Thandai Syrup/Concentrate and Masala Recipe for Holi and Summers | Learn how to make Thandai (Syrup and Concentrate)
Make refreshing Thandai at home for Holi and summers, so much better than the pre-made masala and concentrate at stores.
What is Thandai
One of the most refreshing Cold Drinks from India, served especially on Holi festival and also served in summers to keep the body cool and nourished.
A very popular drink in North Indian states of Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana.
Thandai means cooling and it is made with nuts like Almonds, Cashew nuts, Pistachios and fragrant spices like fennel seeds, peppercorns, cardamom, and saffron. Elevates the senses and rejuvenates the body during harsh Indian summer.
It is popularly associated with two Indian festivals...Maha Shivratri and Holi. It has a very unique flavor due to spices used in it. No other drink can match it's refreshing taste.
In my family we all love this summer special. Once in a while I make syrup in summers or keep my homemade Masala ready. Kids also happily finish the chilled glass of Thandai milk. One glass of is enough to take away all day's stress and tiredness.
Benefits of the ingredients
Provides Energy-Melon seeds, Almonds, Pistachios
Boosts the immunity and fights infections--Black peppercorns, Cardamom
Cools down the body- Gulkand, Rose Petals, Fennel Seeds
Aids in digestion-Poppy Seeds, Cardamom
Thandai Masala Powder/Spice Mix
Thandai mix is made in two ways.. Masala Powder, made by grinding all the ingredients together. Store Masala in an air tight container.
Other form in which Thandai is consumed is Concentrated syrup form which we can directly add to the boiled and chilled milk.
To make concentrate, ingredients like nuts and spices are soaked in water for 3-4 hrs. Then grind to fine paste, that we cook in sugar syrup.
Cool the syrup and then store in airtight glass bottles.
How to make Thandai Milk from Concentrate and Masala
To make Thandai milk from masala, boil milk, add masala and cook for few minutes. Add sugar and chill for few hrs before serving.
To make Thandai milk from from concentrate, we directly add the syrup to boiled and chilled milk.
You can store the Spice mix/Masala and Syrup for 2-3 months. There is no need to refrigerate the syrup and spice mix.
Add Gulkand(Rose Petal Jam) and rose petals to the ingredients and make Gulkand Thandai.
Blend Mango pieces or add Mango puree to the chilled milk, make Mango Thandai.
Try this Mango Lassi(yogurt drink) with homemade Thandai powder, yogurt.
If you didn't make it on Holi, make it in summers, flavor the way you like it and beat the heat!!
More Chilled Drinks for summers and festivals from the blog
Recipe with Thandai Masala Powder and Concentrate
Check the recipe for Mawa Mini Bundts with Thandai and Saffron Infused White Chocolate Ganache, or make Chocolate Thandai Muffins.
Planning a menu for Holi and confused on what to make.. click on Holi Get-together. A collection of selected recipes from Starters, Drinks to Main Course..
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- ½ Cup Almonds
- ½ Cup Cashew Nuts/Pistachios
- ¼ tbsp Melon Seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- ¼ Cup Saffron Strands
- 2-3 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1½-2 tbsp Black Peppercorns
- 10-15 Green Cardamoms
- 2 tbsp Dried Rose Petals(Edible) (optional) or Fresh Petals(Edible)
- 2 tbsp Gulkand/Rose Petal Jam(optional)
For Thandai Concentrate
- 2-3 Cups Jaggery Powder/Raw Cane Sugar or any Sugar
- 1 l Water
To make Thandai Concentrate
- Soak Almonds 3-4 hrs before making Thandai and then peel.
- Or you can soak almonds in warm water or microwave, this softens the peel and it comes out easily.
- Soak cashews, poppy seeds, green cardamom seeds, melon seeds in water 2-3 hrs before making Thandai.
- Drain water from the spices .
- Transfer all the ingredients to a grinder. Add about ½ Cup water.
- Grind to a fine paste.
- In a pan add water and jaggery and keep it for boiling. Once the water starts boiling, add paste. Mix well and cook the mixture on low heat.
- Cook till the mixture starts getting thick. If you want to store thandai for about a month, cook it till one thread consistency.
- Also, add a pinch of citric acid/sodium benzoate for longer shelf life.
- Once done, cool completely , transfer in glass bottle, close the cap tightly and refrigerate.
- I like to store the concentrate without sieving. You can filter Thandai concentrate using a muslin cloth and strainer.
To make Thandai Masala Powder
- Add all the nuts, spices and saffron strand in a mixer/grinder. Grind to a fine powder. You can grind nuts first then spices.
- Store in a air tight jar.
- Do not add rose petal jam while making masala. You can add dried rose petals while grinding the spices.
Make Chilled Thandai Drink from Thandai Concentrate(one glass)
- Take about ¾ glass of chilled milk.
- Add about ¼ Cup or 2 tbsp of Thandai Concentrate and mix well.
Make Chilled Thandai Drink from Thandai Masala Powder(2 glasses)
- In a pan take about 2 cups if milk boil on medium heat.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp of Thandai Masala Powder and gulkand/rose petal jam(optional) and jaggery/sugar to taste. Mix well.
- Cook on medium flame till milk comes to boil.
- Once done. Cool down the mixture, sieve if required.
- Chill before serving.
- Use plant based milk(Almond/Soy milk) for vegan friendly thandai.
- Gulkand has honey, replace it with rose petals.
I hope that you and your loved ones will love this Thandai Recipe. It is so good to have in summers or on special occasions like Holi.
Whenever you make it do post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!