Coconut Rose Sandesh Recipe | How to make Rose flavored Coconut Sandesh
Soft melt in mouth Coconut Rose Sandesh, is a perfect treat for those who love light milk based desserts. Not too sweet and not laden with lots of oil/ghee it one of the desserts that you can term as health friendly.
This Coconut Rose Sandesh is a fuss free dish 4 ingredient dish which can be prepared within 15 mins, if we already have paneer.
It is a kind of No Bake Indian Cheese Cake. You can also use Ricotta cheese to make it. To use Ricotta in recipe, we will have to cook ricotta till the water content evaporates.
Paneer/Chhena or Indian Cottage Cheese
Paneer or Indian Cottage cheese is also known as Chhena and is used in making various Indian desserts and savory dishes. Indian Cottage Cheese is made by boiling milk which is curdled with citric acid/lemon or vinegar. is It is a rich source of calcium and Vit. D and is a good source of protein for vegetarians.
Checkout how to make HOMEMADE PANEER.
What is Sandesh
Sandesh is a paneer/chhena based dessert from Bengali Cuisine. The Indian state of Bengal is famous for it's various delicacies especially desserts which are majorly Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese.
For basic Sandesh Recipe we need only 3 basic ingredients Paneer(Homemade or Store bought) and Sugar and very little ghee(optional). Basic Sandesh is flavored with cardamom powder. One can play around with the flavours and fillings. Like these Strawberry flavored Sandesh or Nolen Gur Sandesh made with Date Palm Jaggery.
To shape Sandesh special molds are also available in market to give it unique shape like Conch/Sea Shell, fish etc. We can also shape it with hands in form of small balls or make patterns using any cookie press.
Serve it for a light dessert at your parties or make for bhog prasad on any festival occasion like Durga Pooja, Diwali or Raskshabandhan.
You can even feed this to your toddlers and kids. Adjust the sweetness as required. Instead of rose syrup you can add mango puree(Mango Sandesh), cocoa powder(Chocolate Sandesh) or orange squash/tang for (Orange Sandesh).
Ingredients to make Coconut Rose Sandesh
Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese- I have used fresh homemade Paneer. You can use store bought paneer pack also but it should not be very hard. When using homemade paneer, squeeze out all the water properly. To make Sandesh, we can lightly sauté Paneer , but do not go overboard as chhena turns hard and dry.
Sweetener- I used organic raw sugar- Desi Khand, you can also use icing sugar or powdered castor sugar.
Desiccated Coconut- Use unsweetened desiccated coconut. also, Also, do not use thick flakes as it may spoil the texture of the sweet.
Rose Syrup- To add rose flavour. You can also use Rose Essence for enhance rose flavour.
For Garnish(optional)-Dried Rose Petals and Coarsely chopped nuts
How to make Coconut Rose Sandesh
Checkout detailed post to make HOMEMADE Paneer.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai on low flame.
- Lightly roast coconut till it gives a nutty aroma.
- Now add crumbled Paneer and sauté it on low flame.
- Take out in a plate/dish and mash it very nicely to smooth mix.
- Add rose syrup.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Mix nicely.
- Take lemon sized portion and roll.
- Make a small indent.
- Garnish with coarsely chopped nuts(pistachios) and dried rose petals(optional).
Storage and Shelf Life
Refrigerate Sandesh in an airtight container. Since it is a milk product and preservative free, so consume it within 4-5 days.
It is a dairy based Vegetarian dish, I have not tried it's Vegan version with TOFU so cannot suggest the Vegan version .
Related Recipes with Paneer/Chhena
Coconut Rose Sandesh
- Heavy Bottomed Pan/Kadhai
To make Paneer
- 1 L Full Fat Milk
- 1-2 tbsp Lemon Juice/Vinegar
To make Sandesh
- 1 Cup Crumbled Paneer
- ½ Cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tbsp Rose Syrup
- 2½ tbsp Powdered Sugar or add as required
- Coarsely chopped nuts for garnish optional
Make Fresh Paneer or Chhena
- Boil 1 l milk in a pan.
- When the first boil comes, add juice of 1 lemon/any vinegar.
- Let the milk curdle. Keep it for 2-3 mins.
- Strain paneer in cheese cloth and keep the whey for any further use.
- Squeeze the extra water from paneer and keep it under some heavy weight for 2-3 hrs.
- Then use as required.
- Checkout out the detailed recipe to make Homemade Paneer.
- In a heavy bottomed kadhai/non stick pan, heat 1 tbsp ghee on low flame.
- Now add desiccated coconut and lightly roast it. Only roast till it gives a nutty aroma, take care it should not change color. It will take only 1-2 mins.
- Now add mashed paneer and sauté for a min. on low flame.
- Switch off the gas and take out in a plate or dish and let it cool.
- Once it cools add rose syrup and sugar as per taste. I added about 2½ tbsp of desi Khand/powdered raw sugar.
- Mix everything well and make a smooth mixture.
- Make lemon sized balls, press lightly in middle and make small indent.
- Optional--Garnish with coarsely ground pistachio/cashew nuts or almonds.
- Refrigerate in an air tight container and consume within 4-5 days.
Do try these melt in mouth special Bengali sweet for any special occasion, parties or festivals. It is rich in Calcium, protein and low in fats and moderately sweet.
Whenever you try these do share your feedback with me and in comments section get in touch if you have any queries.
Say Hello!! and visit my social media accounts.. FB, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and You-Tube.
If you like my work, then add your email id and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping and keep coming back!!
Such a gorgeous looking Sandesh with rose snd coconut flavors! Wish I could grab a couple of these beauties right off the screen .
Thank you Poonam
Coconut rose sandesh looks so beautiful, melt in mouth and yummy Swaty. I can imagine the heavenly taste and flavour. A perfect festive treat.
Coconut Rose Sandesh, wow love the color swaty.....
Super soft melt in mouth Sandesh, that too flavor with rose is a perfect treat for any sweet lovers.
The Girl Next Door
Oh wow, what a unique sandesh recipe! With the coconut and rose flavours going in, this is bound to be a beauty. ?
Coconut rose sandesh looks so rich and delicious. Love this flavourful sandesh . Infact I love all the Bengali sweets. Getting a festive feel from the pics Swaty. Can’t wait to try your version at home .
It's high time I made shondesh . The rose and coconut flavored Shondeshs look so cute and tempting. Your recipe sounds like a breeze