Easy Kesar Pista Burfi recipe for festivals | Learn how to make Kesar Pista Burfi for festivals with Milk Powder, Saffron and Pistachio
Special, soft, melt in mouth Kesar Pista Burfi recipe flavoured with Saffron and Cardamom, now make at home for your loved ones!
Celebrations and sweets go hand in hand.. In all the cultures around the no celebrations are complete without sweets and good food. For such special occasions with your loved ones, here I bring another Indian Mithai/Sweet treat from my collection..Kesar Pista Burfi!!
What is Kesar Pista Burfi
Burfi is somewhat similar to Fudge and is made traditionally with mawa/khoya(evaporated milk solids). There are countless versions of burfi made in India during festival time. Nuts, Dried fruits like figs, dates, apricots and different flavours like cardamom, nutmeg, saffron are added to enhance the taste.
This Kesar Pista Burfi is not only soft melt in mouth with a delicious taste but also looks so attractive with the double layer of color. You can pack it in beautiful Mithai/gift boxes and give to your loved ones..I have not added any artificial colors here, but you can add a drop of orange or yellow and green color to enhance the color and look.
Few other sweet treats that you can make for the festivals for family and friends..
Mawa or Khoya is used to make majority of traditional Indian sweets.You can make mawa at home or use store bought.. It takes a couple of hours and watching time to make Mawa at home. Also if it is not available at your store or if you are pressed on time and you want some quick way to make festive treats.. Here is my way of making delicious mithai for your festivities..with MILK POWDER(Dry MILK).
Indulge in the royal flavours of Pistachios,Saffron and Cardamom with this easy and quick to make sweet treat for festivals and special occasions.
Diwali Sweets and Savouries
Diwali Sweets and Savouries is the theme this month for SHH Cooking Secretly Challenge. It is Festival time in India and a few days from one of our biggest festival, DIWALI. Poonam Bachhav who blogs at Annapurna, suggested the theme. Checkout these delicious festive Easy Motichoor Ladoo that she made for the theme.
My partner for the theme this month is Anu Kollon, who blogs at Ente Thattukada treasure of recipes from South Indian Cuisine. Anu suggested two secret ingredients for the theme.. Ghee and Milk and I suggested cardamom and sugar as secret ingredients. She made for the theme .
Few other sweet and savoury recipes for Diwali
Ingredients for Kesar Pista Burfi
Milk Powder, Pistachios, Kesar/Saffron, Ghee, Milk and sweetener.
For the sweetener, I have used Raw Cane Sugar. You can use your normal castor sugar.
Method to make Kesar Pista Burfi
Points to keep in mind when making this burfi
Keep the flame to medium. Roasting on high flame/heat with burn the milk powder and powdered nuts.
We like moderately sweetness in our desserts, you can adjust the sweetener as per your taste.
Make saffron milk, half an hour ahead, Do not add saffron in very hot milk.
Recipe Card for Kesar Pista Burfi
Kesar Pista Burfi
- Heavy Bottomed Pan/Kadhai or Non-stick pan
- Grinder to Grind Pistachios
- Dish to set Burfi
- 2¾ Cup Milk Powder about 300g
- 1 Cup Shelled and Unsalted Pistachios 128gm
- 10-15 Saffron Strands
- ½ Cup Raw Cane Sugar optional Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- ¼ Cup Cream
- ¼ Cup Ghee or use melted unsalted butter
- Lightly brush oil on a rectangular dish or square dish.
- You can line the dish with parchment/butter paper.
- Take about ¼ Cup warm milk soak saffron/kesar strands in it and keep aside.
- Grind pistachios coarsely.
- Dry roast in a pan on low heat, till it gives a nutty aroma. Once done, keep in dish or plate to cool.
- Now take milk powder, add ghee in it and roast till milk powder turns creamy in color and gives the roasted aroma.
- Once done, take out from the pan and keep aside in another dish,
- Now in another or same pan, add rest of the milk, cardamom powder, cream, sugar and cook till milk starts to thicken. Cook for about 5 mins.
- Now add roasted milk powder to it and quickly mix it well.
- Roast it for another 2-3 mins, till it starts to form a sticky mass. It is almost similar to mawa or khoya.
- Now take out ½ of the milk powder mix and keep in dish and add roasted pista powder to it.
- Quickly working on it , mix pista powder well. Take care not to burn the mixture.
- Transfer the mix. and spread the in the greased dish. Keep the thickness of the block as you like. It should not be very thin or thick. I keep it in between 1-2 cm. Level it with spatula or with hands,
- Now add kesar milk in pan, add the rest of the portion of milk powder mix(mawa) and mix well.
- If you want bright color, you can add a drop or pinch of artificial yellow or orange color or a pinch of turmeric. It gives a nice yellowish tinge.
- Now spread this mix over the pistachio layer. Spread it evenly.
- Cover with finely chopped almonds or more coarsely powdered pistachios.
- Cover with cling film or with aluminum foil and after 30 mins. cut in desired pieces.
- Once the whole mixture cools down, take out the pieces from the dish and store in an airtight container.
Pin to see later
Shop for related Products
Do try this Royal Kesar Pista Burfi for your special occassion or to celebrate any happy moment. I will love to hear your feedback.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!