Easy Quick and so simple Restaurant Style Mexican Rice Recipe in Instant Pot, that you will love to have again, in the comfort of your home. Instant Pot Mexican Rice, a one pot meal and best side for the Mexican dishes like Burritos, Tacos or Mexican Rice Bowl. Or, serve as the main dish for quick and easy meals.
My kids also love to take this for their lunch and we also love to stuff the left over rice with some salad veggies for a quick burrito.
My favorite way having it is with some Pico de Gallo, sour cream. My kids too love this Burrito Rice Bowl just like served at their favorite Mexican restaurant topped with Sour cream, grilled paneer(Indian cottage cheese) or some grilled veggies(broccoli and mushrooms). Do check out my post Restaurant Style Mexican Rice Bowl.
This easy Vegetarian Mexican Rice is lightly spiced and the the right balance of flavours mainly coming from tomatoes. More reasons to make this light and delicious Mexican Rice is
- It's a one pot meal
- The recipe is adaptable, add your choice of veggies or simply skip it
- It is ready within minutes
- It's Gluten-free, Vegan
Mexican Rice/Spanish Rice
Mexican Rice another name for Spanish Rice. The place of origin is Mexico, only in US it is known as Spanish Rice. Another name for the Mexican Rice is Red Rice or Arroz Rojo. You can call it the Mexican version of Indian Tomato Rice.
the main ingredients are White Rice, tomatoes, garlic and onion. You can also add different veggies if you want it have it as main meal. It is basically used as a side with Mexican meals or as an ingredients in various Mexican dishes like burritos.
My family loves Mexican food as the flavours are very much alike our desi Indian Flavours.
Our another favorite Mexican dishes on the blog
Ingredients to make Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Long Grain Rice- I like to use long grain rice Basmati Rice as it gets fluffier when cooked, and I find it perfect to use in the recipe. You can also use Jasmine Rice or brown rice. You will have to adjust the ratio of water to different rice variety.
Vegetables- Colored Bell Peppers add a lot of color. Use any of your choice. I have also added sweet corn kernels. You can add peas, finely chopped green beans, baby corn which also go well the flavours.
Tomato Salsa- To get the restaurant style flavours, I love to add salsa (which can be store bought or homemade). Another favorite ingredient to get the restaurant style taste is Canned Tomatoes or Tomato Puree. If you do not want to add salsa add canned tomatoes.
Tomato Puree- I also added fresh tomato puree. Fresh tomatoes(country/desi in India) enhances the taste.
Herbs- Red Onion, Garlic, Jalapenos for lot of flavor. If you do not want spicy rice, take our carefully the seeds of jalapenos. Finely chopped fresh cilantro/coriander adds a tone of fresh flavours to the rice. Instead of cilantro you can also add spring onion greens or greens of fresh garlic if available, it makes a lot of difference in the taste with the extra garlicky kick.
Spices- Store bought Mexican Seasoning(optional), Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt and Oil. I have also added Mexican Seasoning(store -bought). Usually paprika is add to the Spanish Rice but since I did not have it I used Kashmiri Red Chili Powder which adds red color to rice. It is not very hot so can be used conveniently in the recipe.
How to make Mexican Rice In Instant Pot
I have Instant Pot Ultra 8 qt. in which I do all my IP cooking. The method and cook time remains the same for any IP model.
Firstly wash the rice nicely 2-3 times, till it get clear. I like to keep the rice soaked for about 15-20 mins, which ensures fluffier rice with long separate grains.
The another key to get separate grains is sauteing the rice before adding veggies, sauce/salsa and water/broth.
To start, plug in the IP and switch on the SAUTE MODE for 5 mins.
When the display shows HOT, add oil and the add finely onions and chopped garlic. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of garlic and onion goes away.
Then add rice(drain water completely) and saute till it starts to give fragrance or starts to turn translucent.
Add little water and deglaze the base of inner pot if rice sticks to it.
Then add chopped bell peppers, corn kernels, spices(cumin powder, red chilli powder/paprika), mexican seasoning and salt.
Cancel the SAUTE Mode.
Add tomato salsa and tomato puree(or canned tomatoes whichever you are using), then add water till the level of rice. For 1 cup of rice add 1 cup water or a little more less depending on the quality of rice you are using.
