Chocolate and Walnut Biscotti is a variation of traditional Italian Almond Biscuits that originated Tuscan city of Prato.
The Italian word biscotto(plural, biscotti) means "Twice Cooked" and these traditional Italian-style Biscotti is made by the bar-method- baked, sliced and baked again until crisp. These are now popular all over the world. Many flavour variations of the traditional cookie are made today and Chocolate Walnut Biscotti is one of them. Another name for Biscotti is Cantucci and these are traditionally served with a a drink known as Van Santo. But you can always enjoy it your coffee, tea or hot chocolate!
In earlier times when oven were more primitive, double cooking was one method of producing dry, crisp flour goods. Dryness was desirable for these items because the low moisture content meant they can be stored for longer time.
Indian Cake Rusk is very close to Biscotti, which is a variation of cake that twice baked.
Ingredients for Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
Flour- Generally All Purpose Flour or Maida is used to make Biscotti.Since I now use Whole Wheat Flour or other fibrous flours in my baking, I skip it totally. I add some ration of Almond Flour, so that Whole Wheat Biscotti is not too hard, as kids do not like very hard biscotti. You can also use APF or 50:50 ratio of both the flour. You can also skip Almond flour if it is not available , add the same amount of the whole wheat flour.
Pls. Note .. Whole Wheat flour absorbs more liquid than All Purpose Flour. So add milk accordingly with tbsp as required.
Cocoa Powder- A good quality Cocoa Powder as it is Chocolate Walnut Biscotti!!
Walnuts- Roast the nut that you add in biscotti, the roasted nuts really enhances the taste. You can use any combination of nut here not only walnut. Almonds, Pecans, Hazelnuts can also be used in the recipe.
Eggs- 2 large eggs as leavener
Flavour-You can add Vanilla or Orange flavour in these cookies, since these two go best with chocolate. Also, you can add finely chopped orange peel or freshly grated orange zest for enhanced orange flavour. Here in the recipe I have used Vanilla Essence.
Butter- I used salted butter here. If using unsalted butter add about ¼ tsp of salt.
Chocolate Chips- My kids love chopped chocolate or choco chips (white or dark), use any of your choice. Or, skip if you want.
Milk as required.
How to make Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
We use creaming method to make Biscotti. Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs beat for a min. Add flour, nuts, chocolate(choco chips) and bind the dough together using little milk(if required).
Roast Walnuts in oven or on stove in a pan, then cool completely, chop and add in the batter.
The dough for biscotti should not be like the cake batter. It is just like cookie batter. The dough is shaped into logs, and refrigerated , baked then cooled. The cooled log is then cut into slices and then the slices are baked again from both the sides.
Preheat oven at 180°C or 350°F and then lower the temperature to 160°C or 320°F. Lower baking temperatures helps in the spreading of the dough.
In OTG keep the mode to both rods on with fan and place the tray in middle.
Chocolate Walnut Biscotti for Christmas Baking
Christmas festivities are in air.. and soon everyone will be busy in baking your favourite cookies. XMasBaking is the theme for this fortnight at my facebook group Healthy Wellthy Cuisines.This wonderful theme was suggested by Vanitha Bhatt who blogs at curryandvanilla. Her Eggless Peppermint Mocha Cookies and Chocolate Afghan Cookies are a must try for the Holidays!!
Checkout some holidays bakes from my blog. Chocolate Chips Cookies,
Checkout the collage below for the steps to make Biscotti.
Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
- Mixing Bowls
- Electric or Hand Held Beaters
- 1½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ Cup Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Raw Sugar(cane/brown/coconut palm)
- ¼-½ Cup Walnuts/Pecans
- ¼ Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Butter 100gms
- 2 large Eggs
- ¼ Cup Milk
- Toast walnuts in oven or in a pan on stove top.
- In oven, take walnuts on a baking sheet, and toast for 8-10 mins. Take out of the oven. let it cool completely.
- To roast on skillet, keep on stirring in skillet/pan on stove top on medium flame, till it gives aroma of roasted nuts.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F for 15 mins(preheat timings apply for otg)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar.
- Add eggs one by one and vanilla essence. Beat and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, white choco chips and fold lightly.
- Use hand to bind the dough. Do not knead the dough. Just lightly bind it.
- Transfer to baking silicone sheet or parchment paper then shape in log form.
- Then carefully transfer to baking tray.
- Lower the temp. of oven to 160°C or 320°F.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160°C or 320°F for 30 mins.
- Once done, take out of oven and let it cool completely.
- Again, preheat oven to 180°C or 350°C.
- Cut into thin slices of about ½" . Line on the baking tray as shown in the pic. Do it very carefully, pieces can crumble also.
- Then bake at 180°C or 350°C for 30 mins. each from both sides. Takes about an hour(60 mins.)
- Once done cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy with coffee/hot chocolate or masala tea.
Make this version of Italian Biscotti with walnuts, cocoa powder and white chocolate chips.A must include in your Holiday Bake (cookies and cakes). OR, bake it just like that for to have with milk or evening tea.
Whenever you make it, do give me your feedback in comments. You can post your feedback with the pic on my FB page or tag me on Instagram(#foodtrails25). Pin the recipe for later use.
If you like my work, then do HIT the FOLLOW button and SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get notifications on new posts and share the blog with your loved ones.