Kala Chane Masala Curry or Black Chickpea curry recipe in spicy onion tomato gravy|Learn how to make Kale Chane with Stove-top and Instant Pot Methods.
Kale Chane Masala curry is an everyday curry made with Black Chickpeas that is relished with rice or rotis/chapatis. It is vegan-friendly and gluten-free.
Kale Chane or Black chickpeas are one of the richest sources of protein and iron. These have a very high glycemic index and rich in fibers. For vegetarians these are one of the richest sources of proteins and are recommended for diabetics, people with high cholesterol and weight watchers.
How to use Kale Chane
Kale chane are mainly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines. Curries, dry sauteed chane in Indian spices prepared during the auspicious occasion of Navratri festival. Add in salads(boiled or sprouted) or make this tangy and spicy yogurt based curry Chatpate Kale Chane popular as Jaisalmeri Chane. Kala Chana Googhnai, is another popular dish, a dry preparation, from the northern states of India, is made in tomato and spices.
Black Chickpeas are dense in texture and take more time to cook than garbanzo beans. Like Chickpeas soak black chickpeas for at least 4-6 hrs or overnight. Then pressure cook and use as required.
A test to check whether legumes are cooked or not is to press the cooked pea between fingers. It should not be grainy.
How to cook Black Chickpeas(Kale Chane)
The curry can be made in Stove-top pressure cooker or Instant pot. In open pot it takes hours to cook so avoid cooking in it.
How to boil Kala Chana in Instant Pot..
You can boil Kala Chana in Instant Pot and then use it in salads, pulao or curry.
Wash and soak Black Chickpeas overnight for 5-6 hrs in sufficient water.
Discard water in which the black chickpeas are soaked.
To boil black chickpeas in pressure cooker stove-top or Instant Pot, add chana and water it should be above 2-3" above the level of black chickpeas.
Let it boil. Discard the froth that gathers at the top. Make Masala or use pre-prepared Bhuna Masala.
I also like to add whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, black pepper and black cardamom. Whole spices add flavor to curry and is optional.
Cooking Chana Curry with Bhuna Masala
The detailed process of making Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot is explained in Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot. Please see recipe card for detailed method.
Add Bhuna Masala to inner pot, switch Instant pot to SAUTE mode, cook masala, add required spices and add kala chana/black chickpeas. Add water as required.
Cancel the Saute Mode, seal the lid and cook kala chana on Pressure Cook Mode for 20-25 minutes.
Recipe Card for Kala Chana Masala Curry in Instant Pot
Kale Chane Curry in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot/Nutri Pot
- 2 Cups Raw Kale Chane/Black Chickpeas
To make Bhuna Masala for Kale Chane
- 2 Onions(Medium)
- 3-4 Tomatoes(Medium)
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 1-2 Green Chillies optional
- 4-5 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder as per spice tolerance
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1-2 tsp Chana Masala optional
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- 1 Black Cardamom
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
When using pre-made Bhuna Masala
- 1 Cup Bhuna Masala
- Wash and soak black Chickpeas for 5-6 hrs, in enough water.
- Grind onions, ginger , garlic and green chilli and make a paste. Take out and keep aside.
- Puree tomatoes.
- Drain the water from soaked black chickpeas.
- Switch on the Instant pot on SAUTE MODE for 10 min., make sure the inner pot is dry.
- Once the display shows hot, add oil.
- Add whole spices if using, and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add onion paste and cook it till it turns light brown. Keep scraping the masala that sticks to bottom, as it can burn the masala.
- Add tomato paste and cook till it masala starts turning in paste like consistency or water starts drying.
- Add the dry spice powders and mix well. Add 1-2 tbsp of water of the masala is too dry.
- Cancel the SAUTE MODE, drain water from chane and add to Instant pot.
- Add salt as per taste and water as required 2-3" above the level of chane.
- Cover the lid and set the PRESSURE COOK MODE(High) on for 20-25 minutes.
- Once the time goes off, after 2-3 minutes, do the Quick Pressure Release(QPR) and open the lid.
- Check for the doneness of chane and adjust the consistency of water if required.
- Garnish Chane Curry with finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice of your choice.
With pre-prepared Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot
- Drain water from soaked chana.
- Switch on the SAUTE Mode of Instant Pot, for 10 minutes.When the display shows hot, add whole spices.
- Then add bhuna Masala. Saute for a minute, add powdered spices and cook masala another minute.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode, add soaked chana and salt to taste.
- Add 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of Kala Chana. Cover the lid, set PRESSURE COOK Mode on for 25 minutes.
