Last Updated on
Flavor-packed Homemade Basil Pesto is anytime better than the store-bought variety. Pesto means “to pound”, originated in Italy where traditionally pesto is made handmade using a mortar and pestle. But you can make it conveniently in a food processor or chopper with just 5 ingredients. I love both basil and sun-dried pesto, though initially, I used store-bought pesto, now I try to make fresh basil pesto at home. With so many pesto recipes online, I liked one vegan pesto recipe that used cashew nuts and used nutritional yeast, though till now I have not used it for making pesto or in any other recipes, I reduced the quantity of parmesan as cashews add enough creaminess to the pesto. A good quality extra virgin olive oil is a must add-in to the pesto. I have added cashew nuts instead of pine nuts/walnuts which are added to the traditional pesto. I love using pesto on my breads, sandwiches or pizza. Basil Pesto spaghetti is one of my favourite pasta dishes, bursting with flavors.
Let’s quickly get to the recipe of Homemade Basil Pesto recipe
Homemade Basil Pesto
- 1 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- Cup Cashew Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Green Chillies or 1/2 tsp Chilli flakes(optional)
- 2-3 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Salt as per taste
- Add basil leaves, green chilli, garlic cloves, parmesan cheese and cashew nuts in a chopper or food processor and blend the ingredients. Keep the texture as required. I like to coarse pesto.
- Add olive oil and blend for few more seconds, add salt as per taste.
- Store pesto in an air-tight container. Stores well for a week or up to 10 days in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for few more day. Freeze in ice-cubes and then transfer to the ziplock bag bags. USe as required in soups, pasta or pizza and salads.
Do try this Basil Pesto recipe and use it in your soups, salads and pizza. I made this Basil Pesto Bread a variation of Masala bread recipe. Get creative and use in pizza base doughs or burger bun recipe.
Do try this easy Indian Masala Macaroni recipe, and give let me know how you liked it!! I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Join me in my food trails by following the blog and on my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.