Roasted Bell Pepper and Tomato soup is one of my family’s favorite soup. When I moved to the US, I noticed cans of Roasted Bell and Tomato Soup on the shelves in the grocery stores. My kids love Tomato Soup, but Red Bell Pepper Soup got me interested in it.I avoid canned soups and gravies and prefer making everything fresh from scratch, so I searched for the recipe on the net, and made it, kids loved it, though I didn’t tell them about the red bell pepper in it. The idea of sneaking Bell Pepper in soup is great for moms whose kids don’t want to have Bell Peppers. Perfect comfort food for chilling winters or for the times when you want to have a soup kind of dinner. Great to pair with grilled sandwiches, garlic bread or even pizza. The soup is similar to Tomato Soup/Bisque with red bell pepper added to it. Roasting enhances the flavor, add basil(fresh/dried) or thyme for more flavor. Many times I add fresh cilantro/coriander for the extra freshness. Also if anyone in family is suffering from cold and cough, I add ½ inch ginger while blending the tomatoes.
Tomato and Bell Pepper are rich in lycopene and powerful antioxidants. Rich source of Vit. C, increases hemoglobin level due to the Vit B and folate levels. Garlic is an excellent source of minerals like magnesium, iron selenium, and Vit C and Vit B1. Boosts the immune system and prevents cold-related infections.
The soup is ready in 30-40 minutes. All you have to do is to slice the bell pepper and tomatoes, drizzle some oil, and roast for a few minutes along with garlic and onions, blend and it’s ready to serve. Make ahead and reheat at the time of serving.
Let’s see what we need and how we make this delicious comfort food!!!
- Tomatoes–4-5 / 500 gm
- Red Bell Pepper–1 big
- Garlic Cloves–4-5
- Olive Oil–2 Tbsp
- Onion–1 medium(optional)
- Black Pepper– ½ -1 Tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar–1 Tsp
- Fresh Basil–4-5 or
- Dried Basil/ Parsley–1 Tsp
- Parmesan Cheese-1-2 Tbsp(or as per choice)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F or 200°C.
- Cut tomatoes, red bell, black pepper. Arrange on a baking tray along with garlic cloves, and bake for 30 minutes or until the skin of red pepper chars.
- Once roasted nicely, scrape the charred skins if you want, squeeze the roasted garlic from the skin and blend the tomatoes and red pepper along with garlic, to a smooth paste.
- Add vegetable stock or water to adjust the thickness of the soup.
- Very finely chop basil/cilantro/parsley and drizzle on the soup or blend along with tomatoes.I usually blend the fresh herbs along with tomatoes. Add Parmesan cheese stir and serve hot. Add more seasoning as per choice. You can also add butter to the soup, my kids and hubby love the buttery flavor.
Make this and enjoy the warm soup in winters. You can also have it chilled in summers. Make a large batch just thaw and reheat. Stays good for a month.
Give your feedback in comments and follow the blog for more such comfort food recipes. I will love to see the pics on any of my social media pages..FB or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25) whenever your try. You can also Pin the recipe for later use.
Related.. Tomato, Cilantro and Moong Lentil Soup, Instant Pot Butternut Squash and Tomato soup with Red Lentils and many more to come..
Join me in my food trails by following the blog and on my social media accounts. If you like my work do share this with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!!!