Roasted Beetroot Chaas | Chakunder Ka Chaas| Spiced Indian Yogurt Drink with Roasted Beetroot
Roasted Beetroot Chaas is a very delicious and healthy appetizer recipe, with chilled yogurt and roasted beetroot, to satiate the thirst and hunger during hot summer months.
Chaas is, spiced Indian Yogurt drink, with spices like cumin powder, black salt and herbs like fresh ginger, cilantro and mint leaves. It is the traditional Indian drink, that is made in most of the households during summers and is consumed along with meals. Chaas or Buttermilk as it is also known as , is very healthy and is a natural coolant. It has digestive properties and many other health benefits.
Checkout the detailed traditional Chaas Recipe HERE, along with its nutritional benefits.
Beetroot is a very nutritional vegetable and is mainly consumed as salad vegetable.Rich in iron, antioxidants and fibers along with vitamins and minerals.Kids do not like to eat it raw in salads so I like to sneak it kids their food. You can use beetroot puree in baking soft burger buns or cooking paratha/chapati dough. Many people can't digest raw beetroot due to the presence of certain compounds in it. You can either boil or roast beetroot in oven.
I like the roasted flavour of beetroot. I do keep a batch of boiled/ roasted beetroot puree handy in freezer. Best way to store is to freeze it in ice cube tray or muffin molds.You can use it whenever you like in idli, appe(Instant Sooji and Oats Appe)chaas, raita, pulao or paratha/chapati/bread dough (Whole Wheat Beetroot Sliders/ Mini Burger Buns), soups (Tomato and Beetroot Rasam) and many other ways.
How to Roast Beetroot
To roast beetroot, wash it nicely and then pat dry beets with a kitchen towel or paper tissue.
Peel off the beets, then cut it halfway then in slices.
In Oven/Air Fryer
Arrange slices on baking tray. You can use an aluminium foil/parchment paper or silicone mat on tray. Grill/Broil beets on HIGH for about 30 mins. Instead of oven you can do it in OTG or Microwave convection oven also(on grill mode).
In case you don't have oven, you can simply peel, chop and boil and then puree beetroot to use chaas/raita.
How to make Roasted Beetroot Chaas
To make Beetroot Chaas we should have roasted beetroot. For that first roast the beetroot as per the instructions given above.
You can also use frozen beetroot puree to make Chaas.
Spices used are Roasted Cumin Powder, Black Pepper(optional) and Black/Himalayan Pink Salt.
The main flavour of this Chaas if from Curry leaves and fresh ginger. Incase you do not have curry leaves, you can add fresh mint and cilantro leaves.
If yogurt/curd is a bit sour, you can add jaggery powder/ raw sugar to adjust the taste. Do not use very sour yogurt to make Chaas.
Curry leaves are available at any Indian Grocery store in places outside India.
Roast cumin seeds on griddle/tawa and crush it coarsely or grind to a fine powder and use as required.
Recipe Card for Roasted Beetroot Chass
Roasted Beetroot Chaas
- Oven/OTG/Microwave Convection
- Whole Beetroot as required
To make Roasted Beetroot Chaas
- 1 Cup Fresh Yogurt/Curd(Dahi)
- ¼ Cup Beetroot Puree
- Fresh Ginger Piece (½-1")
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- `1 tsp Jaggery Powder(small chunk)
- Black Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt as per taste
- Black Pepper Powder as Required
Method to Roast Beetroot
- Wash nicely beetroot. Pat dry on a paper towel.
- Peel off the skin and cut in half .
- Chop off into thin vertical slices.
- Line on a baking tray or oven safe dish. Also be careful, take dish on which the stains can be washed off clearly.
- Roast for about 30 mins.
- Cool beetroot slices and then store for use.
- Alternatively, wash beets and pat dry. Wrap in an aluminium foil, and roast for about 30 mins.
- Cool, and rub of the skin. It will come out easily.
- Chop /slice or puree and use as required.
- You can Puree it and freeze in portions in ice cube tray.
How to make Roasted Beetroot Chaas
- In a blender, add roasted beetroot slices/puree. When using puree, add all the ingredients together.
- Add about 2-3 cups of chilled water.
- Add ginger piece, curry leaves, green chilies.
- Blend till all the beetroot slices are pureed.
- Now add yogurt and salt. add jaggery powder/sugar if using.
- And Blend to a smooth mixture.
- Serve in glasses topped with mint leaves. You can also add more ice cubes.
- Serve in glasses, topped with more cumin powder or black pepper powder.
- You can add ice cubes if you want for a more chilled glass of Chaas.
Do try this natural coolant and healthy drink, which is not good good for digestion but also aids in weight loss. A very nutritious drink for your family.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!
I love this! I mean the colour just makes you wanna grab that glass! I love how you store the roasted beetroot puree in the freezer, it is so handy to make this delicious drink on a hot summer day.