Eggless Gluten-free crispy Fruit Cake Cookies loaded with nuts and dried fruits perfect cookie treat for Holidays.
Detailed recipe with instructional Video.
Flavored with the warm spices these are perfect for your Christmas cookie platter. A rich, fruity, delicious treat with crunch from the nuts.
These cookies complement well with the Christmas Fruit cake and make a adorable edible gift to be shared with your friends and family.
These are not only nutritious but also tastes so yumm.
About the recipe
I have made these fruit cake cookies with Whole Wheat Flour also and these came out perfect. For the last batch I couldn't take the pics and the whole batch was gone too soon. So, when I decided again to bake another batch(for the blog and on kids demand), I thought of experimenting with the Gluten-free flour mix. The cookies came out great, overloaded with fruits and nut came out great with a nice crisp.
I made my own Gluten-free mix with Sorghum Flour(Jowar), Rice Flour(made the cookies more crispy), Tapioca flour and some custard powder. Instead if custard powder you can add more tapioca flour or use corn flour. If tapioca flour is not available, you can use arrowroot.
In India Custard Powder is very popular for making eggless pudding and desserts. Checkout the recipes from the blog where I used custard powder to make the dessert.
Pack these cookies with other festive cookies and edible gits to share with your friends and family.
Some of the edible gift ideas
Ingredients used to make Eggless Gluten-free Fruit Cake Cookies
Gluten-free Flour Mix- Jowar/Sorghum Flour, Rice Flour, Tapioca Flour, Custard Powder. You can use any good store bought Gluten-free flour mix. Also, the amount of the flours used can be adjusted. Arrowroot works fine in place of Tapioca Flour(incase you cannot source it). Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Flour or Nutty Yogi Brands are good for buying Gluten-free flours.
Butter- Adds a nice buttery taste. I dint try these with oil so won't suggest using in the recipe. I used salted butter. If using unsalted butter add a tsp,
Mixed Dried Fruits and Nuts- Dried Apricots, dried berries, dates, figs and candied orange peels. Almonds, Cashew nuts and Walnuts.
Add your choice of nuts and dried fruits.
Sweetener- Used raw cane sugar in the recipe. You can use castor sugar also. Other Raw sugars like coconut sugar or jaggery or brown sugar will effect the texture and color of the cookies.
Spices- Ginger Powder, Cinnamon Powder
Others- Baking Soda, Milk.
Checkout HOMEMADE CANDIED ORANGE PEEL RECIPE from the blog
How to make Gluten-free Fruit Cake Cookies
Detailed Recipe and instructional video in Recipe Card
These are drop cookies, we make the dough by creaming butter and sugar and then fold in the fruits, nuts along with the flour.
I prepared the flour mix by mixing all the flours with spice powders and baking soda.
Next cream the butter and sugar together. It be smooth and creamy.
Then fold in the dried fruits, nuts and flour mix, gently.
Add milk first 1/4 cup then if required 2 tbsp at a time. I used about 1/3 cup of milk. Adding liquid also depends on the kind of flour we use.
Wen making these cookies with All purpose flour or Wheat flour the amount of liquid used in the recipe changes. It will increase as per what kind of flour we use.
You can make the cookies, soon after preparing the dough or you can also chill the dough. While refrigerating cover the bowl properly, with a lid or a cling film.
When ready to bake, 10 mins prior to it preheat the oven at 350F or 180C.
Make small lemon sized ball. Use an ice cream(! tbsp) scooper or melon scooper for medium sized or small cookies. Line the cookie dough balls on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Transfer the cookies on the cooling rack with some spatula. The cookies are very tender when out of the oven and may crumble. Use something to lift these up without breaking/crumbling the cookies.
Let the cookies cool down completely before transferring in cookie jars or containers.
I have used baking soda in the recipe, the cookies will spread. If you do not want the cookies to spread more add the same amount of baking powder.
Pro tips to get perfect Cookies
All the ingredients should be at room temperature.
Chop the nuts and dried fruits(big pieces like figs, dates, apricots) to small bits.
Do not overmix the cookie dough.
Add milk in steps, do not add milk at one go. First add 1/4 cup then 2 tbsp if required.
Preheat your oven at a given temp., use a good oven thermometer to check the temperature.
Do not open the oven door again and again to check the cookies.
Leave the baked cookies in the baking tray for 2-3 mins. and then transfer carefully using a spatula to the cooling rack.
Keep cookies in an air tight container.
Storage and Shelf Life
Store the baked cookies in air tight containers/cookie jars. Cool completely before storing these.
Stays good for about 10 days. Best taste on the next day when baked.
Cookie dough can be frozen for a couple of days.
Thaw the dough and then bake the cookies.
More cookie recipes from the blog-- Cookies and Crackers
Egg-free Gluten-free Fruit Cake Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
Gluten-free Flour Mix
- ½ Cup Jowar/Sorghum Flour
- ¼ Cup Rice Flour
- ¼ Cup Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Custard Powder or Cornstarch
- ½ tsp Ginger Powder
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ¼ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence optional
- ½ Cup Milk use as required
Nuts and Dried Fruit
- 2 tbsp Chopped Almonds
- 2 tbsp Chopped Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
- 2 tbsp Tutti Frutti
- ¼ Cup Mixed Dried Berries
- 3-4 Figs
- 4-5 Dates
- 2-3 Apricots
- Candied Orange Peel use as required
Make Flour Mix
- Mix together all the flours and cornstarch powder, baking soda and spice powders.½ Cup Jowar/Sorghum Flour, ¼ Cup Rice Flour, ¼ Cup Tapioca Flour, 2 tbsp Vanilla Custard Powder, ½ tsp Ginger Powder, ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
Make Cookie dough
- In a mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and vanilla essence(if using) to a creamy mix.¼ Cup Butter, ½ Cup Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Fold in the flour mix.
- Add in the chopped nuts and dried fruit mix.
- Mix everything nicely, so that the flour batter coats the nuts and fruits well.2 tbsp Chopped Almonds, 2 tbsp Chopped Cashew nuts, 2 tbsp Chopped Walnuts, 2 tbsp Tutti Frutti, ¼ Cup Mixed Dried Berries, 3-4 Figs, 4-5 Dates, Candied Orange Peel, 2-3 Apricots
- Add milk in small batches. Add ¼ Cup at a time. Then add 2 tbsp.½ Cup Milk
- You can use your hands to get the dough together.
- Chill the dough for minimum 30 mins.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven
- On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, scoop out 1 tbsp dough or use eyeball estimation to make small lemon sized cookie dough balls.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C or 350°F for 15 mins.
- When the edges start turning brown, take out of the oven.
- Keep on the counter for 1-2 mins and then using a spatula transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies are completely cool keep in an air tight container or cookie jar.
- Enjoy with hot milk, cocoa or cappuccino of your choice.
- Alternatively, you can use your stand mixer to cream butter and sugar when making a big batch. Increase the ingredients accordingly.
Do make these Fruit Cake cookies loaded with dried fruits, nuts flavored with the warm spices Ginger Powder and Cinnamon Powder. These are a crowd pleaser and will be loved by even those who are not on gluten-free diets.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!