Besan Chilla are spiced chickpea flour crepes from Indian Cuisine
These are known as Chilla in North India and in some other Indian states known by the name of Pudla. One of the popular breakfast or evening snack item that is relished with green chutney or tomato sauce. these are gluten-free and vegan and are also popularly referred as the Vegan Omelette by many!!
Wholesome, easy and quick to make besan chilla are one the best option for kids lunchbox. Though these taste best when fresh and warm but kids love to take these for school lunch. These are also very good breakfast option for those suffering from diabetes and high cholesterol problems. Trying to lose weight , besan chilla is one of the best option for a filling breakfast or light dinner.
Here I bring you the basic recipe for besan chilla where I add only fresh coriander/cilantro/fenugreek leaves and finely chopped onions with coriander powder. Will update more versions gradually.
How to make Besan Chilla..
Mixed flour or besan with grated or very finely chopped vegetables with spices like coriander powder, fennel powder, red chilli powder, add water and make batter . The batter is cooked on griddle just like pancakes or crepes.
The thickness of Chilla depends on one’s preference, many like it thin like crepes and some like these thick just like pancakes.
I like to add vegetables like fresh cilantro, fenugreek leaves, spinach leaves, grated carrots, beetroot, zucchini and very finely chopped onions as per the availability. You can also add very finely chopped tomatoes and broccoli . Prefer adding grated vegetables in the batter if you want thin chilla as it is easy to spread the batter then with chopped vegetables.
Here in the recipe I have added fresh fenugreek leaves, finely chopped onions and green chillies. Adding green chillies is optional, skip if making for kids.
Let’s directly come to recipe and see how I make these..
- 1 Cup Chickpea Flour/Besan
- 1/4 Cup Finely chopped Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 1 Finely chopped Green Chilli(optional)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Caraway Seeds/Ajwain
- Salt to taste
- 1 Cup Water to make batter(adjust as required)
- Ghee/Oil to make Chilla
- In a bowl a add chickpea flour, fenugreek leaves, onions, spice powder, salt and green chilies (if adding).
- Mix everything well.
- Add water to make batter. Slowly mix everything to avoid forming lumps. If lumps form break with fingers,
- Mix wil for 2-3 minutes and then keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat a girdle, let it become hot, add a tsp of oil, spread the batter just like for dosa/crepe or pancake.
- Cook till both sides are light brown and well cooked. Apply gee/oil when required.
- Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup..
Make these chillas for weekend breakfast or light dinner and relish with chutney and a cup of chai!! Kids love to have these with tomato ketchup. Serve them with hot chocolate, milkshake or fresh fruit juice.
Also linking to Angie’s Fiesta Friday #278
Do make these and let me know your feedback.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won’t spam your mailbox 🙂.