Gluten-free, Dairy -free Light Fruitcake
A light dairy-free, gluten-free spiced fruit cake that needs no soaking of fruits days ahead of making.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1-2 Tbsp Cornstarch(Gluten-free) or Tapioca flour
- 1/2 Cup Castor Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- Salt a pinch
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon Powder optional
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger Powder optional
Dried Fruit and Juice Mixture
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Dried Nuts and Fruits Cranberries,Raisins,Apricots,Blueberries , Cashew Nuts or Walnuts
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Tsp Orange Essence use vanilla or any other fruit essence like Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Raspberry or Pineapple
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Almond Milk Use any dairy free milk.
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar or any fruit based vinegar
Finely chop the nuts and fruits and soak in juice for at least 30 mins. Add chia seeds and mix. Add vinegar to almond milk to make buttermilk.
Sieve together almond flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger powder, cinnamon powder.
Pre-heat oven to 325F or 165C. Grease and dust a 6" round pan or line with a parchment paper.
In a bowl add and beat together oil, sugar and essence. Add flour mix and buttermilk and fold the batter. Drain soaked fruits from the juice and fold in the batter. The batter should be of muffin consistency just mixed together not be of dropping consistency.
Transfer in the pan and tap the pan 2-3 times on the counter. Don' bang it, just tap lightly. Top with more dry fruits or nuts of your choice.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins. Check the cake after 20 mins, if the top starts to turn brown, cover the cake with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes. A fully baked cake should leave the sides of the pan.
Once done keep the cake on the counter for 1-2 minutes, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack and leave it to cool completely. Once cooled keep in an air-tight container and enjoy the next day. It will be more flavourful, moist and soft.
- I used cornstarch if you are making for someone with gluten allergies make sure the cornflour has no wheat label. Use Tapioca flour or arrowroot starch to make a full gluten-free cake.
- I have used Almond Flour in the recipe, not almond meal. Both have different textures. Almond meal is more grainy than the flour.
- Instead of Almond flour, other gluten-free flours like Soybean flour, Jowar or Ragi can be used in the recipe, but the texture will be different. Also, adjust the liquid ingredients as these flours absorb more liquid.
- For a refined sugar-free cake use coconut sugar or brown sugar. the color will be dark due to the color of the sugars used. Stevia can also be used instead of refined sugar.
- My family likes moderately sweet desserts and cakes, I added sugar little than half cup as half cup sugar in the almond cake was too sweet for us, when I had baked earlier. add sugar as required.
- If using coconut sugar add less sugar as coconut sugar is sweeter than the regular sugar.
- If for the first time you are using gluten-free flour, pls stick to the recipe and remember the texture will not be like the wheat flour cakes.
- Grate some orange zest for a strong citrusy flavor. Refer my Light fruitcake or Almond Orange Cake recipe.