No Gelatin, No Egg Chocolate Pudding Recipe | Learn how to make Eggless, Gelatin free, Agar Agar Free Easy Chocolate Pudding
Perfect for hot summers this chilled Chocolate Pudding is the best pudding for Chocolate lovers and vegetarians who avoid eggs and those who are allergic to eggs.
A fuss free recipe made with readily available ingredients in your pantry this one is a true delight which your kids are going to ask you again and again once they have it!!
About the recipe
Chocolate Pudding... no eggs, no gelatin/agar-agar and no chocolate. The silken, smooth, creamy pudding is a simple no fuss recipe that is so easy and quick to make under 30 mins. The only waiting time is the chilling time..
Indian Style Chocolate Pudding
Chocolate Puddings are of two types. One which is made with milk, eggs/gelatine and cocoa powder or chocolate. More popular in USA and Canada. Other is the popular baked British version. In India many people avoid eggs due to several reasons(religious or dietary reasons).
This is Indian style Chocolate pudding is popular with masses her. It contains no egg or gelatine. We make the custard by boiling milk and then adding and mixing cocoa powder and custard powder or cornstarch(cornflour as popularly known in India) and then chilling it. Pudding thickens once it is refrigerated.
It is a light dessert that you can enjoy after your meals or serve it on hot summer afternoon topped with berries and fruits. Serve it with brownie or your kids' favourite cake and see getting endless praises hugs and kisses!!
I learned this recipe from my masi( Maternal Aunt). She used to make this Chocolate Pudding for us along with her many delicacies, whenever we visited her. She is a great cook and whips up delicious meals within no time. While I learned my daily cooking and basics from my mom, she was the one who inspired me to try out new dishes and introduced me to the world of home-cooked pasta, noodles, presenting desserts in different ways and many more. She used to serve this pudding with chopped fruits, jelly and loads of chopped chocolate.
Reasons to make and enjoy this Chilled Chocolate Pudding
It is gluten-free and can be made vegan-friendly.
An ultimate and delicious dessert that is so easy and quick to make.
A crowd pleaser and you can make it ahead of your parties and get togethers.
Easy to store and serve.
Use it in many other ways or simply enjoy on it's own.
Ingredients for Eggless Chocolate Pudding
This delicious Chocolate Pudding is made with 3 basic ingredients Milk, Cocoa Powder and Vanilla flavoured Custard Powder which is used for thickening and gives it a creamy texture.
In India we get this Custard Powder which is used in making desserts, cakes and also added to cakes and cookies.
If you follow a vegan diet or have are lactose intolerant than you can use plant based milk like Almond Milk, Soy Milk in place of dairy milk.
To sweeten it I use Raw Cane Sugar. Health-wise it is better to use Raw organic sugars than the synthetic castor sugar.But you use castor sugar in the recipe.
If you live outside India, Custard Powder is available in Indian grocery stores. It is used for making Eggless Vanilla Pudding/ Fruit Custard which has been one of the favourite desserts of most of the Indian families since our grandma's generation.
I use Brown and Polson Vanilla Custard Powder, any other brand will also be good.
If you don't have custard powder, substitute it with 2 tbsp Cornstarch and 1 tsp vanilla essence.
How to make Eggless Chocolate Pudding
Detailed steps in the RECIPE CARD
Stepwise pics to make Chocolate Pudding
Chill it for a few hours and serve it with fruits, jam, chopped chocolate, nuts of your choice. Or, make a trifle, serve it with over a piece of cake or warm brownie or have it just like that. My favourite way of eating is to add berries, some mixed fruit/strawberry jam. Kids love it with loads of chopped chocolate.
Some of the other chilled desserts that you will like to checkout for your kids, backyard summer parties or potlucks.
Storing and Shelf Life
Refrigerate the pudding once it cools down completely. Cover the bowl with a lid or store in an airtight container. This is prevent the smell of other food items getting into the pudding. Stays good for 2 days.
Recipe Card for Eggless, Gelatin-free, Chocolate Pudding
Chocolate Pudding(Eggless, Gelatin-free)
- Pan for boiling milk
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 500 ml Milk or (2¼ Cup)
- 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder (¼ Cup)
- 4 tbsp Vanilla Flavored Custard Powder (¼ Cup)
- Raw Cane Sugar/Coconut Sugar as required
Garnish/Toppings( use any)
- Chopped fruits like berries
- Chopped Chocolate(Milk/White/Dark)
- Chopped roasted nuts like Almonds and Cashew Nuts
- Fruit Jelly
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan. Keep aside cold 50ml (¼Cup) of milk in a bowl.500 ml Milk
- Mix in custard powder/ cornstarch and cocoa powder in cold milk. Mix well, avoiding any dry lumps.4 tbsp Cocoa Powder, 4 tbsp Vanilla Flavored Custard Powder
- Let the milk come to boil, add in cocoa/custard powder mix. Stir continuously for a minute to avoid any lump formation. Keep mixing until it gets a thick and creamy texture.
- Add sugar and mix well, keep stirring and cook for 1-2 mins. Do not leave it unattended as it may brun at the bottom.Raw Cane Sugar/Coconut Sugar
- Switch off the gas and take away from the stovetop.
- Transfer to a bowl for cooling, keep stirring it every now and then to avoid a film forming on the top.
- When it cools down completely, cover with a cling wrap, press it to the pudding and keep it in the refrigerator to chill. Or, simply cover with a plate.This will prevent the formation of thick layer on the pudding.
- Serve it chilled topped with fruits nuts or chocolate shavings(white/milk chocolate) or whipped cream.Chopped fruits like berries, Chopped Chocolate(Milk/White/Dark), Chopped roasted nuts like Almonds and Cashew Nuts, Fruit Jelly
One of the easiest desserts to make for your parties, potlucks and special occasions. Serve in a bowl and enjoy it just like that or turn it into a gourmet dessert topped with berries/ fruits, chopped nuts and chocolate!!
For kid's party, serve it in a fun way in mini edible Chocolate bowls or cups. Kids will love it.
Whenever you make this delicious Chocolate Pudding, do give me your feedback in comments.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!