Vegan-Friendly and Gluten-free Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake recipe with Almond Flour
Soft moist and so yumm chocolate cake topped with kids favorite chocolate topping(chocolate sauce), so delish!! that it will finish off as soon as it will be served!!
"Why are you not baking any Chocolate cake for us?? The only thing you are baking these days is cookies or muffins with nuts, fruits or veggies. We want a Chocolate Cake, and just a chocolate cake, no nuts, no fruits, and yes we want some chocolate icing too!!" This is what my kids said to me this weekend when I was thinking about what to bake for my next blog post for Bake-A-Thon and Blogging Marathon where the theme is Baking Cake for Kids.
I always tell my kids what veggies or fruits I sneak or use in their desserts or treats and breads and always take a suggestion from them about what should I make for my next blog post when it comes to baking.
Well, this time they just clearly told me what they want.. and I decided to go by their choice. Already, there is one Chocolate Cake recipe on the blog Chocolate Truffle Cake, so decided to change the ingredients and make a more nutritious version of it.
So here's another Chocolate Cake from my blog...
Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake, gluten-free, sugar-free, butter-free, eggless and suitable for vegans!!
Chocolate Frosting for Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake
I frosted this cake with Chocolate Ganache made with Almond milk and Chocolate chips. I didn't have dairy-free chocolate or chips and ran out of cocoa powder also, so can't tag my ganache suitable for vegans but it is vegan friendly and a better option for those who want a light ganache not made with cream. The cake came out moist, soft with a good crumb.
It was finished within a few minutes of serving and left all three of them carving for more. I somehow took the pic of the cake with ganache and managed pic of just with a small bite of cake that was left for me. Hubby is not a fan of chocolate cake but he too indulged in this guilt-free treat and told me I should have baked a bigger cake so that they could have enjoyed it more!!
Ingredients for Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Almond Cake
Coming back to the Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake, what I used here...
- Skipped Wheat flour and All-purpose flour, used Almond flour, Almond milk instead of regular milk. I won't suggest substituting Whole Wheat in the recipe. As the same amount of flour differ by volume and you need more wheat flour in the recipe.
- Skipped butter and used olive oil. Only 2 tbsp of oil is sufficient for the cake, as almond flour already has high fat content.
- For sweetener, I used Coconut sugar and it worked perfectly with my chocolate cake and made the cake more chocolaty and nutty due to its flavor and color.
- Buttermilk made with Almond milk and apple cider vinegar was used as egg-replacer. I thought of using chia seed gel but the skipped the idea. Skipped yogurt too as I wanted a vegan cake recipe for the blog.
Other Substitutions can you can do
You can substitute Coconut sugar with brown sugar or normal castor sugar.
Soy or coconut milk can be used in case you don't have Almond Milk. Dairy milk(for non-vegan version).
Pro-tips to get the Perfect moist Cake(updated)
Please note, this cake won't rise as much as the wheat flour cake or all purpose flour cake, as it is gluten-free and we are not using any eggs in the recipe.
Use Almond Flour not Almond Meal in the recipe.
Use oven thermometer to check the baking temperature-Bake the cake at 170C, keep an oven thermometer to check the temperature. Sometimes the ovens act weird and do not preheat at the exact temperature. So if you find the cake remained raw or it was bubbling and the batter overflowed, it can be due the not proper oven temperature. Once you start using oven thermometer you will see the difference in your bakes.
Also measure your ingredients very accurately for the perfect results.
Almond Flour has high fat content, baking at high temperature results in leaching out oil from the batter. So keep the temperature to 160° C-170 °C or 320°F-340°F.
The batter should not be thin or ribbon like consistency like the wheat flour or All purpose flour based cakes. It should be thick. Add buttermilk little by little, you will not need more than 1/4 cup of buttermilk.
Let's see how I made this moist, nutty, fudgy chocolate cake and the light ganache!!
Step-wise pics to prepare cake
Check my Chai Spiced Whole Wheat Apple Cake(with Whole Wheat FLour) where I have used Chia gel as egg-replacer.
Love Chocolate Cakes/Muffins-- Check this Eggless Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cake for Christmas, Double Chocolate Banana Bread, Chocolate Mawa Thandai Muffins, Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Bread and Muffins
Recipe Card for Fudgy Chocolate Almond Cake
Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Almond Essence optional
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
To make Buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
For Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk
- 3/4 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips/Chocolate Use dairy-free chocolate for vegan option.
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Prepare buttermilk. Add apple cider vinegar to milk and let it stand for a few minutes.1/4 Cup Almond Milk, 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- In a bowl sift together almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.1 Cup Almond Flour, 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder, 1/4 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Baking Powder, ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- In a bowl, mix coconut sugar and olive oil and almond essence and vanilla essence.1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar, 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence, 1 Tsp Almond Essence, 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Add the almond flour mix and gradually add the buttermilk and lightly fold the batter.
- Transfer batter to a 6"round cake pan lined with butter paper, and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, check for doneness using a toothpick, there should be crumbs on the toothpick. Don't wait to come out clean, as it continues to bake even when out of oven.
- Cool on wire rack. The cake is very soft, take care it doesn't break.
- Take milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it to 1 min, pausing midway then again heating.1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Add the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate to milk. Let it sit in milk for a minute.3/4 Cup Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips/Chocolate
- Add vanilla essence and mix it vigorously to mix the chocolate well in milk. Beat it for 2-3 minutes. Once it cools, keep in refrigerator to set,. If you want pourable ganache, keep it at room temperature.1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- Pour the ganache over the cake and spread with the help of a spatula. Decorate the cake with some strawberry slices or the garnish of your choice.
- Keep cake in the refrigerator for few minutes before serving. Whenever ready to eat, just slice and enjoy the treat!!
- This recipe gives you a 6" cake (diameter) in a round cake tin. You can adjust the ingredients if you want a bigger cake, for an 8" (diameter) round cake, double the ingredients.
- The cake won't rise much as it is gluten-free and no eggs are used.
- Cake has very soft and delicate texture. Refrigerate it before slicing it.
- Let the cake cool down completely before frosting it.
- Non-vegans can use dairy milk in the recipe.
- Cake can be decorated with any frosting. whipped cream tastes awesome just like the Black Forest Cake..
- Cake tastes equally delicious even without any frosting.
The light and nutty ganache, beautifully covered the cake. I decorated the cake with some strawberry slices to add some color to the pics. It was a delicious guilt-free treat for all of us!!
Bake this Fudgy Almond Chocolate cake and cheer up your kids and loved ones. This cake tastes equally delicious without ganache also. Soft, moist and Crumbly and so chocolaty!!
Other Eggless Cakes/Breads and Muffins on the blog.. Double Chocolate Banana Bread, Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread, Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Choco chips Bread, Chocolate Mawa Thandai Muffins and Thandai Flavoured Mawa Mini Bundts
Taking this fudgy eggless, gluten-free cake to Dec'18 Bake-A-Thon Day 4 .
Also sharing at Blogging Marathon for Week 2 Day 1 where the theme for this week in Kid's delight is Make them Cakes.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#95. You can read about#95 Blogging Marathon in detail and who all are participating in it and the various categories.. here.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!