“Why are you not baking any Chocolate cake for us?? The only thing you are baking these days is cookies or muffins with nuts, fruits or veggies. We want a Chocolate Cake, and just a chocolate cake, no nuts, no fruits, and yes we want some chocolate icing too!!” This is what my kids said to me this weekend when I was thinking about what to bake for my next blog post for Bake-A-Thon and Blogging Marathon where the theme is Baking Cake for Kids. I always tell my kids what veggies or fruits I sneak or use in their desserts or treats and breads and always take a suggestion from them about what should I make for my next blog post when it comes to baking. Well, this time they just clearly told me what they want.. and I decided to go by their choice. Already, there is one Chocolate Cake recipe on the blog Chocolate Truffle Cake, so decided to change the ingredients and make a healthy version of it. So here’s another Chocolate Cake from my blog…Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake, a gluten-free, sugar-free, butter-free, eggless and suitable for vegans. I frosted the cake with chocolate ganache made with Almond milk and Chocolate chips. I didn’t have dairy-free chocolate or chips and ran out of cocoa powder also, so can’t tag my ganache suitable for vegans, but it can be a better option for those who want a light ganache not made with cream. The cake came out so moist, soft with a good crumb and the cake was gone within a few minutes of serving and left all three of them carving for more. I somehow took the pic of the cake with ganache and managed pic of just with a small bite of cake that was left for me. Hubby is not a fan of chocolate cake but he too indulged in this guilt-free treat and told me I should have baked a bigger cake so that they could have enjoyed it more!!
Coming back to the Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake, what I used here…
- Skipped Wheat flour and All-purpose flour, used Almond flour, Almond milk instead of regular milk
- Skipped the butter and used olive oil.
- For sweetness, I used Coconut sugar and it worked perfectly with my chocolate cake and made the cake more chocolatey and nutty due to its flavor and color.
- Buttermilk made with Almond milk and apple cider vinegar was used as egg-replacer. I thought of using chia seed gel but the skipped the idea. Skipped yogurt too as I wanted a vegan cake recipe for the blog. Check my Chai Spiced Whole Wheat Apple Cake where I have used Chia gel as egg-replacer.
You can substitute Coconut sugar with brown sugar or normal castor sugar. The color of the cake will be on the lighter side as compared to the one that has coconut sugar.
Dairy milk or coconut milk can be used in case you don’t have Almond Milk.
Let’s see how I made this moist, nutty, fudgy chocolate cake and the light ganache!!
Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Almond Essence optional
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
To make Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
For Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 3/4 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips/Chocolate Use dairy-free chocolate for vegan option.
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Pre-heat oven to 350F or 180C.
- Prepare buttermilk. Add apple cider vinegar to milk and let it stand for a few minutes.
- In a bowl sift together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl, beat coconut sugar and olive oil and almond essence and vanilla essence.
- Add the almond flour mix and gradually add the buttermilk and lightly fold the batter.
- Transfer batter to a 6"round cake pan lined with butter paper, and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check for doneness using a toothpick, there should be crumbs on the toothpick. Don't wait to come out clean, as it continues to bake even when out of oven.
- Cool on wire rack. The cake is very soft, take care it doesn't break.
- Take milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it to 1 min, pausing midway then again heating.
- Add the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate to milk. Let it sit in milk for a minute.
- Add vanilla essence and mix it vigorously to mix the chocolate well in milk. Beat it for 2-3 minutes. Once it cools, keep in refrigerator to set,. If you want pourable ganache, keep it at room temperature.
- Pour the ganache over the cake and spread with the help of a spatula. Decorate the cake with some strawberry slices or the garnish of your choice.
- Keep cake in the refrigerator for few minutes before serving. Whenever ready to eat, just slice and enjoy the treat!!
- This recipe gives you a 6" cake (diameter) in a round cake tin. You can adjust the ingredients if you want a bigger cake, for an 8" (diameter) round cake, double the ingredients.
- If not using Coconut sugar or if you want the cake on the sweeter side, use 3/4 cup of sugar. We like mildly sweet desserts so I lower the amount of sugar used when I bake for my family.
- Let the cake cool down completely before frosting it.
- Cake can be decorated with any frosting. whipped cream tastes awesome just like the Black Forest Cake..
- Cake tastes equally delicious even without any frosting.
The light and nutty ganache, beautifully covered the cake. I decorated the cake with some strawberry slices to add some color to the pics. It was a delicious guilt-free treat for all of us!!
Don’t want a chocolate cake, looking for something fruity.. here is another eggless Almond Cake recipe. Check out Almond Orange Cake, bursting with citrusy oranges. I used buttermilk and yogurt as egg-replacers so can’t tag it for vegans, but it’s a gluten-free treat.
Bake this Fudgy Almond Chocolate cake and cheer up your kids and loved ones. This cake tastes equally delicious without ganache also. Soft, moist and Crumbly and so chocolaty!!
Taking this fudgy eggless, gluten-free cake to Dec’18 Bake-A-Thon Day 4 .
Also sharing at Blogging Marathon for Week 2 Day 1 where the theme for this week in Kid’s delight is Make them Cakes.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#95. You can read about#95 Blogging Marathon in detail and who all are participating in it and the various categories.. here.
Do give me your feedback and whenever you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my Food Trails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back for more such yummy recipes 😋!!