The best Eggless Brownie Recipe | Learn how to make Crusty Eggless Brownies with Yogurt and without any eggs
Delicious Gooey Rich Brownies with crust made with Whole Wheat flour. A perfect chocolatey dessert for chocolate lovers.
Here is another brownie recipe from the blog, for those who want to bake without eggs. These are not dairy-free as I have used butter and yogurt as egg replacer. You can add oil also, butter we love buttery brownies and it adds so much of richness to these eggless brownies.
It's a perfect fudgy Brownie recipe without eggs, so easy and quick, with an addictive intense flavour. The recipe is especially for those who avoid eggs in diet, are allergic to eggs.
Baking with eggs is so easy, eggs do wonders to baked goodies. But when it comes to baking without eggs, though there are lot egg replacers available, it many times it gives us sleepless nights especially when it is about the bakes and desserts that need egg as an essential ingredient.
When I started my Home Baking Business, a lot of clients preferred eggless bakes. For the ones who liked fudgy eggless brownies, this recipe worked the best.
Yogurt as Egg Replacer
Yogurt/Curd is used as egg- replacer and gives a moist brownie with a crust. Yoghurt or curd is one of the best egg replacers and readily available that I use it in most of my eggless bakes like cakes and cookies. It also does wonders for your bread where you don't want to use yeast (No Yeast Bread).
Ingredients for Eggless Brownies
Flour- Whole Wheat flour is a more nutritious choice as compared to all purpose flour. You can use either or a mix of both. Whole Wheat Flour Brownies are more dense then made with All Purpose flour.
You can add 2 tbsp of Cornstarch/Cornflour for light airy texture. I use Ashirwaad Multigrain Atta for baking. If you prefer Whole Wheat Flour for baking then do not use the flour which has too much barn. The texture will be very dense.
Baking Chocolate/Chips- If you are not able to get baking chocolate, you can use any baking dark chocolate chips or good quality chocolate like Cadbury or Amul. Cadbury's Bourneville 70% (for Indian Readers) of perfect to use for making brownies.
Butter- I like to make brownies with butter. You can substitute half the amount of butter with olive oil or use only oil in the recipe(that will more of chewy brownie). If using unsalted butter add ¼ tsp of salt.
Yogurt- Add yogurt as egg replacer, it makes the brownie moist and binds the batter. Vegans or those with lactose intolerance can use cashew yogurt or any plant based yogurt.
Sweetener- I use organic raw cane sugar or jaggery powder in baking. You can also use castor sugar, brown sugar or coconut palm sugar. Always prefer using raw sugars in baking due to the obvious health reasons. There are many good options available in market these days.
Others- Vanilla Essence, more Chocolate chips/chopped chocolate or nuts to add in batter.
Updated the recipe ingredient with healthy and nutritious options..
Few pointers that will help you to get a perfect brownie.
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Melt Chocolate and butter on double boiler, as microwaving can overheat the butter, and at times in the final bake, oil separates.
- Use thick yoghurt or hung curd, don't use very sour or watery yogurt/curd. Greek yogurt can be used.
- Do not overbeat the batter just mix everything with light hands. Batter should be thick not like cake batter( ribbon like consistency).
- Cut brownies into pieces when completely cool. Warm brownies are difficult to handle (too soft) and may crumble. If you feel these are still too soft, leave for another 10-15 minutes, these will set. Or, refrigerate for a couple of hrs and then cut.
- If at first attempt you are not able to get a perfect bake, look for the reasons, maybe like oven temperature, the ingredients like yogurt are at room temperature or not.
- Cover the pan with foil if the center is undone and the top and sides are baked.
How do I know my (Fudgy) Brownies are done
Unbaked brownies are not good to consume as these are not palatable and also may upset stomach due to raw flour. Two ways to check for doneness:
- Physical appearance- When the brownies are done you will see some cracks on top and it will start to pull away from the corners.
- Toothpick test- For fudgy and gooey brownies, a tooth pick inserted in the center will come out with moist crumbs. Tooth pick with batter shows more time needed to bake.
Other Brownie Recipes from the blog
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- ¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour or All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Baking Chocolate/Chips(70%-50%) /about 170g
- ¼ Cup Butter 4 tbsp
- ½ Cup Raw Cane Sugar or Castor sugar
- ¼ Cup Greek Yoghurt / Thick Curd
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Chopped Walnuts or Pecans optional
- Preheat oven at 350°F /180°C.
- Sieve together the dry ingredients. Also, add ¼ tsp salt, if using unsalted butter.¾ cup Whole Wheat Flour, 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- Melt together butter and chocolate or chocolate chips. Keep aside to cool.1 Cup Baking Chocolate/Chips(70%-50%), ¼ Cup Butter
- When the mix. is slightly warm, add and mix sugar, yogurt and vanilla essence. Beat it nicely to get a smooth, silky mix.½ Cup Raw Cane Sugar, ¼ Cup Greek Yoghurt / Thick Curd, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Do not overbeat the batter, just mix everything. Also, do not add yogurt to hot chocolate butter mix.
- Fold in flour and lightly dusted nuts (optional). Transfer to a pan and spread the batter evenly for a uniform bake. I skipped the nuts and kept it simple brownies this time.Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- You can top the batter with more chopped nuts or Choco-chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 340°F or 170°C, in a preheated oven, till the batter leaves the sides of the pan and tooth pick inserted in center, comes out with moist crumbs. I baked in an borosil (oven safe glass pan) for 30 mins.
- Once done check for the doneness of the brownies, by slightly shaking the pan, if it has wiggly batter in the middle, bake for another 5-10 minutes, and cover with a foil if the seems baked with a crust.
- Once done, let it cool completely. Cut into desired pieces and enjoy your treat!!
Have it with a cup of coffee, hot chocolate or even a glass of milk. For a gourmet treat, top the warm brownie with vanilla ice cream drizzled with hot chocolate sauce and some more nuts!!
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!