Thandai Masala Powder(2 glasses)
- In a pan take about 2 cups if milk boil on medium heat.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp of Thandai Masala Powder and gulkand/rose petal jam. and jaggery/sugar to taste. Mix well.
- Cook on medium flame till milk comes to boil.
- Once done. Cool down the mixture, sieve if required.
- Chill before serving.
Add Gulkand(Rose Petal Jam) and rose petals to the ingredients and make Gulkand Thandai.
Blend some Mango pieces or mango concentrate to the chilled milk, make Mango Thandai.
Try this Thandai Lassi with homemade Thandai Powder, yogurt.
If you didn’t make Thandai on Holi, make it in summers, flavor the way you like it and beat the heat!!
Check the recipe for Mawa Mini Bundts with Thandai and Saffron Infused White Chocolate Ganache, or make Chocolate Thandai Muffins.
Planning a menu for Holi and confused on what to make.. click on Holi Get-together. A collection of selected recipes from Starters, Drinks to Main Course..
Whenever you make delicious and refreshing Thandai(Syrup/masala) , do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!