It's day 2 for the Blogging Marathon and I had to bake another kids friendly cake for the Kids Theme-Make Them Cakes. For my last post for the theme, I had baked this yummy gluten-free and sugar-free Fudgy Almond Chocolate Cake that my kids loved. I wanted to do some fruity cake but realized I had no berries or orange left in the refrigerator and had to rush to the store to get these if I have to make a fruit-based cake. So I checked my pantry and found a pack of Choco-Chips and decided to make a Choco-Chips cake. Kids love Choco-Chip cookies and muffins. I had baked Choco-Chip muffins a few days back but I didn't do any post on it, though I had taken pics of muffins for Choco-Chip muffin doing a post. This Choco-Chip cake recipe is a quick bread recipe. You can make muffins, loaf, cake using this recipe with little variation in the liquid ingredients. The recipe uses eggs but you can replace eggs with buttermilk or yogurt or any other egg-replacer to get the eggless version. The whole house was filled with the warm and nice aroma of baked cake. As soon as my daughter entered the house said what's special today, it smells so good.. it's either Choco Chips Cookies or Cake. My son was a bit unwell so he didn't eat any and asked me to keep some for him for the other day. The elder one asked me to pack some pieces for her friends for the next day's lunch. The cake was soft, fluffy and a yummy treat for them with a glass of hot chocolate milk.
For this Choco-Chip cake, I have used Vanilla Bean Paste for flavoring. You can use your regular Vanilla extract or essence. I usually use small chips for the cake or muffins. If you don't have any chips in hand, then you can also use any good baking chocolate. Chop in chunks(as per your required size) and add to the batter. Pls note, the texture of Whole Wheat Cakes is little dense as compared to all-purpose flour cakes. Also, I have not used any baking soda in it. If you are making the eggless version please add 1/2 tsp baking soda along with any egg-replacers. Pls, see notes in the recipe card.
Let's see how I bake this Choco-Chip Cake.
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup Butter
- 3/4 Cup Castor Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 nos. Eggs
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Beans
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk use as required
- Pre-heat oven at 400F or 200 C.
- Mix together flour and baking powder.
- In a bowl beat both the sugar and butter together.
- Beat in eggs one by one. Don't overbeat the eggs as the batter can curdle. Add vanilla beans and mix in the batter.
- Fold in flour with light hands. If you are making cake, add some milk to adjust the consistency of the batter. The cake batter should be of dropping consistency.
- Dust the choco chips lightly with flour, and fold in the batter.
- Transfer batter to the pan lined with parchment paper, add some more chips to the batter and bake at 400F or 200C for 35-40 minutes.
- Check for doneness by doing the toothpick test. Insert a toothpick in the center of the cake it should have crumbs when taken out.
- Take out the cake from cake tin and cool on wire rack. Once cooled, store in an air-tight container.
- Cake stays good for 4-5 days when refrigerated and can be frozen also for about a month. I never froze it as this finishes within 2-3 days.
- All-purpose flour can be used instead of Whole Wheat flour. Only reduce the amount of milk as all-purpose flour soaks less milk than whole wheat flour.
- As mentioned in my other posts also, we like to have moderately sweet desserts, you can increase the amount of sugar as per your requirement but not more than the amount of flour used. Keep the total amount of sugar 1/4 Cup less than the amount of flour used. e.g if you have used 2 cups sugar than use a total of 1 3/4 cup of both sugars in total, not more than that otherwise the cake will be overly sweet.
- Add more of brown sugar in proportion to castor sugar will give a little dark color to the cake.
- For Eggless cake add 1/2 Tsp of baking soda in flour along with baking powder. Also, you can use1/2 buttermilk or yogurt as egg-replacers. Adjust the consistency by adding the required quantity of milk
The Choco-chip cake it was soft, had a good crumb and kids loved it. The only thing that I was not happy was that I baked I baked in a pan that was not deep. I wanted to bake a round cake for the post but should have used a deep round pan to get the right height. I usually bake this in a loaf pan, didn't know why I choose this round pan. Will update the pics whenever next I bake it in a loaf pan or a deep round pan or a loaf pan of 7X4. Baking time and temperatures remain the same.
Sharing my Whole Wheat Choco Chip cake at Blogging Marathon for Week 2 Day 2 where the theme for this week in Kid's Delight is Make them Cakes.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#95. You can read about#95 Blogging Marathon in detail and who all are participating in it and the various categories.. here.
Do bake this cake and see the smiles on your kids' face. Do give me your feedback and whenever you make this do post a pic on any of my social media pages.. FB page or tag me on Instagram. You can also Pin the recipe for later use. You can also find my recipes on Google+. It will a small token of your appreciation for my work and keeps me motivated to bring good, authentic, tried and tested recipes to you.
Join me in my Food Trails by following the blog, click on the FOLLOW button and on my social media accounts. Click on the icons on the sidebar for joining in. If you like my work, do share my blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by. Keep coming back for more such yummy recipes ?!!
This whole wheat choco chip cake looking absolutely yummy Swati. feels like having one pieces right away. I love whole wheat cakes.
The kids would love this cake. The texture is so good and looks very delicious!
Wow that cake surely has a wonderful crumb...nice one to try!
Love the chocochip studded cake
We always don't have what we need in the pantry. Glad you were able to bake with choco chips. Cake looks gorgeous - very moist and soft.
A tempting one for kids of all ages, I bet.
Such soft, moist and delicious looking chocolate chip cake. I think my kids will go gaga over those chocolate chips for sure,
The cake looks perfectly baked. My kids would love to have a slice or two.
I love adding chocolate chips in cakes. They give a wonderful look to the finished cake as well as they taste great too. Your cake looks so beautiful.
Choco chip cake looks wonderful and it reminds me of choco chip cookie dough ice cream. Cake looks moist and inviting.
Thanks for the nice words!!
it looks good and the cake soo thick and moist at the same time
Prefect looking fantabulous cake, this cake looks prefect to have for anyone's evening snacks with a cup of coffee or tea. Wholewheat chocolate chips cake rocks.