No Onion No Garlic Kaddu Ki Subzi | Sweet and Tangy Pumpkin Curry recipe in Indian Flavours | Bhandarewale Kaddu ki Subzi | Halwaiwali Kaddu ki Subzi
U.P Style Kaddu Ki Subzi is a delicious and easy to cook PUMPKIN STIR FRY with sweet and tangy and slight spicy tones. One of our favourite side dish to include in festive menu or for having it on everyday day meals with Dal and Rice combo. We love to have it with Puri or Ajwain Parathas.
It gets ready under 30 mins, it is Gluten-free, Vegan Friendly(when made without ghee) and so yummy!!
In India vegetable preparation like Bhindi Masala, Aloo Beans and Beetroot ki Subzi, Aloo Gobhi are known as Subzi or the curries without a gravy. These are served with either bread like Roti, Paratha or served with Dal Rice for everyday meals.
Kaddu or Kashi Phal or the Green Pumpkin is one of the most popular vegetable in India. It widely available throughout the county and is budget friendly too.
Nutritional Benefits of Pumpkin/Kaddu
Pumpkin is loaded with health friendly ingredients.
- Pumpkins are a great source of vitamins and minerals especially Vitamin A which protect the eyesight.
- This is also loaded with fibers, beta carotenoids and antioxidants which protect the body against cancer causing free radials.
- Rich in Vit. C which boasts the immunity and good for skin and hair health.
Related Pumpkin Recipes from the blog-
Pumpkin is used in a various curries in India. It is also used to make soups, pumpkin
Bhandare wali Khatti Meethi Kaddu Ki Subzi
This vegetable has religious significance. In North India it is a popular dishes made during festivals or for fastings days like Navratri and the auspicious days when people abstain from onion and garlic due to religious reasons. Not only for special occasions but this is also included in the Bhog/Prasad which is offered to God on any special pooja day. Another popular name for the curry is Bhandare wali Kaddu ki Subzi.
Bhandara is the term used in India for the special meal cooked for the deity and then distributed to masses. Many people gather together and offer their services free of cost to make meals that are offered to God as bhog and then distributed to large crowd.
If someone in your family do not like pumpkin, do try this subzi my way. I am sure they will totally love it and ask you to make it again and again!!
The vegetable is made in various forms in almost all parts of India but this version is popular especially in the states of Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh(U.P) and Rajasthan. I am from Uttar Pradesh and love this dish ever since the times I was a kid. Mom always made it for the Diwali lunch menu which included Aloo ki Subzi, Poori, Jeera Rice, Boondi Raita and Kaddu ki Subzi along with Chawal ki Kheer(Rice Pudding)
What variety of Pumpkin to use for making Kaddu Ki Subzi
To make Indian Style Pumpkin Stir fry, use green tender pumpkin. In India his variety is commonly available. For those in US or other countries, you can use Sugar Pumpkin but discard the peel as it is very hard. Or you can get the the green variety from Indian grocery stores.
Ingredients to make Kaddu Ki Subzi
Pumpkin- Use the ripe pumpkin with green and yellow skin. This kind of pumpkin cooks faster and there is no need to peel off the skin. When using the orange pumpkin, then peel off the skin as it is hard and spoil the texture of the curry.
Spices- Asafetida/Hing, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds(lend it a characteristic taste), Whole Red Dry Chillies, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt as per taste. I also add Kalonji(onion seeds). Amchur or Dry Mango Powder give the vegetable it's characteristic taste when combined with the sweetener add to the subzi.
Sweetener- Jaggery is added to add the sweet tones to Kaddu ki subzi. But if you do not have jaggery then you can add castor sugar or any other raw sugar.
Oil- Traditionally we use Desi Ghee when making for fasting or Prasad meals. On regular days we use mustard oil. You can also use any good plant based oil like Rice bran or Olive oil as per your availability and preference. Heat Mustard oil it's smoking point and then cool down a bit before adding the spices and vegetable in it.
Herbs- Ginger and green chillies, fresh cilantro/coriander for garnish.
Tomato- I like to add 1 finely chopped tomato. Or, You can also add or 1-2 tbsp of tomato puree.Many people skip adding tomato, it is optional.
