Restaurant Style Crispy Lotus stem in Honey Chilli Sauce, stepwise written and video recipe
Crispy Lotus Stem in Honey Chilli Sauce, a delicious and quick appetizer/starter recipe made with deep fried crispy lotus stem in sweet chilli honey sauce. If you are bored of serving making potato and paneer based snacks, try this Crispy Lotus Stem recipe with sweet spicy and tangy flavours for your next get together or to enjoy just like that.
Nowadays, Crispy Chilli Lotus Stem is served as a popular starter in Indian restaurants and dine-ins. It is perfect to enjoy on a rainy day with some your favourite soup or just like that !!
The recipe is Kids friendly, Gluten-free and can be made Vegan-friendly by replacing honey chilli garlic sauce with vegan version made with maple syrup.
About Lotus Stem
Lotus Stem is also known as Nandru in Kashmir and Kamal Kakdi in rest of India. In many parts of Northern India it is also known as Bhein. It is also very commonly used in Chinese and many other South Asian cuisines.
It is the stem of Lotus which grows underwater. In many places it is also referred as Lotus Root, Considered as an exotic vegetable Lotus stem is used in curries, vegetarian kebabs and snacks. Lotus stem is also added to salads, soups and stews.
Benefits of Lotus Stem/Kamal Kakadi
Lotus stem is a loaded with nutrients and minerals. These are rich in fiber and phytonutrients. It may help in lowering down of blood pressure. It is also loaded with Vitamins like Vit. C, Vit. B complex, forms and integral part of collagen which maintains strength and rigidity of cells, skin and organs.
So try this nutrient rich vegetable whenever it is in season or available at your neighbourhood store.
Ingredients to make Crispy Honey Chilli Lotus Stem
Lotus Stem- Choose Fresh Lotus stem or Bhein which has light creamy color. These are soft and need not to be blanched before cooking . Also, as such we will be deep frying the pieces so there is no need for it.
Cornstarch(or Cornflour)- Lotus stem pieces are coated in a mix of corn flour deep fried for crispy outer coating.
Condiments- Honey Chilli garlic sauce, Red Chilli Flakes, Black Pepper, Soy Sauce, Sriracha(optional), Salt.
Others- Garlic, Finely chopped onions and spring onion greens.
Oil to fry and to prepare the chilli lotus stem.
How to make Crispy Lotus Stem in Honey Chilli Sauce
Before using in the recipe wash and clean lotus stem properly. Cut the heads from both the ends and then peel it and then cut into roundles.
Soak roundles in ice cold water (for 5-10 mins) as it may turn black if kept open. Also, soaking in ice cold water helps in getting the extra crispness. It also, removes the extra starch form the vegetable.
Prepare the batter with cornflour and all purpose flour(optional). Add all the ingredients under the batter section and then dip the lotus stem roundels. Coat nicely with batter and then deep fry.
In a pan heat 1-2 tbsp oil. Sauté garlic for few seconds.
Mix all soy sauce, siracha, honey chilli sauce in a bowl and then add to the pan. Add the roundels and then coat nicely in sauce.
Top with sesame seeds and spring onion greens.
Serve hot and enjoy!!
In place of Honey chilli sauce you can add 1-2 tbsp of honey, 1 tsp chilli flakes and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Mix well and add to soy sauce.
For Gluten-free Crispy Lotus stem
For Gluten-free batter you can use tapioca flour. Soy Sauce can be replaced with Tamari sauce.
Storing and Shelf Life
These taste best when served fresh. When making for a party or get together you can fry ahead. Just before serving you can cook and coat in sauces.
Reheat in preheat mode if required. Do not reheat in microwave as it will get soggy and chewy.
Also, do not heat t for too long or more than 3-4 mins. then also it becomes very chewy and hard.
Recipe Card for Crispy Honey Chilli Lotus Stem
Crispy Honey Chilli Lotus Stem
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- 2 Heavy Bottomed Pan/Kadhai
- 2 Lotus Stem(medium Size)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves finely chopped or minced
- 2 tbsp Cornflour/Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Honey Chilli Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha or Garlic Chilli Sauce
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes or as required
- 2 tbsp Spring Onion Greens finely chopped
- Sesame Seeds for garnish as required
- Salt as required
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Oil for frying
- Wash Lotus stems very nicely and peel.2 Lotus Stem(medium Size)
- Cut the stems in roundels and keep it in chilled water for 5 mins. Also add about ½ tsp salt to it.
- Mix salt with cornflour.2 tbsp Cornflour/Cornstarch, Salt as required
- Drain water nicely from lotus stem. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add cornflour/cornstarch and coat all the pieces very nicely. No need to add water.2 tbsp Cornflour/Cornstarch
- Heat oil in a pan or kadhai and deep fry till light golden brown.Oil for frying
- Keep aside fried pieces. You can line absorbent paper to soak extra oil
- Mix soy sauce, honey chilli sauce, sriracha.2 tbsp Honey Chilli Sauce, 1 tsp Soy Sauce, 1 tsp Sriracha, 1 tbsp Oil
- Take another pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add chopped garlic and saute for few seconds. Do not burn it.2-3 Garlic Cloves
- Now add the sauce mix. and cook for few seconds and then add fried lotus stem.
- Nicely coat all the pieces in sauce and then top with red chilli flakes, sesame seeds and spring onion greens.1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes, Sesame Seeds for garnish, 2 tbsp Spring Onion Greens
- Serve hot.
Do try this Restaurant Style Crispy Lotus Stem/Root. You and your loved ones will surely love this recipe and you will want to make it again and again whenever you lotus stem.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, please rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBSCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mailbox ?!!
Thanks for stopping by, keep coming back!!