Kaddu Ki Subzi | Sweet and Tangy Pumpkin Curry recipe in Indian Flavours
U.P Style Kaddu Ki Subzi is a delicious and easy to cook PUMPKIN STIR FRY with sweet and tangy and slight spicy tones.
In North India it is one of the most popular dishes made during festivals especially when people abstain from onion and garlic due to religious reasons. Not only for special occasions but this is also included in the Bhog/Prasad which is offered to God on any special pooja day. Another popular name for the curry is Bhandara style Kaddu.
Bhandara is the term used in India for the special meal cooked for the deity and then distributed to masses. Many people gather together and offer their services free of cost to make meals that are offered to God as bhog and then distributed to large crowd.
If someone in your family do not like pumpkin, do try this subzi my way. I am sure they will totally love it and ask you to make it again and again!!
The vegetable is made in various forms in almost all parts of India but this version is popular especially in the states of Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh(U.P) and Rajasthan. I am from Uttar Pradesh and love this dish ever since the times I was a kid. Mom always made it for the Diwali lunch menu which included Aloo ki Subzi, Poori, Jeera Rice, Boondi Raita and Kaddu ki Subzi along with Chawal ki Kheer(Rice Pudding)
Benefits of Pumpkin
Pumpkin is loaded with health friendly ingredients.
- Pumpkins are a great source of vitamins and minerals especially Vitamin A which protect the eyesight.
- This is also loaded with fibers, beta carotenoids and antioxidants which protect the body against cancer causing free radials.
- Rich in Vit. C which boasts the immunity and good for skin and hair health.
Related Pumpkin Recipes from the blog-
Pumpkin is used in a various curries in India. It is also used to make soups, pumpkin puree is also used in baking cakes, muffins, quick breads, pies, cookies etc.
What variety of Pumpkin to use for making Kaddu Ki Subzi
To make Indian Style Pumpkin Stir fry, use green tender pumpkin. In India his variety is commonly available. For those in US or other countries, you can use Sugar Pumpkin but discard the peel as it is very hard. Or you can get the the green variety from Indian grocery stores.
Ingredients to make Kaddu Ki Subzi
Pumpkin- Use the ripe pumpkin with green and yellow skin. This kind of pumpkin cooks faster and there is no need to peel off the skin. When using the orange pumpkin, then peel off the skin as it is hard and spoil the texture of the curry.
Spices- Asafetida/Hing, Cumin Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds(lend it a characteristic taste), Whole Red Dry Chillies, Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt as per taste. Amchur or Dry Mango Powder give the vegetable it's characteristic taste when combined with the sweetener add to the subzi.
Sweetener- Jaggery is added to add the sweet tones to Kaddu ki subzi. But if you do not have jaggery then you can add castor sugar or any other raw sugar.
Oil- Traditionally we use Desi Ghee when making for fasting or Prasad meals. On regular days we use mustard oil. You can use any good plant based oil like Rice bran or Olive oil as per your availability and preference. Heat Mustard oil it's smoking point and then cool down a bit before adding the spices and vegetable in it.
Herbs- Ginger and green chillies, fresh cilantro/coriander for garnish.
Many people also add tomato, it is optional. You can add 1 finely chopped tomato or 1-2 tbsp of tomato puree.
You can also add 1/4 tsp Kalonji or Onion seeds if it is available to you. In West Bengal people use the Panch Phoron.
How to cook Kaddu ki Subzi
Pumpkin stir fry in Indian flavours is made using minimum spices. The characteristic taste comes from fengreek seeds, sugar/jaggery and dry mango powder which make it sweet and tangy.
The recipe is super easy and fuss free and the curry can be prepared under 20 mins. The most tiring part is peeling the skin if it is hard. There is no need to peel the skin of Green Pumpkin. You can also get cut cubes from the market to save time and work!!
To prepare the vegetable from whole pumpkin checkout my detailed post on Homemade Pumpkin Puree (will publish it soon).
You can cook vegetable in open pan/kadhai or in pressure cooker to save time. It takes about 20 mins. in an open pan, whereas in pressure cooker it gets ready within 10 mins.
Mustard Oil has pungent taste and smell. If you are using it in your recipe then heat oil to it's smoking point, then cool it a bit and then use the warm oil for cooking.
Serving Suggestions for Kaddu Ki Subzi
It is best paired with Ajwain Poori but can be equally enjoyed with Chapatis and Parathas(Indian Flatbreads) or as a side with Dal and Steamed Rice combo!!
I even love to have the leftover with sandwich bread for breakfast!!
Kaddu Ki Subzi/Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- Kadhai / Pan
- Measuring Spoons
- 500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin cubed(peeled if skin is hard)
- ½" Fresh Ginger piece
- 1 Green Chilli optional
- ¼ tsp Hing/Asafetida
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or as required) use Kashmiri Lal Mirch
- ½-1 tsp Amchur Powder/Dry Mango Powder Check Notes
- 1-2 tbsp Jaggery Powder/Crushed Jaggery pieces or any other sugar
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil/Desi Ghee or any plant based oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1-2 tbsp Finely chopped Cilantro/Coriander for garnish
- ¼ Cup Water
- Wash nicely, cut pumpkin in slices, scoop the pulp and seeds and then cut the slices in cubes. Peel the skin if it is hard,500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin
- Coarsely crush ginger and green chilli(if using) in a mortar and pestle.½" Fresh Ginger piece, 1 Green Chilli
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadhai/heavy bottomed pan.1 tbsp Mustard Oil/Desi Ghee
- Add asafetida/hing then add fenugreek seeds. (Check Notes)¼ tsp Hing/Asafetida, 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Once the seeds splutter, add cumin seeds and let the seeds crackle. Keep the flame to medium low else the seeds will burn.½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- Now add pumpkin cubes, toss and nicely coat the slices in oil.500 gm Green Skinned Pumpkin
- After 1-2 mins, add all the spices except dry mango powder and sugar.½ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder(or as required), Salt as per taste
- Add about ¼ Cup water, cover and cook the vegetable on low heat, stirring it in between.¼ Cup Water
- Take care that the veggie should not burn at bottom.
- Once pumpkin/kaddu is soft, add sugar/jaggery and amchur/dry mango powder. Mix well.½-1 tsp Amchur Powder/Dry Mango Powder, 1-2 tbsp Jaggery Powder/Crushed Jaggery pieces
- Cook for another 2-3 mins. You can lightly mash kaddu with the ladle.
- Serve hot garnish with finely chopped cilantro/coriander seeds.1-2 tbsp Finely chopped Cilantro/Coriander
Make this KHATTA MEETHA KADDU and enjoy little sweet and little tangy taste with the bread of your choice.
Also, do not forget to rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!