You can also add 1/4 tsp Kalonji or Onion seeds if it is available to you. In West Bengal people use the Panch Phoron(5 spice mix- Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds, Kalonji, Fenugreek Seeds, Fennel Seeds).
How to cook Kaddu ki Subzi
Pumpkin stir fry in Indian flavours is made using minimum spices. The characteristic taste comes from fenugreek seeds, sugar/jaggery and dry mango powder which make it sweet and tangy.
The recipe is super easy and fuss free and the curry can be prepared under 20 mins. The most tiring part is peeling the skin if it is hard. There is no need to peel the skin of Green Pumpkin. You can also get cut cubes from the market to save time and work!!
To prepare the vegetable from whole pumpkin checkout my detailed post on Homemade Pumpkin Puree.
You can cook vegetable in open pan/kadhai or in pressure cooker to save time. It takes about 20 mins. in an open pan, whereas in pressure cooker it gets ready within 10 mins.
Mustard Oil has pungent taste and smell. If you are using it in your recipe then heat oil to it's smoking point, then cool it a bit and then use the warm oil for cooking.
Serving Suggestions for Kaddu Ki Subzi
It is best paired with Ajwain Poori but is also equally enjoyed with Chapatis and Parathas(Indian Flatbreads) or as a side with Dal and Steamed Rice combo!!
I even love to have the leftover with sandwich bread for breakfast or simply spread it on roti/chapati, top it with some chopped onions enjoy is as a roll!!
Related Pumpkin Recipes from the blog-
Pumpkin is used in a various curries in India. It is also used to make soups, pumpkin puree is also used in baking cakes, muffins, quick breads, pies, cookies etc.
Recipe Card for Kaddu Ki Subzi
Kaddu Ki Subzi/Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- Kadhai / Pan
- Measuring Spoons
- 500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin cubed(peeled if skin is hard)
- ½" Fresh Ginger piece
- 1 Green Chilli optional
- 1 Tomato(Medium)
- ¼ tsp Hing/Asafetida
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or as required) use Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½-1 tsp Amchur Powder/Dry Mango Powder Check Notes
- 1-2 tbsp Jaggery Powder/Crushed Jaggery pieces or any other sugar
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil/Desi Ghee or any plant based oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1-2 tbsp Finely chopped Cilantro/Coriander for garnish
- ¼ Cup Water
- Wash nicely, cut pumpkin in slices, scoop the pulp and seeds and then cut the slices in cubes. Peel the skin if it is hard,500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin
- Coarsely crush ginger and green chilli(if using) in a mortar and pestle.½" Fresh Ginger piece, 1 Green Chilli
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadhai/heavy bottomed pan.2 tbsp Mustard Oil/Desi Ghee
- Add asafetida/hing and then add cumin seeds.¼ tsp Hing/Asafetida
- Once the seeds crackle, add ginger green chilli paste and saute for few seconds. Keep the flame to medium low else the seeds will burn.½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- Now add fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, kalonji(onion seeds).½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook till it is soft and mushy.1 Tomato(Medium)
- Now add pumpkin cubes, toss and nicely coat the slices in oil.500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder.½ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or as required), Salt as per taste, 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Add about ¼ Cup water, cover and cook the vegetable on low heat, stirring it in between.¼ Cup Water
- Take care, the veggie should not burn at bottom.
- Once pumpkin/kaddu is soft, add sugar/jaggery and amchur/dry mango powder. Mix well.½-1 tsp Amchur Powder/Dry Mango Powder, 1-2 tbsp Jaggery Powder/Crushed Jaggery pieces
- Cook for another 2-3 mins. You can lightly mash kaddu with the ladle.
- Serve hot garnish with finely chopped cilantro/coriander seeds.1-2 tbsp Finely chopped Cilantro/Coriander
Make this KHATTA MEETHA KADDU and enjoy little sweet and little tangy taste with the bread of your choice.Whenever you make it do give your feedback, or get in touch with me if you have any queries. Do take the pic and post it on any of my social media accounts(FB, Instagram, Twitter).
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!