Bhuna Masala, onion and tomato based curry masala recipe for North Indian curries, made in Instant Pot/Nutri Pot.
Making North Indian curries like Rajma Masala, Chana Masala, Kale Chane or Aloo Matar in Instant Pot gets so easy and quick with Bhuna Masala.
This masala recipe can also adjusted as per requirement. You can make masala in Inner pot with this recipe and add on the lentils, beans or veggies to cook.
Since lot of people have started using Instant Pot or Nutri Pot for preparing meals, this masala comes very handy when making curries in it.
You can make a big batch of it in Instant Pot and freeze in portions and use as and when required.
Check out how to make Bhuna Masala on stove-top, how to store it and use it..
How to use Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot for making veggies
To use Bhuna Masala for making curries like Rajma Masala, Chole Masala, Aloo Matar or Matar Paneer, thaw frozen masala (if frozen), in Inner Pot..
- Switch on the SAUTE MODE, set the timer for 5-10 minutes, add some oil, add cumin seeds(optional).
- Add bhuna masala, add dry spice powders like coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and other herbs and spices as per the curry recipe. Add the beans or veggies and cook the curry/lentils/beans as per the recipe.
Will be updating the recipe links here as and when I post the curry recipes made in Instant Pot.
Let's see how I make Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot..
Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 3 Onions(Big)
- 4-5 Tomatoes
- 6-7 Garlic Cloves
- 1" Ginger Piece
- 2-3 Green Chillies as per taste optional
- 1-2 Dry Whole Red Chillies
- 2-3 tbsp Mustard Oil/ any good Vegetable oil
- Peel and wash and roughly chop onions.
- In a food processor add ginger, garlic, green chillies and chopped onions, and grind to a smooth paste.
- Roughly chop tomatoes and grind in food processor.
- Switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE MODE. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Add oil in inner pot. When the display shows hot, add oil. If using mustard oil heat till the smoking point, else add cumin seeds.
- Ince the seeds crackle, add onion paste. Fry till light golden brown. While frying onions, keep on scraping the bottom of inner pot as onion paste can stick there and burn.
- Once onions are done, add tomato puree. Mix everything well.
- Canel the SAUTE MODE.Cover the lid and set the PRESSURE COOK Mode on for 2 or 3 minutes(depends how fine is tomato puree)..
- Once the timer goes off, do the QPR(quick pressure release), open the lid.
- If there is some extra water, in masala, switch on the saute mode again for another 5 mins, and cook masala till water dries up.
- Cool it and pack it in portions in an ice tray or silicone baking cups as shown in pic, and freeze it or refrigerate it in a airtight container.
- Use as and when required.
Preparing onions and Tomatoes for Bhuna Masala
Cooking Bhuna Masala in Instant Pot
Do give me your feedback about the post and recipe.
If you like my work, then do hit the follow button to subscribe to my blog to get notifications on new posts. Also do share the blog info with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!