- When timer goes off, wait for 5 mins., do the QPR(Quick Pressure Release), open the lid, mash and mix few chane with ladle.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro/coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatis.
Preparing Kala Chana in Stove -top Pressure Cooker
In India we boil or cook most of the legumes in in pressure cooker.
To make Kala Chana curry prepare bhuna masala with onion, tomatoes, ginger and garlic (optional). One chickpeas are boiled, add masala to boiled chickpeas and then again pressure cook for another 10 minutes.
How to boil Kale Chane in Stove-top Pressure cooker, refer to Kale Chane for Ashtami Prasad
Recipe Card for Kala Chana Masala Curry on Stove top Pressure Cooker
Kala Chana/Black Chickpea Masala Curry in Stove-top Pressure Cooker
- Pressure Cooker Indian Style
- Pan to cook Bhuna Masala
- Drain the water from soaked black chickpeas.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker and add water 2-3" above the level of chickpeas.
- Switch on the gas on high,let the chane boil.Once the froth starts gathering on top, remove it with ladle. Add the whole spices if using.
- Add salt as per taste, and close the lid. Let the chane boil on high flame for a while after the first whistle, lower the flame and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the masala, for that in a pan, add oil, once the oil is hot enough, add cumin seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add onion paste. Saute and cook till it turns light brown in color and the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomato puree and cook till the masala gets a paste like consistency.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and chana masala.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes. If the masala starts getting dry, add 1-2 tbsp of water so that it doesn't burn at the bottom of pan.
- Once Chane are cooked, pressure goes off, open the lid and add masala to boiled chane.
- Switch on the flame and cook for another 5-10 minutes or you can close the lid and cook till 1-2 whistles.
- When making with Bhuna Masala,boil chane first as mentioned above, add bhuna masala directly with chana masala and garam masala in boiled chane, mix well and pressure cook for another 5-10 minutes.
What goes best with Kale Chane Curry
Steamed Rice or Jeera Rice go best with curried Kale Chane. Chapatis or paranthas and kulchas too go well with it.
Do try this spicy curry for everyday lunch or even for your parties for main course. Spice level in curry can be adjusted as per your preference.
Say Hello!!and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest and Instagram. Whenever you make this, do post on my FB page or tag me on Instagram. Pin the recipes for later use.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button and subscribe to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones. I promise won't spam your mailbox ?.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!
Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
This Kala Chana Masala Curry looks so appetizing swaty ! The tomato onion gravy is looking fabulous and with paratha this curry is best for me. The instant pot method seems super easy and quick .
Thanks Sasmita!! glad you liked the recipe!!
Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
I buy and use kala channa more often than the regular, just beacuse thats what i am more used to. I am so glad to see this recipe. It is new and perfect for me to try.
Thanks Seema, do try this one!!
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
I have always made Gujarati style kala chana curry, by looking at your recipe, I am so tempted to make this version too which is I north Indian style. fabulous share.
thanks Jagruti!! do try this version too!!
I love black chana and this instant pot version looks easy and ideal to make anytime. It pairs well with chapati or jeera rice too.
Definitely one of my favourite chana dishes. I'm also on an insta pot spree these days...I'm just loving it!! And what a coincidence, I made this just yesterday!! This nutritious protein packed curry will pair perfecty with roti or rice.
Kale Chane Masala curry looks so appetising. Your version with spicy tomato onion gravy is looking fabulous. Moreover when made in an instant pot, it is much easier.
This will be perfect with roti or rice.
I love kala chana more than any bean and this curry is so delicious. This will be perfect with rice and roti and such a perfect blend of spices. Such a nutritious recipe loaded wit protein.
Kala chana is one of my favorite legumes and your version in this spicy curry sounds soooo delicious. Instant pot makes these curries so easy to make. I'm pinning the recipe to try out soon.
I usually make kala chana along with Tuvar ni dal, but haven't made them with onion and garlic. Would love to try this recipe out and enjoy it with some rice. Love the presentation.
Beautiful curry dear! I have never used kala chana to make masala curry but just some simple south Indian sundal like curry or in Konkani style coconut masala. I have to make this soon for a different variation! Awesome share dear <3
One of my favourite chana dishes. Given a choice I will prefer kale chanae to kabuli chana. I love the way you have made and presented the chana.
This is a very delicious dish and a saviour when we are confused what to make for the next meal! I used to prepare in a similar way... Not made since ages though!
The Kale chane look amazing Swati and so does your presentation.I love the deep taste of kale chaney and will make this curry soon.