Do not stir the rice after adding water/stock and salsa+tomatoes(puree).
Seal the lid of IP and set the mode to PRESSURE COOK for 5 mins.
Once the timer shows the finish time, do not release the pressure, let it go off naturally.
Take off the lid and lightly fluff the rice.
Add chopped cilantro leaves and cover the pot with any other lid for 2-3 mins. LEt the flavours of cilantro infuse.
Can we make the Mexican Rice in Indian Pressure Cooker
Of course, follow the same procedure till the adding all the ingredients. Add water/stock, salsa and tomato puree and do not stir. Cover the lid and cook till 2-3 whistles in medium heat.
Checkout the recipe card for details.
Can we make the Mexican Rice in open pan
Before getting the IP, I always cooked rice either pressure cooker(Indian) or in open pan.
Checkout the recipe card for the detail steps.
Storage and long can we keep Spanish Rice
Keep the leftover in an air tight container and refrigerate. Stays good for about 1-2 days. I never kept it for long so can't comment.
Reheat in microwave on HIGH for 1 min. of till the rice is warm. Sprinkle some water before reheating in microwave.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot
- Measuring Spoons and Bowls
- 1 Cup Rice(Basmati
- ½ Cup Salsa (store bought/homemade)
- ½ Cup Fresh Tomato Puree
Vegetables and Herbs
- ½ Red Bell Pepper roughly chopped
- ½ Green Bell Pepper roughly chopped
- ¼ Cup Sweet Corn Kernels(or as required) frozen/fresh
- 1 Red Onion(Medium) finely chopped
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- Jalapeno(as required) chopped
- Fresh Cilantro for garnish handful
Spices and Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½-1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1-2 tsp Mexican Seasoning
- Salt as per taste
- Wash rice nicely 2-3 times or till the water is clear.
- Keep it soaked in water for about 15 mins.
- Prepare the veggies(onions, jalapeno, bell peppers, garlic, cilantro).
Cook Mexican Rice in Instant Pot
- To start, plug in the IP and switch on the SAUTE MODE for 5 mins.
- When the display shows HOT, add oil and the add finely onions and chopped garlic. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell of garlic and onion goes away.
- Then add rice(drain water completely) and saute till it starts to give fragrance or starts to turn translucent.
- Add little water and deglaze the base of inner pot if rice sticks to it.
- Then add chopped bell peppers, corn kernels, spices(cumin powder, red chilli powder/paprika), mexican seasoning and salt.
- Cancel the SAUTE Mode
- Add tomato salsa and tomato puree(or canned tomatoes whichever you are using), then add water till the level of rice. For 1 cup of rice add 1 cup water or a little more less depending on the quality of rice you are using.
- Do not stir the rice after adding water/stock and salsa+tomatoes(puree).
- Seal the lid of IP and set the mode to PRESSURE COOK for 5 mins.
- Once the timer shows the finish time, do not release the pressure, let it go off naturally.
- Take off the lid and lightly fluff the rice.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and cover the pot with any other lid for 2-3 mins. Let the flavours of cilantro infuse.
- Serve hot.
Cook Mexican Rice in Indian Pressure Cooker
- Keep pressure cooker on low flame, add oil.
- Add finely chopped onions and garlic, and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add rice and then saute for 1-2 mins.
- Next add veggies and all the spices and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Add water/stock and then add salsa, tomato puree.
- Close the lid and cook rice for 2-3 whistles in low medium heat.
- Let it stand for few minutes till the pressure goes away.
- Fluff the rice lightly, add chopped cilantro and cover the cooker for 1-2 mins.
- Serve hot.
Do try this One Pot easy and quick to make Mexican Rice. Your family is going to love this rice so rich in flavours. Use it in making your favourite Mexican burritos or rice bowls.
Hope you will try the recipe and you and your loved ones will surely love it as much as my family loves it.
Do not forget to give your feedback and if you have any queries or questions on the recipes please do ask in the comments section.
Also, do rate the recipe as ratings helps to get more visibility on google searches. The rating tab is just above the comments section.
Fill in your mail id to SUBCRIBE to the blog, won't spam your mail box ?!!
Thank you for stopping by and keep coming back!!