Eggless Gelatin-free Custard recipe with fresh seasonal fruits| Learn how to make Fruit Custard
Fruit Custard is delicious quick and easy Indian dessert served chilled with lots fruits. It is basically made with custard sauce prepared from commercially available Custard Powder. This custard sauce is Eggless Gelatin-free version of the traditional custard or pudding recipes in American, British and many other European cuisines.
It is one of the famous, popular and one of the favourite pudding for most of the Indians who grow up relishing this dessert . It is served at parties, special occasions or relished just like that with weekend meals.
About the Recipe
Fruit Custard is a simple and easy recipe that gives most of us fond memories of our childhood. Those were the days when serving desserts to guests or making for special occasions was limited to Indian Traditional desserts. Gajar ka Halwa, Sooji Halwa , Rice Kheer or sweets from local mithai Wala(local traditional Sweet makers)or Chocolate and Pineapple Pastries from local bakery shop were popular desserts. Chilled Custard with loads of fruits used to be and till now it is one of the favorite when it comes to quick and easy cooking during summers.
Fruit custard a simple and easy dish that mom used to make often during summers with fresh and locally available fruits or whenever there were some guests invited for lunch/dinner.
Custard recipe without Eggs
Custard Sauce for Fruit custard is eggless made with vanilla flavored Custard Powder which is available in India. This custard powder is nothing but vanilla flavored cornstarch/cornflour(known in India). Outside India, it is available at any Indian grocery store. Any brand is good but my personal favorite is Brown and Polson.
Some quick and easy recipes with custard powder on the blog
Chocolate Pudding, Custard Trifle, Mango Falooda, Bread Pudding
Substitute for Custard Powder
Custard powder is used for thickening and flavoring the milk. It adds creaminess to the milk which is required for making the pudding. As a substitute to custard powder you can use, Cornstarch, Arrowroot or Tapioca Flour. You can also use rice flour or oats flour but the texture will be slightly different.
To flavour custard add vanilla essence/vanilla beans. You can also add orange essence, mixed fruit essence for variation in the flavours.
Fruits used in the recipe
My favourite fruits to add in custard are banana, apple, grapes, mango, strawberries, pomegranate and orange.
Use locally available fruits and do not add sour fruits or melons.
If you are adding pineapple, add the canned one(after draining the syrup). Do not add raw pineapple as the enzyme present in it curdles milk. Slightly sauté/steam or grill raw pineapple before adding.
When adding citrus fruits like Orange and Kiwi, add just before serving as the sourness of the fruits can curdle the milk. Avoid very sour oranges and kiwi.
Do not keep cut bananas refrigerated with other fruits. Cut and add just before serving as it turns brown.
Another popular variation of Fruit custard is Mango Custard. To prepare this make custard as per the recipe, cool it completely and then add mango puree. Chill it and serve with ore chopped mango pieces. Will update the detailed recipe soon.
Tips to remember before making Fruit Custard
Do not add chopped fruits to custard and keep for hrs. Custard becomes watery and taste is also affected.
When making for parties chop the fruits separately refrigerate and then add to custard before serving.
Keep the chopped fruits covered.
Add banana slices just before serving. Do not peel and slice banana before serving time.
Completely cool custard and then refrigerate till the time of serving.
When custard is cooling cover it with cling film or with a lid. Cooling ii without covering leads to a thick creamy layer formation on top which spoils the texture of the pudding if mixed.
You can sprinkle a tsp of sugar on fruits or mix 1-2 tsp of Orange Marmalade.
How to fix the creamy fruit layer
If the cream layer forms on top, try to remove it of it is not very thick. By mistake if you mix it with the custard, then you either sieve the custard in colander or use hand mixer or blender and blend to smooth mix.
How to make Eggless Gelatin free Custard
Chop fruits and refrigerate. Cover with cling film or a lid if preparing 2-3 hrs ahead of serving time.
- Keep 500ml/2.5 ml milk for boiling in any heavy bottomed pan. Let it come to boil.
- Take 1/4 cup milk in a bowl to it add 3-4 Tbsp of custard powder to it and mix.
- Add to the milk and stir it. Milk will start to thicken and this is your base custard.
- If custard coats the back of ladle then it is ready. It will take about 5mins.
- Add sugar(about 1/4 cup or as required) to it and stir nicely. Keep on stirring, take care not to burn the milk at bottom.
- Once custard thickens to desired consistency, this will take another 2 minutes. Take off the pan from flame and transfer to a serving bowl to cool. To avoid skin getting formed on it, let the custard cool a bit and then cover the bowl with a lid or cling film.
- Refrigerate to chill for a couple of hours before serving.
Assembling Custard and Fruits
- Chop fruits cover and refrigerate.
- For serving, in individual serving bowls, put few spoonful of fruits and top it with chilled custard.
Top it with some more fruits and enjoy!!
Storing the leftovers
Refrigerate the leftover (mixed with fruits)in an air tight container and finish it the next day. Plain custard without fruits stays good for at least 2-3 days.
How can I use the Custard or variations
Here are my favourite recipes which in which I use the Custard or the leftover custard to make delicious puddings
- Heavy bottom Pan
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Knife to chop fruits
- Mixing Bowls
- 2¼+¼ Cup Milk
- 3 tbsp Custard powder check notes
- ¼ Cup Sugar or as required
- Mixed fresh fruits check notes
- Chop fruits and refrigerate. Cover with cling film or a lid if preparing 2-3 hrs ahead of serving time.Mixed fresh fruits
- Keep 500ml / 2½ cup milk for boiling in any heavy bottomed pan. Let it come to boil. Keep ¼ Cup to make Custard powder slurry.2¼+¼ Cup Milk
- Take ¼ cup milk in a bowl to it add 3-4 Tbsp of custard powder to it and mix, make a lump free slurry.3 tbsp Custard powder
- Add to the boiling milk and stir it. Milk will start to thicken and this is your base custard. Take care that no lumps are formed.
- Lower flame and cook.
- When custard coats the back of ladle then it is ready. It will take about 5mins.
- Add sugar(about 1/4 cup or as required) to it and stir nicely. Keep on stirring, take care not to burn the milk at bottom.¼ Cup Sugar
- Once custard thickens to desired consistency, this will take another 2 minutes. Take off the pan from flame and transfer to a serving bowl to cool.
- To avoid skin getting formed on it, let the custard cool a bit and then cover the bowl with a lid or cling film.
- Refrigerate to chill for a couple of hours before serving.
Assemble Custard and Fruits
- Chop fruits cover and refrigerate. For serving, in individual serving bowls, put few spoonful of fruits and top it with chilled custard.
Do try this delicious chilled dessert treat if you still haven't tried it yet. You and your family will surely love it. It is a crowd pleaser and is a favorite of all age groups.
Perfect for parties an potlucks to feed big crowd and add variation to your dessert menu.
Please do share your feedback if you find this post useful. And, if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!
Ashish- Refresh Wellness
Custard is a delicious and creamy dessert that is made with milk, and sugar. It is usually thickened with cornstarch and can be flavoured with vanilla, pista, mango, and many other varieties. Custard is typically baked in a pie dish or served in a bowl with a dollop of whipped cream on top. It is a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed plain or flavoured with fruit, chocolate etc.
How to make custard at home and different types of custard: Read it- https://www.refreshyourlife.in/blog/how-to-make-delicious-creamy-and-super-easy-custard