Eggless Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread | Healthy Eggless Chocolate Nut Bread Recipe with Whole Wheat with Zucchini and Carrot
Here is a delicious Whole Wheat Eggless quick bread or loaf. It is loaded with the goodness of zucchini and carrot and ohhh so chocolaty with loads of pecans/walnuts for the crunch.
I bake quick breads or muffins quite often as these need less oil or butter, are packed with nutrients(fruits veggies), nuts or dried fruits. These are best for quick breakfast with a glass of milk or kids lunch boxes.
Zucchini and Carrot chocolate bread is a good way to include zucchini to fussy kids. Veggies like Spinach, Zucchini, Kale, Carrots can be sneaked in breads and muffins. It doesn't have an effect on the taste. My kids love this so much and a little secret shhh.. they still don't know that I add veggies to this bread !!?
Ingredients for Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread
Flour- Wholemeal or Whole Wheat Flour. You can also use All Purpose Flour(APF). Always prefer healthy fibrous flours especially when baking for your kids. I use Ashirwad or Pillsbury Whole Wheat Atta for all my baking. My readers in USA and other countries can order these online or Bob's Red Mill Whole Wheat Flour is good. Or you can use any good quality Whole Wheat/Wholemeal flour.
Sweetener- For the recipe I have used raw cane sugar. I also use other raw sugars like jaggery powder, coconut/palm sugar in baking. We get the same texture cakes and muffins when baked with raw cane sugar. Coconut and Palm sugar though may give a bit molasses like after taste. I mostly prefer coconut/palm sugar in chocolate based cakes and muffins. Adding jaggery powder is also a good choice if your want to bake with raw sugars. I prefer jaggery powder to make cookies.
Egg Substitutes- For egg free baking I have used sour cream and buttermilk in the recipe. You can use thick plain yogurt. Flax egg /Chia egg made with powdered flax or chia seeds can also be used in the recipe. Yogurt/Sour Cream also adds a nice soft melt in mouth texture to this whole wheat bread.
Fat- Olive adds a light moist texture to cake here. Any other flavorless oil is also fine in the recipe. If you want buttery taste in your bread you can add melted butter. Since it a quick bread, I have not used creaming method and light olive oil give me the perfect texture for this Zucchini and Carrot Nut Bread. Please do not use Extra Virgin Olive Oil, unless you want a strong olive taste in the cake. It is best to be used in yeast breads like Focaccia .
Carrot and Zucchini- Add finely grated carrot and zucchini. Squeeze out water from the veggies before adding to batter, as it make leave more water and spoils the texture of bread. Bread may take more time to bake or remain under baked.
Leavening Agents- Baking Powder and Baking Soda.
Others- Vanilla Essence, Salt
Buttermilk is not Chaas(many Indian readers do get confused between chaas and buttermilk used in baking). Make buttermilk with milk and apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar. Please see recipe card.
After 45 minutes, check for the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean bread is done. If there is batter sticking to it and top seems to be done, cover the pan with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
Few more bakes with veggies and fruits sneaked
Double Berry Breakfast Muffins
Pineapple Upside Down Cake(with eggs)
Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Choco Chips Bread
How long can I store or Can I freeze the Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread
This bread stays good for about a week in refrigerator, and you can freeze it for about a month.
To freeze bread, cut in slices and store slices separated by parchment paper in a freezer friendly air-tight container or zip lock bag.
Thaw in refrigerator before using it.
Can we make Zucchini and Carrot Muffins with the same batter
You can also bake Muffins with the same batter. The same amount of batter gives around 12 muffins of the regular size. Bake for about 20-25 mins at 180ºC or 350ºF in preheated oven.
Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread
- Oven/OTG/Microwave Convection Oven
- 1 Carrot(Medium Size)
- 1 Zucchini (Medium Size)
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Raw Cane Sugar or castor sugar, see recipe for details
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½-1 Cup Finely chopped nuts(walnuts/pecan)
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream/Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- 100 ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180° C.
- Grate carrot and zucchini. Squeeze extra water from veggies and keep aside. It should be about 1 cup to ¾ Cup.
- Sieve together whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Chop the nuts(pecans and walnuts) finely.
- Prepare buttermilk. Add apple cider vinegar in milk and keep aside. Do not stir it.
- Beat oil and sugar in a bowl, till sugar dissolves.
- Add vanilla essence, sour cream and mix well.
- Add grated carrots and zucchini.
- Add sieved flour along with buttermilk and fold the batter. Don't overmix it. Also, don't add all the buttermilk, just the right amount to get a thick lumpy batter as carrots and zucchini will leave water will baking.
- Fold in half of the chopped nuts.
- Transfer the batter to a well greased and dusted loaf pan. Top with the remaining chopped nuts.I have used 9"X 5" loaf pan (about 3 " tall).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in a preheated oven at 350°F or 180°C.
- After 45 minutes, check for the doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean bread is done. If there is batter sticking to it and top seems to be done, cover the pan with an aluminum foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Once done, take out of the oven, leave on the counter for 5 minutes and then carefully transfer the bread on wire rack to cool.
- Cut bread when it completely cools down.
- Store in an airtight container.
To bake in OTG
- Preheat oven at 180°C with both rods and fan on, for uniform baking.
- Bake for about 50-60 mins.
To bake in Microwave Convection Oven
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Bake for 60 mins, check after 50 mins, if top starts to brown, cover with aluminium foil and bake for another 10-15 mins. It may take extra 10 mins to bake bread in microwave convection oven.
Stepwise pics to make Zucchini and Carrot Chocolate Nut Bread
Let the bread cool completely. Don't be in a rush to cut the warm bread!! I know the aroma of baked bread will make you lose out all the patience as everybody wants to have a piece of it as soon as it is out of the oven!!
Enjoy the bread with a cup of hot chocolate, coffee. Kids will love it with some chocolate fudge topping. My kids love it this way!!
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!
Super delicious and scrumptious definitely a must try!
Thank you Radhika for trying out the recipe and for your feedback!!!
Hem lata srivastava
Egglesss Zucchini and carrot both are healthy veggies and you make it with wheat flour which is more healthier.
Such a delicious looking zucchini and carrot chocolate nut bread. I recently baked a zucchini bread but like your idea of adding carrots and cocoa powder. Quick breads with veggies turn out so soft.
Super duper kitchen
The texture of the cake is so perfect and I always love to bake with wheat flour. ThoughI have baked carrot cake, this chocolate flavour one is different and sounds interesting. Perfect tea time cake.
Thanks Niranja.. will love to checkout your version of carrot cake too.
Did you use homemade sour cream?
No Laxmi, I used store bought. If you don’t have sour cream you can substitute it with thick yogurt/curd
Thanks Swati for sharing this wonderful recepie. Was waiting for such recepie where I can feed my kids something healthy and tasty too . I am sure they will love it.