Candied Orange Peel Recipe | How to make Candied Orange Peel to add in cakes and desserts or to have it like a candy
Homemade Candied Orange Peel is so easy and much better than the store bought ones. It may seem to be a tedious task but you won't believe how easy it is to make it at home.
Winters are the time when we all love to gorge on the juicy season fresh oranges. Instead of throwing away that peel you can use it to make the Candied Orange peel and store it for months to add in your desserts, cookies and cakes. Candied Orange peel is even added to the Zarda Pulao. It adds a citrusy tone to the dishes.
About the recipe
Orange Peels are the sugar coated treats which can be easily made at home. It is a favorite among kids.
And why only Oranges you can use any citrus fruits(lemons, lime, permission) to make candied peel.
You can add the peels not only to various dishes but you can also have it just like a candy. Dip it in chocolate and mix it with trail mix.
Candied peels made at home at a lot better than the store bought ones as we know how much sugar is going in.
If you make it with Organic oranges than nothing like it!
I use raw cane sugar so in a way it a better inexpensive deal than the ones bought from stores which are coated with refined sugar.
Ingredients for Candied Orange Peel
Oranges- To make Candied Peel at home choose oranges with bright skin , without any spots or black marks. Navel Oranges are the best to use for making the candied peel. Prefer buying organically grown oranges.
Sugar- I have used raw can sugar(to make the syrup and then to roll the peels), you can also use castor sugar. Other raw sugars like coconut palm sugar can also be used but the color of the candied peels will be different.
How to make Candied Orange Peel at Home
To make the candied orange peel, peel oranges in a way that the white pith under the skin is not peeled off. It is comes out with the peel, then remove it using a knife. The white pith makes the peel taste bitter.
Cut orange form top an bottom. Then peel carefully into quarters.
Once the white pith is removed, cut the peels into thin strips.
To remove the bitterness form the peels,, we first boil the peels in plain water. Boil it 1-2 times.
Then finally we boil in sugar syrup till the syrup starts to thicken and the peels look transparent.
Strain the syrup and spread the peels in a cooling rack or parchment paper to dry. Roll the peels in castor or fine sugar.
Leave it to dry overnight or even a day.
Candied peels can be stored for a month at room temperature and for a year in freeze. Pack these in a zip lock bag or an air tight container and store. Use as and when required.
More recipes with Orange from the blog--
Fresh Fruit Salad with Orange Dressing, Orange Marmalade
Add these Candied Peels to the Soaked Dried Fruit Mix for Christmas Fruit Cake
Candied Orange Peel
- 2 Oranges(Navel choose Organic
- 1 Cup Raw Cane Sugar Castor Sugar/
- 2 Cups Water
- Wash the oranges nicely.
- Cut of the top and bottom part(small portion).
- Peel the oranges carefully. Score the peel into quarters, taking care not to cut through the pulp and white pith.
- If the pith comes out with peel, remove/scrap off with the knife.
- Cut into thin slices.
- Heat 2 cups water in a saucepan, add peels and boil for 10 mins.
- Sieve the water and discard it.
- Take fresh water in saucepan add 2 cups water again, add sugar mix and keep it to boil.
- Add the balanced peels and cook for about 40 mins on low flame.
- Do not stir as it will lead to sugar crystallization.
- Boil till the peels start getting transparent /glossy.
- Once done, sieve the syrup and store in a bottle/jar.
- Spread the peels on a parchment paper.
- Roll in 2 tbsp of castor sugar or use very fine sugar.
- Spread evenly and let it dry. It may take 12- 24 hrs to dry depending on the weather conditions at your place.
- Store in an air tight container/zip lock bag.
- You can freeze and use it over a year.
- Use as required in cakes, desserts, cookies, tarts and pies.
- Or, enjoy just like that as candy.
Do try making these candied peels once instead of throwing away and you will never want to go back to the store bought ones.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!
Leave a Reply