Healthy, rich in fibre and nutrients and low in oil/fat Beetroot Carrot and Tomato soup is a delicious appetizer or meal starter for your whole family. A dump all, kind of one pot soup recipe ready within 30 mins from start to finish.
The soup is perfect for anytime of the year and ideal to have with your diet and detox plans. It has comfort in every sip you take. Whole spices like Bay Leaf, Cinnamon, Black Peppercorns and Cloves spice it up.
The healthy and rustic soup made with fresh seasonal produce takes me back to my childhood days when mom used to make it during the cold and chilly months of North Indian winter.
- About the recipe
- Ingredients to make Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup
- How to make Beetroot Carrot and Tomato Soup
- How to make Oil Free Beetroot Carrot and Tomato Soup
- Serving Suggestions
- Storing and Shelf Life
- Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup
About the recipe
The earthy comforting soup can be made anytime of the year with basic ingredients available in your pantry. Beetroot and Carrots not only give this soup a bright, beautiful red color but also adds a sweet flavour which balances the tanginess of tomatoes. The health friendly soup can also be given to kids as it is free of any spice or chillies. Though you can add and adjust the spiciness as per your preference.
Ingredients to make Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup
I always use fresh ingredients to make this soup and have never used the frozen or canned vegetables, so can't comment in how the taste will be with canned ingredients.
Beetroots-It adds and enhances the color to the soup. It also adds fibre and texture.
Carrots- These are fibre and carotenoid rich and add a sweet flavour. You can use the orange carrots or the Delhi Red Carrots(in India) which are available in abundance during winters in North India.
Tomatoes- Fresh tomatoes work best in the recipe. Roma Tomatoes are best to use in the recipe. Among the Indian variety I use mix of Desi and Hybrid varieties.
Herbs- Onion, Ginger, Garlic and Fresh Coriander/Cilantro. These add so much flavour to the soup and also add on to the immune boasting and detox properties of the soup.
Spices- Whole Spices(Bay Leaf, Cinnamon stick, Cloves, Black Peppercorns), Cumin Powder, Jaggery Powder or any sweetener to balance the flavour, salt and oil. I do not add any other extra spice as the whole spices add enough of flavour to soup.
Veg. Stock or Water. You can also add garam masala or chaat masala to the soup for the extra spice and flavour.
How to make Beetroot Carrot and Tomato Soup
Making this soup is super easy and takes just few minutes in preparation and another couple of minutes to cook. You can cook this highly nutritious soup in pressure cooker(Stove-top or Electrical/Instant Pot).
How to make Beetroot Carrot and Tomato Soup in Instant Pot
- Making this soup in Instant Pot/Electrical Cooker is absolutely fuss free.
- Firstly switch on your IP at SAUTE Mode for 5 mins.
- Add oil, whole spices and then add chopped ginger garlic and then onions. Sauté onions till light pink and raw smell of garlic goes away. Sautéing helps to mellow down the flavours of ginger garlic and onion also complement the other ingredients used in the recipe.
- Then add chopped beetroot, carrot and tomato. Also, add the cumin powder, jaggery powder and salt.
- Add cilantro/fresh coriander and water or veg. stock.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode and then set PRESSURE COOK Mode for 5mins. and then 10 mins of Natural Pressure Release.
- Let the soup cool down a bit remove cinnamon stick(optional, some grind it with soup) and bay leaf.
- Then using a handheld immersion blender, blend it to smooth soup mix. OR, let it cool down and blend to fine soup mix in a high speed blender. Transfer the soup back to inner pot of IP and then give it a gentle boil (set the Sauté mode and boil soup for another 2-3 mins).
You can garnish with chopped green cilantro or add cream(dairy/vegan).
I do not strain the soup mix as to retain the fibers. But if you want you can strain the soup.
How to make Soup in stove top Pressure Cooker
Heat oil in pressure cooker on medium flame. Add whole spices and then ginger and garlic and then onions. Sauté till the raw smell of onions and garlic goes away.
Add the chopped vegetables, cilantro and spices.
