Light dairy-free, glutenfree fruit cake that needs no soaking of fruits days ahead of making.
Dried fruits in the cake soaked on orange juice with a hint of dry ginger and cinnamon, so full of flavors almost like the traditional Christmas Cake.
Christmas is here, everyone's ovens are switched on.. cookies, cakes, pies, bread and other baked goods. Everyone is ready to enjoy the treats.. so why not those who have gluten- allergies or are on special diets.
A few days back I had posted my gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free chocolate cake recipe that not only my kids loved but also was appreciated by my many readers. A request from a mom for a gluten-free and vegan cake for her son, made me do this post for the gluten-free and vegan fruitcake. I really want to thank her for requesting the recipe as it was in my to-do list but kept it postponing. This Almond fruitcake is so light and moist in texture and was loved by my kids and hubby, it was gone within an hour after I finally took the pics of the cake for my post. I am taking this for Bake-A-Thon Dec-18.
Few pointers that one should keep in mind while baking with Almond Flour as this flour is gluten-free.
Cakes baked with Almond flour won't have the same texture as with Whole Wheat Flour or All-Purpose Flour.
Also, Almond flour needs less liquid than the flours with gluten, we need to actually see how the recipe and ingredients work for us.
Keep the baking temperature to 325°F and after 20 mins of baking time, check the cake in the oven, if the top starts turning brown, cover the cake with aluminum foil. For this recipe, it took exactly 30 mins to bake.
This recipe works for a single 6" round cake pans or the small bundt pan. Pls, note the baking time may vary with the ovens and pans used.
This light moist and soft cake is suitable not only for people who are on a gluten-free or dairy-free diets but also by anyone, especially for kids.
Once the cake is baked, cool it completely and keep in an air-tight container and have it the next day, The cake absorbs the flavors from the fruit and juice.
Let's see the recipe...
Gluten-free, Dairy -free Light Fruitcake
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1-2 Tbsp Cornstarch(Gluten-free) or Tapioca flour
- 1/2 Cup Castor Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- Salt a pinch
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon Powder optional
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger Powder optional
Dried Fruit and Juice Mixture
- 1/2 Cup Mixed Dried Nuts and Fruits Cranberries,Raisins,Apricots,Blueberries , Cashew Nuts or Walnuts
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Tsp Orange Essence use vanilla or any other fruit essence like Mixed Fruit, Strawberry, Raspberry or Pineapple
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Almond Milk Use any dairy free milk.
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar or any fruit based vinegar
- Finely chop the nuts and fruits and soak in juice for at least 30 mins. Add chia seeds and mix. Add vinegar to almond milk to make buttermilk.
- Sieve together almond flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger powder, cinnamon powder.
- Pre-heat oven to 325F or 165C. Grease and dust a 6" round pan or line with a parchment paper.
- In a bowl add and beat together oil, sugar and essence. Add flour mix and buttermilk and fold the batter. Drain soaked fruits from the juice and fold in the batter. The batter should be of muffin consistency just mixed together not be of dropping consistency.
- Transfer in the pan and tap the pan 2-3 times on the counter. Don' bang it, just tap lightly. Top with more dry fruits or nuts of your choice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins. Check the cake after 20 mins, if the top starts to turn brown, cover the cake with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes. A fully baked cake should leave the sides of the pan.
- Once done keep the cake on the counter for 1-2 minutes, then carefully transfer to a cooling rack and leave it to cool completely. Once cooled keep in an air-tight container and enjoy the next day. It will be more flavourful, moist and soft.
- I used cornstarch if you are making for someone with gluten allergies make sure the cornflour has no wheat label. Use Tapioca flour or arrowroot starch to make a full gluten-free cake.
- I have used Almond Flour in the recipe, not almond meal. Both have different textures. Almond meal is more grainy than the flour.
- Instead of Almond flour, other gluten-free flours like Soybean flour, Jowar or Ragi can be used in the recipe, but the texture will be different. Also, adjust the liquid ingredients as these flours absorb more liquid.
