Aam Panna Recipe(Raw Mango Drink) | Raw Mango Summer Cooler
Refreshing Aam Panna, a summer cooler made with seasonal raw mangoes and spices like cumin and fennel seeds.
Indian Summers are very harsh. When the summer heat drains out the energy and takes away the appetite summer coolers are the best rescuers!!
People in India make different types of cold drinks with seasonal fruits and vegetables, spices, dairy (milk and curd). Every region has its own traditional summer cold drink that quenches the thirst, keep you feeling full and satisfied without feeling heavy. Nothing beats the summer heat and tiredness a chilled glass of these homemade cold drinks made with seasonal fruits and vegetables!!
Drinks like Shkanjavi(traditional Indian lemonade), Lassi(yogurt based sweet drink), Chass(Indian Buttermilk), Kokam(traditional drink from Coastal India) and many more are easy and quick to make and are budget friendly too.
What is Aam Panna
Aam Panna,one of the quintessential summer drink made from raw mangoes(locally known as Kairi/Aami).
It is most popular in North Indian states and Maharashtra or the mango growing regions. Raw mango is available only at the beginning of mango season (March-April) for a very short time and people take full advantage of it. It is used for making finger licking pickles and chutneys and curries.
Raw mango is an excellent source of Vit. C, Vit. B1 and B2 and Niacin. It is used in the cure of tuberculosis, anemia and dysentery or beneficial in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders and dehydration that can occur due to excessive heat.
Raw Mango is locally available in markets in India when in season. In US you can get it at Indian Grocery stores from April- Jul(during summers).
How to prepare Aam Panna
Wash raw mangoes very nicely.
Boil whole raw mangoes with peel to soften the pulp. Once the mangoes cool down, peel the mangoes and take out the pulp.
Then grind the pulp with ginger, fresh mint leaves with roasted cumin seeds, saunf (fennel), sugar, black peppercorns and black salt .
Add sugar(sweetener) as per the tartness of raw mangoes and your taste preference. Cool the concentrate completely and then store in airtight glass bottles or jars.
You can add jaggery or any raw sugar instead of castor sugar.
How to make Aam Panna Concentrate
I also make the concentrate which stays good for 10-15 days when stored in refrigerator.
To make the concentrate, cook the pulp and spice mixture for 5-10 mins(till the mixture boils) with a glass of water.
Cool completely and store in a glass bottle. Refrigerate the concentrate and use as required.
Serving Aam Panna
Take a 3/4 part chilled water and 1/4 part (concentrate), or adjust the amount as per your taste. Add some ice cubes and you can add few fresh crushed mint leaves in it.
Can we freeze the Aam Panna Concentrate
We can also freeze Aam Panna Concentrate, you can use ice cube trays or small air-tight containers. Use as required.
Aam Panna Popsicles
Add some fun element and make Aam Panna Popsicles for kids. To make Popsicles, add some water as per your taste to dilute the concentrate, and then freeze in popsicle or kulfi molds.
So before Raw Mangoes disappear from stores and grab some, make and relish this yummy Indian Summer cooler!!
Another Summer fruit that is indigenous to Indian Sub-continent is Jamun or Black Plum. Checkout these delicious and healthy and kid’s friendly popsicles made with Jamun fruit
Let’s see how I prepare this sweet and tangy Aam Panna
Aam Panna(Raw Mango Drink)
- Blender/Chutney Grinder
- Mixing Bowl
- 500 gm Raw Mango(Aami/Kairi) or 3-4 small mangoes
- 1-1½ Cup Raw Cane Sugar/Jaggery Powder or as per your taste preferences
- 10-12 Fresh Mint leaves
- 2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 4-5 Black Pepper
- ½" Fresh Ginger(small)
- 1 Lemon (optional) or 2 tbsp juice
- Black Salt( as per taste)
- Wash nicely raw mangoes and then pressure cook mangoes. It will shorten the cooking time. Check after 2 whistles if the mangoes are cooked.
- The skin of raw mango will lose its green color and get a light yellow color once the pulp softens.
- Take out the mango from water, and when it is cool enough to handle peel off the skin and take out the pulp in a bowl.
- Transfer the pulp to grinder/blender, add sugar/jaggery, mint leaves, ginger, black peppercorns, saunf (fennel seeds), kala namak (black salt/himalayan pink salt) and grind to fine paste.
To make Aam Panna Concentrate
- Add a cup of water in a pan, then add the pulp and spices mixture. Cook for about 5-10 mins. or till the mixture boils.
- Cool completely and store in a glass bottle. Refrigerate the concentrate and use as required.
Serving Aam Panna
- Take a 3/4 part chilled water and 1/4 part Aam Panna(concentrate), or adjust the amount as per your taste. Add some ice cubes and you can add few fresh crushed mint leaves in it.
- Optional–Add lemon juice for a more sweet and tangy flavour.
- You can also cook mangoes in open pan. Take a pan filled with water and keep it to boil. Add mangoes to it. It will take around 20-30 minutes for the pulp to soften.
- You can also peel raw mango, cut the pieces, discard the seeds and boil till soft.
Whenever you make this sweet and tangy Indian Summer Drink, Concentrate or Popsicles, do give me your feedback in comments. If you have any doubts pls msg or write in comments..
You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use. If you like the recipe, pls do rate the recipe. Rating tab is just above the comments. Rating helps to make my blog more visible in Google searches and more people can discover my blog.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by and keep coming back!!