Check this video where I have made the soup in Stovetop pressure cooker and have made it onion and garlic free. Click here for the VIDEO
How to make Soup in pot/pan on Stove-top
Making soup in an open pot/pan takes longer than making it in pressure cooker.
Follow the step from 3 and 4 in the IP section or Stove-top Pressure cooker then cover the pan and let veggies cook till soft and mushy on medium to low flame.
Using and immersion blender or in a blender jar, blend to smooth soup mix.
How to make Oil Free Beetroot Carrot and Tomato Soup
To make it oil free you can skip adding fresh garlic and onion. Raw garlic and onion without sautéing doesn't give an appetizing taste( my opinion) so, instead add garlic powder and onion powder.
Serve hot soup garnished with black pepper and cilantro. Add some bread croutons for the crunch.
You can also add a dollop of cream/butter(especially to kids).
The soup can also be served with toasted pita bread or light vegetable sandwiches for a light meal.
Storing and Shelf Life
Refrigerate the soup
This tomato beetroot and carrot soup can be refrigerated for 2-3 days in an airtight container. Reheat in a pan on stovetop or in microwave (High) for 1-2 mins. and serve as and when required.
Freeze the Soup
To freeze the soup, let it cool completely, divide it into portions and freeze in air tight freezer friendly container for a couple of weeks.
To serve the frozen soup, thaw and then reheat it.
Beetroot, Carrot and Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot or any Electric Pressure Cooker or
- Blender or Immersion Blender
- Chopping Board
- 1 Beetroot small
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Chopped Onion or 1 small onion
- Fresh Coriander Leaves/Cilantro handful
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves minced or finely chopped
- Fresh Ginger small piece
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Jaggery powder or any sweetener/sugar
- Salt as per taste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 Black Peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables. Peel beetroot and carrots.1 Beetroot, 3 Tomatoes, 3 Carrots
- Finely chop or mince garlic and ginger.2-3 Garlic Cloves, Fresh Ginger
- Switch on the Instant Pot on SAUTE MODE for 5 mins.
- Add and heat oil, add whole spices.1-2 tsp Oil, 1 Bay Leaf, 1 Cinnamon stick, 4-5 Black Peppercorns, 4-5 Cloves
- Add ginger and garlic and sauté for a min.. Then add onion.
- Sauté onion till it is light pink.2 tbsp Chopped Onion
- Then add chopped beetroot, carrots and tomatoes.
- Add the vegetables and powdered spices and fresh coriander.1 tsp Cumin Powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala, 1 tsp Jaggery powder, Salt, Fresh Coriander Leaves/Cilantro
- Add salt and vegetable stock or water. The level of water or broth should be a little above then the vegetables.
- Cancel the SAUTE mode.
- Cover and seal the lid and set the PRESURE COOK MODE for 5 mins(HIGH).
- After the cooking time wait for Natural Pressure Release.
- Open let the vegetables cool a bit.
- Take out the bay leaf. You can keep the cinnamon stick or keep it and blend it with vegetables.
- With the help of immersion blender puree soup to smooth mix. Or, puree using a blender.
- Boil soup for 1-2 mins.
- Serve hot garnish with chopped fresh coriander and black pepper powder(optional).
Storing and Reheating
- When making in bulk or to store the leftovers, refrigerate for 2-3 days in an airtight container. Freeze the soup in portions in freezer friendly airtight containers.
- Reheat refrigerated soup on stovetop in a pan or microwave it.
- To reheat the frozen soup, first thaw it and then reheat in a pan on stovetop or microwave.
- Serve garnished with black pepper(optional) and chopped coriander.
Do try this try this delicious healthy and fibre rich soup. It is good to have when not feeling well, on a cold and chilly winter evening or rainy day. Make it a part of you diet/weight management plans. You can also serve it as an appetizer or starter .
Also, whenever you try the recipe, I will love to hear/share your feedback or any queries in the comment section below. I will try to answer your queries as soon as possible.
A small request, please rate the recipe as per your experience or feedback. Your feedback and ratings help my site in more google visibility and higher google ratings.
If you like my work, then add you mail id in the box below and HIT the SUBSCRIBE button to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.
Thanks for stopping by!! Keep coming back!!