Homemade Best Sauce recipe for Pasta and Pizza, with fresh tomatoes and mixed herbs, quick pressure cooker(Instant Pot) recipe
Stepwise Video Recipe included
Did you know that making Sauces for Pizza and Pasta is just a matter of few minutes. With fresh tomatoes/canned diced you can make delicious and flavorful Sauce for your Pizza and Pasta right in your home.
No more buying store bought jars.. Trust me it is better than the store bought ones. No preservatives no color additives!! Fresh and Homemade!!
And making this Tomato Sauce is such a breeze, especially if you cook it in your pressure cooker(Instant Pot or Stove-top). It takes only 5 mins(cooking time) in Instant Pot and 2 whistles in Indian Style stove-top Pressure cooker.
The tomato Sauce for Pasta and Pizza is Vegan friendly and Gluten-free.
What is Marinara Sauce
Marinara Sauce is Italian Sauce made with fresh tomatoes, garlic and herbs like basil, oregano. Though it has a lot of variations where you can add olives, anchovies and salted capers to it.
Mainly used in making Pasta, Pizza, can be used in soups.
Homemade Marinara Sauce is an easy super and is always a better and healthy option than the store-bought sauce as it is free of preservatives.
A lot of recipes for Marinara sauce are available online, initially I started with the recipe from NY Times but now I have adapted the recipe as my preferences. I can't say that it an authentic Marinara Sauce recipe, but yes, it TASTES AWESOME and works best for both Pasta and Pizza.
You can easily substitute the ingredients or herbs used.
Make a big batch and store in the freezer.
Dried basil/oregano or many times used the Italian seasoning. If you get Basil leaves then feel free to add. You can also use thyme if you like its sharp flavor.
I add a red bell pepper also to it. Red Bell Pepper adds on the flavor and cuts on the sharp acidic taste of Tomatoes.
Another option is adding 2-3 carrots to it. Adding carrots won't change the taste. It adds on to the nutritional value. Even butternut squash or pumpkin can also be added for a more rich and creamy texture.
For sweetener you can use your regular sugar or any other organic raw sugar.
It stays good for 3 months in freezer, though it finishes up before that.
Let's see how to make Homemade Marinara Sauce for Pasta and Pizza
You can make a big batch of the recipe or make a small batch as required. Adjust the ingredients as per your preference.
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Instant Pot/Indian Stove Top Pressure Cooker
- 2 lb Tomatoes 1 kg
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
- 6-7 Garlic Cloves
- Ginger small piece
- 1 Red Bell Pepper(medium) optional
- 2 tbsp Mixed Herbs/Oregano/Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Flakes/Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Sugar/Sweetener
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Plant based oil
- Wash tomatoes nicely in running water.
- Chop roughly.
- Plugin the Instant Pot, Switch on the saute mode.
- When the display shows HOT , add oil followed by finely chopped ginger and garlic.
- Once raw smell of garlic goes away or it starts turning light brown, add finely chopped onions.
- Saute till light pink.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and red bell pepper.
- Add herbs, black pepper powder, sweetener and salt.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode, put on the lid and then turn on the PRESSURE COOK MODE.
- Set the TIMER for 5 minutes,
- Once the timer goes OFF, do the Quick Pressure Release , open the lid and check.
- If there is lot of liquid from tomatoes then Switch on SAUTE Mode again and cook for till you get chunky mix.
- You can keep the sauce Chunky or blend it Smooth with Hand Blender or in blender.
Stove-Top Pressure Cooker Method
- Proceed with all the above steps till adding salt, sugar. Close the lid and cook till 2 whistles.
- Use hand blender or blender to make chunky or smooth sauce.
- Cool it completely and store in sterilized glass jars/bottles.
- Refrigerate and use within 10 days,
- You can freeze it for about 2-3 months in small batches. Thaw and use as required.
Do try make this refreshing Marinara Sauce with the goodness of fresh tomatoes.
Use it for Pizza, different kinds of Pasta, as a dip for garlic bread or for your Mexican flavored fried rice. Add up in your soups or in Indian curries for a nice and different flavor.
Whenever you make it do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic of on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!