- For a refined sugar-free cake use coconut sugar or brown sugar. the color will be dark due to the color of the sugars used. Stevia can also be used instead of refined sugar.
- My family likes moderately sweet desserts and cakes, I added sugar little than half cup as half cup sugar in the almond cake was too sweet for us, when I had baked earlier. add sugar as required.
- If using coconut sugar add less sugar as coconut sugar is sweeter than the regular sugar.
- If for the first time you are using gluten-free flour, pls stick to the recipe and remember the texture will not be like the wheat flour cakes.
- Grate some orange zest for a strong citrusy flavor. Refer my Light fruitcake or Almond Orange Cake recipe.
Try out the recipe if you are looking for a gluten-free and vegan fruit cake recipe. Enjoy the festivities and celebrations with your loved ones. This is good option to make for kids snack time. Glaze with some Orange Glaze or Vegan Chocolate Ganache refer my Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake post for the recipe.
Check out other Eggless cake Recipe from the blog.. Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Choco Chip Bread, Eggless Sponge Cake(with Yogurt and buttermilk), Double Chocolate Banana Bread, Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread, Almond Orange Cake
Sharing at Bake-A-Thon Dec'18 Day 8.
Check out the other bloggers doing this Bake-a-Thon An InLinkz Link-up
Joining Fiesta Friday #255 by Angie and co-hosts this week are Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook and Diann @ Of Goats and Greens
Do give me your feedback and whenever you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my Food Trails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back for more such yummy recipes ?!!
I'm a huge fan of fruitcakes. This one looks so inviting with such perfect texture - and that too gluten free!
Thanks Maria..it is perfect for kids too!!
Love everything about this recipe, Swaty! The cake looks so moist and perfect for folks with allergies.
Thanks Azlin!! It is kids friendly fruit cake too!! Glad you like it!!
That is one gorgeous looking cake! love the detailed instructions you have given for baking this cake! Getting a wonderful texture like this in GF bakes is such a feat! Lovely bake and well written post!
That is one gorgeous cake! love how you have given detailed instruction for baking this cake! Getting a wonderful texture with GF bakes is such a tremendous feat!!! Lovely bake and very well done post!!!
Oh! The cake looks so gorgeous. Want to have a slice of it. I haven't made and eaten a vegan and gluten free cake so far. This cake is prompting me to try one 🙂
This is such a beautiful cake. Gluten free and vegan too
Beautiful capture.. Love the clicks and sure the cake
That is such a moist, soft and delicious looking fruit cake. Kudos to you for making this gluten free and dairy free cake. So perfect for the holidays for anyone with dietary restrictions.
Mireille Roc (@ChefMireille)
cakes looks so soft tender and moist and like the use of ginger in the spices
Renu Agrawal Dongre
That is sure such a healthy bake, with almond flour and so many fruits in it.
Am so in love with the GF version of your cake, Swati ! I had a similar one for Xmas day as part of the bakeathon & your cake is very inviting and healthy ! Wonderful pick ??
Fruit cakes are so popular at this time of the year. Your version looks great with nice texture.
This is seriously sinful and so well baked...bookmarking it for later..thanks for sharing..
This is one such amazing cake recipe,look gorgeous and the cake got a lovely texture.
That is such a beautiful cake being both gf and vegan. Amazing texture too.
Loved the recipe!
This fruit cake looks so delish!! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party!
Like gluten free recipes - a keeper, thanks.
Yum!! I'm recently gluten free so I'd love to give this a go!
Thank you for sharing this with Fiesta Friday! I like that it is a light and gluten-free fruitcake,
Thats a wonderful way to bake a fruit cake as gluten free and vegan, tremendous job. Even whoever have issues with gluten can make some incredible festive cake after going through this post. Well done Swati.
I loved both your fruit cake recipes, Swati. These are great choices for people with diet restrictions.
the #1 Itinerary
Great post ?
the #1 Itinerary
No problem ? check out my blog when you get the chance ?
the #1 Itinerary
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
I love how you made a cake both gluten free and vegan, it is really a big challenge! Love the texture of the cake...
Wow! Looks really yum..